Status: Completed

Breaking Their Hold

My Knight in Shining Armor

In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving break, I began talking to Tyler again. I didn't intend to get back with him, but getting along with him made my life easier since we had the same group of friends.

I didn't use Matt's number. I thought about it several times; however, I could never bring myself to call him. Hanging around with his friends and him would only complicate things.

My cell rang at three o'clock on Thanksgiving day. It was Tyler.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Jordan. What are you up to?"

"Nothing. Just watching Arsenic and Old Lace."

"Cool. So, do you have any plans for tonight?"

"Nope."

"Then come over for dinner," he proposed. "Jaimi, Tori, Sam, and Evan are going to be here."

"Okay," I agreed. "My car is at the mechanic's, though, so someone will have to pick me up."

"No problem. I'll be there at six-thirty." A click signaled the end of the call.

I finished Arsenic and Old Lace before getting ready for the Thanksgiving meal with my friends. I didn't bother with makeup, and my outfit consisted of an American Eagle shirt and blue jeans.

"You look nice," Tyler said when I answered his knock at six-thirty.

"Thanks," I murmured.

We talked about Christmas vacation on the way to his house. Apparently, my friends were planning a big ski trip for those two weeks off in December. And, of course, the biggest New Year's Eve bash ever in the history of Danville High.

We reached Tyler's house and no one was there. I glanced at him. "Where are the others?"

"They went to get some alcohol," he said, starting up the walk to his front door. "Evan's dad is on a business trip, and he left some vodka for Evan. We reap the benefits." He grinned.

I followed Tyler inside. He dropped his keys on the table in the foyer, then faced me. "Can we talk before they get back? I need to get some stuff off my chest."

I nodded, dreading what was going to come out of his mouth. We went into the living room and sat on the large, sectional sofa.

"Jordan..." Tyler paused, considering his next words. "I shouldn't have ever said the things I did about you and the new guys. I'm really sorry. I know you would never sink to their level. You probably hated them touching you even more than I did."

I stayed silent. I didn't want him to think I might get back with him, but I wasn't going to tell him flat out that it was over for good. That would start an argument, and I really didn't want to make him mad. Remembering our fight in the gym after Zacky pushed me into Brian, I barely suppressed a shiver. No, making him angry was definitely a bad idea.

"I want to protect you," Tyler continued. "You mean a lot to me, and I really want another chance with you. I'll never yell at you again, I swear. So, what do you say?" He looked so hopeful. Saying no was going to piss him off severely.

"Um, let me think about it. Could you maybe get me a Coke or something and just give me a minute?"

"Sure thing." He jumped to his feet and vanished in the direction of the kitchen.

I dug out my cell and called Jaimi. "Hey, are you guys almost here?"

"Where?" Jaimi questioned.

"Tyler's."

"Uh, no. I'm at my sister's."

Shit! I thought. The others had never been going to come. It had been a set up. "Okay. 'Bye." I hung up. I had to get out of here.

Tyler came back at that moment. "Have you--" he broke off, eyes landing on the cell still clutched in my hand.

"It was my brother," I lied quickly. I didn't want him to know that I knew no one was coming.

Tyler handed me an ice-cold Coke and plopped down next to me. "Do I get a second chance? Jordan." He gripped my chin and forced me to look at him. "I really deserve one."

My heart was racing. I silently prayed that someone--anyone--would show up.

"You seem to need more convincing," he commented. He pressed his lips to mine.

I didn't respond, nor did I pull away. I was frozen with indecision and a hint of fear. Tyler ran his hands down my body, slipping one up my shirt and the other between my legs.

Suddenly, the sound of his cell ringing in another room gave me an excuse to draw away from him.

"Ignore it," he said breathlessly.

"But it could be one of the others," I pointed out, begging whatever higher power was listening to let that false remark make him answer the call.

He swore softly, got up, and left the room. I saw on my feet in a flash. I tiptoed to the doorway and listened. His voice seemed to be coming from the kitchen. I knew the front door wouldn't be visible from the kitchen.

Pulse pounding in my ears, I crept to the front door and out into the cold night air. The instant I was off the front walk, I broke into a run.

*****

My hands were numb. There were goosebumps all over my arms, and my teeth were chattering. I was practically frozen and the temperature was still dropping. I'd never realized how far Tyler lived from me until I tried walking the distance.

Spotting the next road sign, I stopped. I wasn't even halfway home. I jumped when my cell rang. I got it out of my pocket. My hands were shaking so badly I almost dropped it.

Tyler's name and number were on the screen. I hit the END button, directing his call to voicemail. Then I scrolled through my list of numbers. None of my friends could pick me up. I didn't feel like fabricating a lie to explain why I was walking home from Tyler's, and I sure as hell couldn't tell them the truth.

