The Adventure of Orinis

Chapter 3

Orinis stared dumbly at Iro. He didn’t quite believe what the elf had said, but something in the back of his mind said the elf wasn’t lying. He looked into the elf’s knowing, green eyes and saw the truth of his words. His chest tightened painfully.

“How…? Why…? What…?” He couldn’t find the words to finish his thoughts. He felt dizzy and faint. “I…” His eyes rolled back and he fell over, unconscious.

--

Mirikus stared at Orinis, his face hidden by the cowl of his cloak. A profound sorrow was in his eyes, and anyone looking closely enough could see it there. He made a move toward the unconscious centaur, only to be held back by Sapphire. He stared at her helplessly.

“Leave him be for a while,” she said softly. “Let Iro and Lewirand take care of him. Eventually he’ll come to trust you, but he must do so on his own.” She patted his arm gently and, sorrow in her own gaze, turned from him.

---

Orinis regained consciousness after what felt to him like hours. He stared up into the concerned faces of Lewirand and Iro.

“How long have you known this?” he asked once he could find his voice.

“Years, child,” Lewirand said. “Your great-aunt Sliora told us when we were adventuring together. She warned us not to tell you until you asked for yourself; else you would kill him where he stood. She feared that if you found out at all, you would murder him.” He and Iro exchanged glances as if they wondered whether she was right and he would kill Mirikus.

“Mirikus will not die by my hand,” Orinis said firmly. “I refuse to murder him. I am stronger than this force! I will not let it overtake me!” he shouted to the heavens. “I am stronger than these feelings,” he repeated. Lewirand smiled softly.

“Come, we must leave before the Pyron return.”

---

An evil presence filled the fortress in the seas. A dark, heavily cloaked figure stood at the top of the tallest spire of the structure. He grinned as he watched the events unfolding, the tale of the young centaur’s hatred for the human mage evident in his face and voice. He frowned when the young centaur claimed he was stronger than his feelings, but that would make the chase to rid himself of the mage that much more entertaining. The figure laughed uproariously as if someone had told a joke. He would be rid of the mage soon. All he had to do was wait.

---

Orinis and the group moved on after the incident. He stayed as far from Mirikus as he could to avoid temptation. He could feel the feelings of hurt and betrayal and the cries of revenge coming from his soul. He gritted his teeth and ignored the constant nagging, almost like an itch he couldn’t scratch, and hoped that it would eventually go away without having to resort to murder.

He lost track of time as they walked. He didn’t see the darkening sky or the changing types of trees and animals as they continued through the forests. They passed by towns and villages without him even seeing anything. Only when he smelled the salty air of the ocean did he stop and look around, confused.

“Where are we at?” he asked, looking around for his companions. His heart leapt as he realized he was alone. “Sapphire? Lewirand? Iro? Mirikus? Is anyone there?” he called out. No one answered him, and he rushed back into the forest to see if he could find his companions. He had no idea where he was or where he’d come from, only that he must have been walking for a fairly long time. It was nearly dark when he headed back into the woods. He huddled near trees, afraid to be alone, wishing someone would find him or he would find them.

He stumbled across a small seaside town where he stopped for the night, slumped over from exhaustion and the weight of the knowledge that he might never find his companions. He didn’t want to risk continuing on in the dark for fear he would get even more lost than he already was.

“Ahoy there, young centaur! You appear to be lost, young one. Might I offer you a place for the night?” An elderly man walked toward him, wobbling on his feet as he tried to use a cane to steady himself.

“Thank you for your kind offer, but I have no money to give you,” Orinis said sadly.

“Not to worry, my young sir. I’ll give you a room for the night and food in exchange for some tasks being done around the inn,” the man said, chuckling softly. “You can stay until you find who or what you’re looking for,” he offered. That sealed it for Orinis. He didn’t want to continue on by himself.

“I would be glad to assist you, sir,” he said politely, accompanying the old man back to the inn.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have about 6 chapters of this typed up, so I'll be updating this quite often :)

Leave a comment and let me know what you think!