Status: COMPLETED <3

How Do You Like Me Now?

The Best Friend.

When I was in high school I was your typical nerd. I had the frizzy hair, the pimply face, the glasses, and the perfect grades; the whole shebang. So, naturally, I was picked on.

But out of every person that ever made fun of me, there was one person who made my life hell. It wasn’t the head cheerleader or the captain of the football team. I mean, sure, they made fun of me, but they were easy to bear. No, it was my best friend, Melissa Higgins; well, that’s what I thought she was. She wasn’t classified as a nerd like me, I guess you could call her ‘a normal.’

Melissa never outright tormented me; she did it in subtle, dexterous ways.

She would start rumors about me and then ‘comfort’ me when I ran out of the cafeteria crying. She would give me ‘remarkable’ advice when she knew it would have the opposite effect of I wanted. She would tell me we had a pop quiz on one subject when it was actually on a totally different one. In short, she would do things that best friends are supposed to, but in reality, pauperized me.

The last thing that she ever did to me, which in turn ended our friendship and made me realize how she had always been, happened at Senior Prom.

I didn’t usually go to school dances, too worried about school and all, but since I was second in my class, I had decided to indulge myself.

Since I was known as a nerd, you would probably understand how surprised I was when the captain of the baseball team, Josh Manning, asked me to go with him. Of course I said yes; well, more like screamed.