So who was there to call?

I reached Matt's number and hesitated. Could I?

What the hell? I decided. Even if he says no, it's not like I'll be any worse off.

I punched in his number. The call connected and I heard loud music.

"Hello!?" someone shouted.

"Matt?" I said.

"Uh, no. He's busy. May I take a message?"

"I really need to talk to him. It's important. Are you sure he can't talk?"

"I'll try to get him. Who is this?"

"Jordan."

"The cheerleader?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Hang on."

I paced while I waited in an attempt to get the blood flowing through my body and warm up a little. Finally, another voice came on the line. "Jordan?"

"Matt?"

"Yeah," the person confirmed. "Are you alright?"

I chose not to answer that. "I need you to come get me."

"Why? Where are you?"

I gave him directions to the road I was standing beside, using the high school as a starting point since I knew he could get there.

"I'll see you in about ten minutes," he said when I'd finished.

"Okay...and Matt?"

"What?"

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it." He hung up.

Hugging myself, I continued pacing. I could barely feel my toes by the time Matt arrived. He jumped out of the car, shrugged off his jacket, and wrapped me in it. "What the hell are you doing out here?" he asked, opening the passenger door for me. "Did your car break down?" He went around to the driver's side and climbed in. He cranked up the heat, then faced me.

"My car didn't break down," I murmured, not looking at him.

"Jordan, what's going on?"

I took a deep breath and launched into the story, recounting everything that had happened since Tyler called me at three o'clock. Matt's hazel eyes flashed with anger when I got to the part where Tyler was about to force himself on me if he hadn't been interrupted by a phone call.

"...so I ran out the front door and ended up here," I concluded.

"Why did you call me?" Matt queried.

I glanced at him, arching an eyebrow. "How was I supposed to explain to my friends why I was stranded?"

Matt frowned. "You explained it to me."

"Yeah, but you're not--" I broke off.

"I'm not your friend?" Matt guessed. "Was that what you were going to say?"

I stayed silent.

"You didn't want to create another lie for your friends," he remarked. "You know, it's amazing how honest you are with someone you don't consider a friend. And how dishonest you are with your so-called friends."

"Whatever. I don't care what you think. It's none of your business."

"Well, I know I'm not one of the golden few," Matt said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "But do you want to have Thanksgiving dinner with me and the guys?"

I hesitated. There was no reason to say no. None of my friends would ever know.

"Sure," I replied.

My cell rang as we started for the place Matt and his friends were staying. It was Tyler again. I turned off my phone and snuggled more deeply inside Matt's jacket.

*****

"Hey, guys!" Matt said loudly, leading me into the huge living room. "Look who I found roaming the mean streets of Danville." He pointed at Zacky as every eye in the room focused on me. "No hooker jokes, Baker."

Zacky widened his green eyes innocently. "Wouldn't dream of it, boss."

I didn't miss the glance Brian and Zacky exchanged after taking in my disheveled appearance and the fact that I was still wrapped in Matt's jacket.

"Hold it!" A guy I didn't recognize was staring at Johnny and Jimmy, feigning betrayal. "How come no one bothered to mention that girls from Alabama look like that?" He pointed at me.

I blushed.

"Yeah!" a second guy I didn't know cried in mock outrage. He jumped to his feet, expression identical to the first guy's. In fact, the expressions the two guys wore were perfectly identical because their features were almost perfectly identical. They were twins. Very attractive twins.

"Jordan, these two lunatics are the Berry twins," Matt announced. "Jason and Matty. They're visiting from California."

"Call me JB Diz," the more muscular twin said, approaching and sticking out his hand. "You're not one of the bitches Zack has been telling us about, are you?" he asked as we shook hands.

My eyes flicked to Zacky. He stared back, completely unrepentant. I smiled at JB. "Are you kidding? I'm the queen bitch!"

Jimmy, Johnny, and Matt grinned. Brian looked down, fighting a smile. Zacky glowered at me, jaw clenched.

"Really?" JB looked me over appraisingly. "Well, then Zack is an idiot. I wouldn't waste time fighting with you, that's for sure. Not when we could be doing other, more enjoyable things."

Matt rolled his eyes. "Thank you, JB Diz." He faced me. "Are you hungry?"

I realized the nausea I'd felt at Tyler's was gone. The smell of food was strong here, and it woke my hunger with a vengeance. "Yeah."

"Then let's fuckin' grub!" Jimmy exclaimed, grabbing my hand and dragging me into the next room, which was the kitchen. I was shocked to find an actual meal waiting: turkey, ham, rolls, potato salad, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and sweet potato casserole.

Matt noticed my surprise and laughed. "I invited you to Thanksgiving dinner, didn't I? What did you expect?"

