Status: Completed

Breaking Their Hold

The Beginning of the End

I didn't tell Brian that I'd agreed to go to prom with Tyler. He probably would've hopped on a plane and flown to Alabama just to kick Tyler's ass. As much as I would've enjoyed that, I didn't need Brian to go to jail.

The night before prom, I finally got my chance to ask Matt why he disapproved of me being with Brian.

"I don't disapprove," he said. "I just..." he trailed off and sighed.

"What?" I demanded. "C'mon, Matt. Tell me."

Matt was silent for another long moment. "I've known Bri for a long time," he said finally. "Since we were kids. I've seen him perfect his technique with the ladies. He can sweep any girl he sets his sights on off her feet, but it's just a game to him. And the fact that Zacky liked you too made it a situation that he couldn't resist."

"So you think I was just another challenge?"

"I won't say that. He cares about you, I just don't know if he cares about you the way you care about him."

"I'm not sure any of you care about me the way I care about y'all."

"Are you serious? Jordan, we're all crazy about you! I think Jimmy would've proposed while you were out here if you weren't so hung up on Brian."

I smiled involuntarily.

"We love you. And just so you know, if Brian hurts you, I'm going to fuck up his pretty face."

"Matt!"

"I'm just being honest."

"Well, that's sweet. Thank you."

"You're welcome. So, are you going to prom tomorrow?"

"Yeah. It's the second biggest event of senior year. I have to go."

Matt chuckled. "Still hung up on your image? Damn. Maybe I should have come back to Alabama, just to keep your ass in line."

"I wish you had. Actually, I wish I could've stayed in California with all of you guys."

"You mean Brian."

"I mean all of you. Although I do miss what Brian did for me..."

"Shut up."

I giggled. "Sorry."

"I forgive you." Matt sighed. "I love you, but I'm gonna let you go. It's late and I know your man wants to talk to you before you go to bed."

"Okay. I love you, too."

"Bye, doll."

"Bye, Matt."

The instant I closed my cell, it rang again. I answered without hesitation. "Hey."

"Hey," Brian echoed, his voice making me shiver.

I collapsed against my pillows. "What are you doing?"

"Playing guitar and thinking about this amazing girl."

"Oh, really? How amazing is she?"

"Better than anything any man has ever dreamed at any point in history."

"Wow. She kicks my ass."

Brian snickered. "Yeah."

"Bri?"

"What, beautiful?"

"Are you absolutely positive you can't fly out for prom?"

"Baby, you know I would if I could. There's just no way I can swing it."

"Not even if I help pay for your ticket?"

"It's not the money. I have commitments here."

"It's just one night."

"I can't. I'm sorry."

I sighed. "I know. I had to try, though."

"We'll see each other soon," he assured me. "I promise."

"Okay."

"You have a big day tomorrow. I'm going to let you go."

I suddenly felt like crying. "I'll call you before I leave tomorrow night."

"Alright. I'll talk to you then. And Jordan?"

"Hmm?"

"I expect pictures."

"Of course! Goodnight."

"Sweet dreams, beautiful."

*****

Jaimi, Tori, and I skipped school the next day. We went out for breakfast, then spent the afternoon at a salon. We all had manicures and pedicures and got our hair done. I somehow managed to keep up with the conversation, despite the fact that I was checking my phone every three seconds. By the time I returned home to put on my dress, my spirits were low. I'd hoped to hear from Brian. I knew I'd promised to call him before I left for the dance, but I'd thought he would have something to say to me earlier than that. We usually sent random texts to each other throughout the day.

I was ready by six-fifteen. My hair was piled on top of my head, two loose tendrils framing my face. I had been generous with the purple eyeshadow, black eyeliner, and pale pink lipgloss. My dress was dark purple--Brian's favorite color. It was strapless. The bodice fit tight and the full-length skirt was loose without flaring. There were slits up to mid-thigh on both sides of the skirt. Purple evening gloves and black strappy sandals completed the ensemble.

I called Brian's number, and he didn't answer. Further depressed, I found my keys and went out to my car. I met Jaimi, Tori, Sam, Tyler, and Evan at Chili's. I sneaked off twice during the meal to try Brian's cell, and he didn't answer either time. Finally, once I was in my car, driving to the country club where the dance was being held, I punched in Matt's number. It rang and rang and rang...

