How it all Started...

They Meet

>Third Person POV<
Sarah screamed and kicked the boy as hard as she could. “You fucking FREAK! Don’t ever TOUCH ME again!” she spun around and ran full speed down the clean white hallway towards the doors. As she rounded the corner, she heard a boy pleading with someone.
“Come on, Mikey, just tell them what they want to hear so I can take you home, don’t you miss mom and dad?”
She tried to stop, tried to at least slow down, but she was moving too fast, and they were too close. She launched into Mikey at full speed and they hit the marble floor with a spectacular smacking thud. He cried out in pain as his head hit the floor and she cried out as her head hit his. She could immediately taste blood in her mouth and she scrambled to try and get up.
The boy who had pleaded with Mikey pulled her up in shock, and looked at them both in worry. “Are you guys all right? Shit, what were you doing?” he asked her. Her lip was bleeding, already fat, and there was a bruise on her face from Alex, whom she had just kicked.
“I-God, I’m so sorry! Gosh, are you okay? I’m sorry!” She said, pulling away from the taller boy and helping Mikey up.
He groaned in pain and touched his head. “My God, why were you-“
“You fucking WHORE!” yelled another boy as he rounded the corner, looking for Sarah. He flew at her and tackled her to the floor and then leaned up so he could swing at her.
“Hey! HEY!” the other boy said, grabbing Alex as his left fist connected with Sarah’s face for the third time today.
“Goddamnit Alex! I told you to leave Sarah ALONE! No privileges for you for a month! Get up, let him go!” a doctor yelled as he came into view.
As the doctor yelled at Alex, Mikey walked over to Sarah and helped her up. “Are you okay?” he asked her quietly. His brown eyes studied her intently.
She was caught off guard by his demeanour and the look on his face. “I-um, I’m fine, I am, I’m sorry I hit you, I couldn’t really stop you know,” she replied just as quietly.
“Sarah? Sarah, you’re talking! And Mikey! I have to get the two people in the whole place who won’t say a word in the same room and then they talk?” the doctor demanded as an orderly dragged a fighting Alex away. Sarah and Mikey both shrugged at the same time and then Sarah turned very red and bolted down the hall to the left.
Mikey made to move but the doctor grabbed his arm. “Don’t bother. She’ll only start crying and have another panic attack. If she wants to talk to you, she will,” he said.
He went to object, but saw Gerard staring at him and he relented. “Mikey, mom’s waiting for me, but I’ll call you, okay?”
Mikey nodded silently and watched his older brother walk out of the hospital. After he was gone, Mikey turned and gave that left hallway one more look before following the doctor back to the main area.
>Sara's POV<
I fucking hate this place. The only reason I don’t stick my head down a toilet and flush it till I’m dead is because of my grandmother. She is the sweetest woman in the world and she is paying for me to be here. She wants me to get better, but I can’t. I hate this place, but I hate the outside more. I hate all of them, every one of those bastards who make fun of me for my scars and laugh because my clothes are hand me down and I never have anything new. Little did I know, I would soon be joining that outside world that I hated so much.

>Mikey’s POV<
Gee left in a bit of a huff that day upset that I still refused to tell the doctor why I wouldn’t talk to anyone or why I attacked that kid. He was a fuckin’ bully, what else do I need to say?

I didn’t see her again for three days. Dr. Nelson lectured me for refusing to act like a responsible teenager. Dude, I’m 15 years old, I don’t give a shit about acting responsible. I want my brother to come home and stop drinking. When I did run into her, there was yet another altercation, which I learned was common practice between her and Alex.
I was in the courtyard taking a walk when I heard raised voices. I immediately started walked slower, and went on the defensive, as I was used to being bullied, and this didn't sound good.

>Sarah’s POV<
I sighed as Alex walked past and then doubled back when he saw me. I hated this fucking kid, why wouldn’t he just leave me alone? I sat at a picnic table, on the table itself with my red-slippered feet on the bench. I was contemplating asking my Nana to send me another color when Alex found me. I hate red; I’ve always hated red. It's her favorite color. Anyway, I was staring at my slippers when I heard Alex shout; “Hey, loser, what are you going to cry about today? I notice no one ever comes to visit you, doesn’t anybody like you?”
I sighed somewhat tiredly. Alex has multiple personalities and is bipolar, so this routine gets old after awhile. “Actually, Alex, I just tell her to stay home,” I replied. “Why doesn’t anyone come to see you?” I asked.
“My mother comes to see me every week! What are you talking about?” he demanded, anger flaring up right away.
Damn. It looks like I’m dealing with ‘Josh’ again today, who needs anger management and is abusive. Just my fucking luck. “Well, I never see her. Ashamed of showing her the place?” I asked, ready for an argument. I wasn’t getting out of it now anyway.
“No,” he replied, giving me a dirty look. “And I never hear you on calls, either. I find it pretty damn hard to believe that you don’t ever talk to anybody. Where’s your mom, doesn’t she like you?” he asked with a knowing grin. I hated that fucking grin. With a red-hot passion.
“It’s none of your damn business if I talk to anyone or not! Why the hell do you care, you fucking schizo junkie?!” I demanded angrily. Dr. Nelson said I needed to work on my anger issues.
He did not smile, as usual, but looked-hurt? Did he just pout at me? Terrified, I jumped up and tried to push past him. He shoved me down hard and moved to kick me.