"Not this." I looked at the guys curiously. "Who made all this?"

Matt tried to look offended. "What makes you think it wasn't us?"

I snorted. "Y'all hardly seem the type to cook anything that requires more effort than simply sticking it in the microwave."

"Because we're guys?" Matt said.

"Because you're high school students."

"Well, I hate to tell you this, but you're wrong."

"Okay. So who made it?"

There was a moment of silence. Matt now seemed to regret admitting that one or more of them could cook.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh, come on! Being able to cook isn't something to be ashamed of. It's actually really hot."

"It was Brian," Matty said.

"I helped!" Johnny interjected.

I couldn't stop my gaze from moving to Brian. There was the faintest hint of a blush coloring his cheeks, but he lifted his chin defiantly, as if daring me to comment. "I'm impressed," I said softly, and the corners of his mouth twitched with an almost smile.

"I helped!" Johnny repeated. "Didn't I, Bri?"

Brian exhaled loudly. "Yes, Johnny. You helped."

"What did you help with?" JB queried.

"The rolls," Johnny replied proudly.

"Great," JB said. "Now I know not to eat them."

Johnny scowled. Brian chuckled. "Don't worry, JB. All Johnny did was open the can. I would never actually let him cook."

Johnny stuck his tongue out at Brian.

"JB, man, you should've known Johnny didn't cook," Jimmy chimed in. "If he had, we wouldn't have a house right now. Just a crater."

"Ha ha," Johnny muttered while everyone else laughed.

"Aww, Johnny, we're just teasing! We love you, man!" JB threw his arms around Johnny.

"Get off me!" Johnny yelled, struggling and laughing.

Jimmy joined the fray and the three of them ended up on the floor, Johnny pinned under the combined weight of Jimmy and JB.

"Alright! Break it up, you three!" Matt ordered. "You act like you were raised by wolves."

JB threw his head back and howled. Matt shoved him playfully.

"Can we fucking eat at some point tonight?" Zacky snapped impatiently from his position in the doorway.

Silence fell. Matt shot Zacky an unreadable look before turning to me and saying, "Ladies first."

Dinner was an enjoyable affair. The guys entertained with stories about their friends from California. JB and Matty caught them up on all the things they were missing while in Alabama. Zacky and I were the quietest ones throughout the meal. Zacky was sulking; I was listening, totally engrossed in the stories of the world they'd left behind. When I asked why they came here, no one answered. Jimmy quickly changed the subject.

After dinner, the guys decided to watch Night of the Living Dead. We all sprawled about the living room in various positions, every light in the house turned off. I didn't even realize I'd fallen asleep until Matt shook me awake gently. "Jordan, it's after midnight. I need to get you home."

I sat up and stretched. I could hear rhythmic breathing and someone's soft snores.

"I've gotta hit the head, then we'll go," Matt whispered.

I nodded. He left the room through the archway that opened onto the kitchen. I got to my feet and tiptoed to the front hallway to wait. A sound behind me made me glance back, expecting Matt. Zacky stood about a foot away, glaring at me. I didn't speak. It was obvious Zacky had something to say and I would do better to just listen.

"What do you want?" he inquired finally.

I frowned. "Excuse me?"

"Don't act innocent," he sneered. "You may have everyone else fooled, but I see right through you."

"What are you talking about?"

"You use people. You don't talk to anyone unless they can do something for you. What do you hope to gain by convincing my friends that you aren't just a stupid, stuck-up bitch?"

Matt appeared at that moment, saving me from having to respond. "Ready to go?"

Tearing my gaze from Zacky's, I nodded.

"You'll need a jacket," Matt said.

"I left yours in the living room," I said. "Hang on."

"No." He stopped me. "You'll wake them up. You can borrow one of the extras." He opened the hall closet and pulled out a black leather jacket.

Zacky's eyes narrowed. "Shouldn't you maybe ask Brian before you give her his favorite jacket?"

"She'll just need it 'til the car gets warm," Matt returned, sounding mildly annoyed. "I'll bring it straight back, I swear." Sarcasm edged his tone.

Zacky glared.

"C'mon." Matt picked up his keys from the table by the door.

I put on Brian's jacket and followed Matt to the car. I couldn't help noticing the smell of Brian's jacket. Leather, some musky cologne, and underneath it all, a scent that was simply him. I recognized the last from my moments against him in the hall at school all those weeks ago.

We reached my house and I reluctantly relinquished the jacket. "Thanks," I said awkwardly. "I had fun."

Matt smiled. "I'm glad."

Impulsively, I leaned over and pecked him on the cheek. "See you Monday." I climbed out of the car and ran inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone else want to kick Tyler's ass? And Jordan's, too, for being a complete idiot? lol.

Read, comment, and subscribe! Thanks to those who already have.