Status: Completed

Breaking Their Hold

I'm Starting to Think I Maybe Don't Hate You

I took extra shifts all weekend so I wouldn't have time to hang out with anyone. Jaimi and Tori stopped by to see me before going to the club Saturday night. Tyler called me Sunday night, and we talked about his cousin's trip to Bangkok.

Monday was uneventful, and Tuesday morning was pretty peaceful. I should have known it was too good to last.

I was walking towards my locker after sixth period on Wednesday. Brian, Matt, Johnny, and Jimmy were gathered around their lockers, talking quietly amongst themselves. As I passed them (carefully avoiding Matt's gaze), someone shoved me. Hard.

I fell against Brian, who instinctively grabbed me in order to keep me on my feet. I regained my balance and looked around.

"Nice save, Haner!" Zacky exclaimed.

"Zack, you could at least say excuse me," Matt said.

"Why?" Zacky returned. "I just gave her the thrill of her day--Brian's touching her."

Tyler was striding by and overheard Zacky's words. He stopped, eyes going to where Brian still had a loose grip on my arm. I quickly jerked away from Brian. "Ew." I wrinkled my nose. "Now I need to be decontaminated!" I breezed over to Tyler. He shot a dirty look at Brian and Zacky, laced his fingers with mine, and pulled me down the hallway.

We made our way to the gym for Athletics. Tyler didn't speak, but his jaw was clenched, so I knew he was angry. My heart was racing, and I admitted to myself that it was because of the physical contact with Brian.

"Jordan," Tyler said as I was opening the door of the girls' locker room.

I faced him. "What?"

"Did you like it?" he asked.

I knew perfectly well what he meant, but I played dumb. I didn't want him to know that the new guys were the first things on my mind. "Did I like what?"

His eyes flashed with anger. "That freak's hands all over you!"

I was startled by this show of rage and jealousy. "No."

He moved closer. "You didn't seem to mind it too much."

I took a step back, feeling a shiver of unease. "He barely touched me! He just caught me. Zacky's the one--"

Tyler's hand was suddenly over my mouth. "I'll take care of Zacky later. Right now, I'm talking to you about the other one." He backed me up against the locker room door.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. Matt had just stepped into view. Tyler turned to see what had my attention. Matt was staring at us, and he looked pissed.

"Do you mind?" Tyler said. "I'm talking to my girlfriend."

Matt continued to glare silently.

"We'll finish this later," Tyler told me. He went to the end of the hallway and vanished into the boys' locker room.

I glanced at Matt. He didn't seem pissed anymore. His eyes held an emotion closer to concern. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I snapped. I yanked open the locker room door and paused. "Thanks," I mumbled, giving him a small smile. I walked into the locker room before he could respond.

I didn't speak to Tyler at all during gym and after class, I headed to my car without saying goodbye.

"Jordan!" Tyler grabbed my arm before I could get in the car. "Are you mad at me?"

"Gee," I drawled sarcastically. "What gave you THAT idea?"

"What'd I do?" he questioned cluelessly.

I gave him an exasperated look. "Yelling at me for something I couldn't control. Ring any bells?"

"I didn't like seeing another guy touching you," he defended himself.

I nodded. "I know. But it wasn't my fault."

"I'm sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have yelled at you. I should've just kicked Zacky's ass...and Brian's."

I barely refrained from rolling my eyes. "Listen, I think we need to take a break, okay?"

He almost argued, I could tell. Instead, he let go of my arm. "Okay. See ya tomorrow."

I watched him walk away and didn't feel even a trace of regret.

*****

"What the hell is this?" I demanded a week and a half later, approaching Tori, Jaimi, Evan, Tyler, and Sam, who were all gathered around Tyler's locker.

I held up a piece of paper that had been taped to the wall of the girls' bathroom. "A party? At my house?" I crossed my arms over my chest. "When did I agree to this?"

"You didn't," Tori said, admiring herself in her compact mirror.

"Then what is this?" I asked, again holding up the party announcement.

"An announcement for a party at your house," Tori replied.

I narrowed my eyes. "Why?"

"Because there's going to be a party at your house," Tori said, a trace of annoyance in her voice.

"No," I said, shaking my head.

"Didn't you say your parents are gone for the weekend?" Jaimi inquired.

"Yeah," I confirmed. "But—"

"Well," Jaimi cut me off. "It's the weekend of our annual Halloween bash. You know we throw all the biggest parties of the year, every year. And this year has to be bigger and better than ever because we're seniors."

I frowned. "So?"

"So you have the honor of throwing this exclusive bash at your house," Tori said. "You think you're popular now, wait until you've hosted a party this huge!"

"If you turn down this opportunity and people find out…" Jaimi trailed off, but the implication was clear. If I refused to host this party, it could hurt my reputation.

"Fine," I relented with a sigh. "I'll host the damn party."

"Great!" Jaimi said, smiling brightly. "You won't regret it."

"Don't worry about planning anything," Tori added, putting away her compact. "Jaimi and I will handle all the details."

I nodded. Tyler shut his locker and he, Evan, Sam, Tori, and Jaimi walked away.

"See ya at lunch!" Jaimi called back over her shoulder while Tori blew me a kiss.

I slumped against the row of lockers. I couldn't help the unhappiness that flooded through me. I didn't want to have a party. I wanted to lay around the house and daydream about Brian.

I looked up when Matt and Zacky strode into view. As they passed, Zacky reached out and snatched the paper announcing the party from my hands without even glancing at me. He stopped short less than a foot away and came back. Matt noticed Zacky was no longer beside him. He turned around, puzzled.

"You're having a party?" Zacky questioned.

I glared at him. "Yes."

"And you didn't invite me?" He removed his sunglasses and regarded me with mocking eyes. "I'm hurt."

"Good," I shot back coldly.

"Aww, baby," he said, leaning dangerously close. "You're breaking my heart."

I met his gaze. "You and all the other freaks not good enough to be invited."

I heard the paper crumple as his hand balled into a fist. He took a step away from me. "Matt, I think you were wrong about her," he commented.

My brow furrowed. "What about me?"

Zacky started down the hallway. Matt set off after him.

"Zacky!" I hated myself for wanting to know. "What was Matt wrong about?"

They never looked back. I watched them until they were out of sight, feeling curious and frustrated.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm....what did Matt say about Jordan? Wanna find out? Okay, I need comments. I'd really like a comment from every person who reads this chapter. I don't want this story to be like "Sister of Syn" -- 89 subscribers, 257 readers, and only 38 comments. So, please, read and comment and subscribe!