>Mikey’s POV<
I rounded the corner to hear her call him a schizo and saw him shove her to the ground. I cringed as she slid a few inches on her back. He kicked her and that’s when I did something that would change my life forever. I grabbed his arm and spun him around to face me. What was I doing? I never challenged a bully before. Yet I couldn’t watch him hit her again. “Dude, just back off, okay?” I said with actual venom in my voice. Where the hell did that come from?
He shoved away from me, ripping his arm from my grasp. “Fuck off,” he said before shoving me aside and walking away. I watched him leave before I turned to the girl who was staring up at me in confusion.
“You didn’t have to do that, you’re probably going to get into trouble,” she said as I helped her stand up. Her voice was wavering and she winced when she pulled her shirt off of her back.
“So what?” I asked, “You should probably go to the nurses station,” I said.
“But then they’re going to ask what happened.”
“Let me see it,” I said, spinning her around and waiting for her to lift her shirt.
She hesitated, but then lifted it just high enough for me to see that her back had a diagonal scrape across her shoulder blades. It was bleeding enough that I could see it seeping.
“Is it nasty?” she asked.
“Yeah, I can see it seeping,” I replied, dropping her shirt. “Come on, I’ll think of something quick. It’s not like it’ll be the first time.” I took her hand and led her back to the building.
“You…have to make up excuses a lot?” she asked quietly without looking at me.
Under normal circumstances I would not have responded. Yet for some reason, I didn’t even hesitate. “My brother used to stick up for me a lot, and he went to college this year so…”
“Oh. I know how that is. I didn’t have any relatives older than me, but it was usually worse dealing with my mom if I didn’t have an excuse than the bullies,” she replied. Then she gave me a horrified look and averted her eyes to the floor.
I was about to ask why when we reached the nurses’ station and she opened the door. “Sarah, what’s the matter?” the nurse asked.
She opened her mouth, but I spoke up first. “We were messing around outside and she tripped by the picnic table. You need to look at her back,” I said.
I’ve never seen anyone look so shocked in all their life. Between the nurse and Sarah, I was getting some pretty strange looks. “Well, turn around, Mikey go wait outside, okay?”

>Sarah’s POV<
I had no idea what was going on. I just told him something I’d never said to the doctor, and I was surprised that he had helped me. No one had ever done that before either. I had a really weird feeling in my stomach and I couldn’t place it. Usually I had this feeling when I was fighting with my mom or running from Kelsey’s gang, but this was somehow different. The nurse lifted my shirt and whistled when she saw my back. “What were you guys doing?” she asked.
“We were goofing around and I was teasing him a little, and he was trying to poke me in the ribs, but I fell over when I went to move away,” I said lying quicker than I could ever remember.
“Well, it’s going to sting, so hold on to the chair,” she said as she poured some peroxide onto a clump of cotton and dabbed it on my back.
“Oh SHIT,” I cried out through gritted teeth.
“Sarah!” The nurse and Mikey called out.
“I’m fine!” I said, taking a deep breath as she did it again. Holy hell did that hurt! After about five minutes, she stopped and put a bandage over the wound. By this time it took some work to get my teeth to come apart, they were pretty stuck together. She gave me some instructions and told me to be more careful. I walked out and stopped next to Mikey.
“Come on, South Park’s on, maybe we can get a tv,” he said simply before leading the way to the rec room.
“Not quite so fast, you two,” we heard Dr. Nelson call from behind us.
I froze, my heart rate shooting up immediately. Mikey was about to get in trouble because of me. Damn Alex and all of his fucking personalities. “What?” I asked, trying to sound neutral.
“Well that’s a first. What’s going on?” he asked.
“What do you mean?” Mikey asked back.
“Well we’re on a roll, aren’t we?” he replied, raising an eyebrow at us. I have no idea how Mikey and I formed this bond so quick, but after this, there was no going back. It was as if we’d known each other forever.
“I reckon?” I mumbled with a shrug. My throat was a bit sore, I was usually silent or yelling, there was no middle ground.
“I want to see the both of you in my office,” he said, but I didn’t think we were in trouble. Mikey took my hand again and led the way behind the doctor.
“Why do you keep doing that?” I asked as quietly as possible.
“What?” he asked back.
“That’s the second time you’ve stood up for me, and you’re holding my hand.”
“Is it calming?” he asked.
“Well…of course,” I replied, caught off guard by his reply.
“Then don’t worry about it,” he said back.
“What are you talking about?” Dr. Nelson asked.
“Nothing as of yet,” I replied. After that, however, I refused to say more than a few words. But somehow, this was more of a session for Mikey and I to observe each other than for the Doctor to talk to us. In fact, he didn’t ask that much at all, mostly watched our reactions. I hate it when he does that…