I pulled in at the country club, killed the engine, and rested my forehead against the wheel. My throat and nose burned with tears. Where was Brian? Why was he ignoring me?

Then, a horrible thing occurred to me. What if Brian was hurt? What if he'd been in another wreck? What if all the guys had been in the car and they were all injured, or worse? What if Brian's dad had lost it and done something stupid? What if...

I took a few deep breaths, trying to calm myself and reign in my imagination. There was no reason for me to think that anything was wrong. Brian could simply be busy. The guys could be having band practice. That would certainly explain why Brian and Matt weren't answering their phones; they couldn't hear their phones.

I sat up and checked my makeup in my rearview mirror. Perfect.

I dropped my cell into my tiny purse and climbed out of my car. Tyler, Sam, Evan, Jaimi, and Tori were waiting by the entrance.

"Oh, my God!" Jaimi squealed, spotting me first. "You look gorgeous!"

"Thank you."

Tyler offered me his arm and reluctantly, I took it. Jaimi and Evan led the way inside.

The first forty-five minutes were hell. I had to endure the Senior procession with the knowledge that all of our classmates believed me to be dating Tyler again. We had pictures taken, though I tried to get out of it.

The instant the photographer told us we could leave, I mumbled something about the bathroom and escaped to the front parlor of the country club. I had just flipped open my cell when I heard a throat clear softly behind me. I turned around.

And my cell slipped from my hand.

Brian was standing a few feet away in a black-on-black tuxedo. He looked stunning!

I stared, shocked into silence. He strode forward, cupped my face in his hands, and kissed me. I kissed him back fiercely, covering his hands with mine.

"I can't believe you're here," I said.

"I had to see you." He pressed his lips to mine again, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close. "You look beautiful. Pictures wouldn't have done you justice."

"Brian." I giggled. "I'm going to drag you out of here."

"Please do," he said, voice low and husky.

"SUNSHINE!"

Brian jumped back just in time. Jimmy picked me up and twirled me around. Setting me back down, he pecked my lips in a sweet little kiss.

"Wow, Jimmy," I said, finally getting the chance to look him over. "You clean up nicely." He was in a pinstripe suit.

Matt, Zacky, and Johnny filed in. Matt and Johnny were in standard tuxedos. Zacky had on a white dress shirt, black bow tie, black vest, and black slacks.

"Damn, baby, you look sexy as hell," Zacky said, hugging me tightly.

I grinned. "So do you."

"Ready to get out of here?" Matt asked.

"Yeah, let's--" I broke off.

Happiness was flowing through me, a happiness I hadn't known until I met the five guys now gathered around me. I looked at each of them. They weren't the kind of guys who rented tuxes and attended proms. They were the ones who skipped the dances and threw their own parties. Yet, they were here. They'd come all the way from California for a prom, and they all looked positively beautiful. Perfect. It seemed a shame for them to have traveled all this way and no one see them.

"Brian."

"What?" he queried.

"Can you wait a little while for that whole dragging-you-out-of-here thing?"

He smiled. "It'll be hard, but I'll manage."

"Damn right it'll be hard," Jimmy remarked, and Matt smacked him across the back of the head.

"I want to stay," I said.

The guys looked at me in surprise.

"C'mon!" I urged. "I want to make everyone jealous!" I grabbed Brian's hand and tugged him towards the ballroom.

I made my grand entrance with the five breathtakingly beautiful guys from Huntington Beach, California, and discovered that Tyler had been right when he said that everyone watched the things I did as if I was some kind of small-town celebrity. It felt like every eye in the room was on us. Whispers swept from the front of the room to the back. And Tyler...My smile widened. Tyler had the expression one might wear if one had just been punched in the stomach.

"Your social status just plummeted," Zacky said quietly in my ear.

"How does that make you feel?" Jimmy questioned in a mock reporter voice.

"I feel fantastic," I murmured, looking up at Brian. "Dance with me?"

The happiness in his eyes was more than enough to convince me I'd done the right thing. He led me out to the center of the dance floor and wrapped me in his arms. I rested my head on his chest, breathing in his scent and thinking that there was nowhere in the world I'd rather be than here, now, with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this isn't the end. There will still be an epilogue and I'm thinking about writing a sequel (if there's enough demand for it. lol).

Thank you to all of those who have stuck with Jordan throughout all the drama! I really hope to hit 10 stars with these last two chapters; I'm at nine right now. =)