Status: It's being worked on (:

Daisies at Dawn

Dawn's Different

The alarm hadn’t rung, yet I was awake. Noise awakened me. I turned over and noticed, much to my dismay, that the shade was open to the window separating my room and the main room of the basement in it sat Leah, Seth and their friends. I sat up and brushed the stray strands of hair away from my face.

One of the boy’s stood up and took off his sneakers, “I’m going to go have a chat with those leeches, I’ll be back in a while.”

Leah rolled her eyes and continued mumbling to the others, who all seemed to lean foward in a huddle. Embry sat back a bit and I watched as his brows furrowed, and then raised. He quickly leaned in again and then everyone sat back. I got out of bed and put on my glasses and flip-flops that I used as ‘slippers’ during the summer.

Seth walked into my room without knocking. “Hey sunrise, how’d you sleep?”

I gave him a cheeky smile, “Great, how’d you wake up this morning?”

“Oh, very funny,” He mocked and pushed my shoulder, knocking me back onto my bed. I stood up again and let my hair out so I could brush it.

“I assume you’re not starting school at La Push on Wednesday, huh?”

I looked up at Seth and smiled a bit, “I told you last night, or were you in the bathroom? I got my highschool diploma; I graduated early because I have enough credits.”

His shoulders dropped a bit, “Aw, I was excited to see you in the halls being a senior and all; and you, Paul, Jared, Quil, and Jacob would’ve all been in my lunch, but now its just Paul, Jared, Quil, and Jakey. They’re no fun.”

“I heard that.” Someone said from outside.

Seth smiled and then held his hand out, “C’mon you need to meet everyone, speaking that you are going to be here for a while.”

I was led into the main room while Seth ran upstairs and sat down on the fluffy carpet infront of the television which had just been muted. I tied my hair back and waited for Seth to come back.

“Back! Okay here this is for you.” Seth handed me a mug of tea and I inhaled the sweet orange ginger scent. He knew my favorite. Now I remember why I consider him the best cousin ever.

Seth sat down on a recliner and smiled, “Okay, Dawn, this is Quil, Jared, and Paul, and you already met Jacob and Embry.”

I smiled at each boy and continued to sip at my tea.

“I guess that is it. I didn’t really plan this out well,” Seth said rubbing his neck.

I smiled and shrugged, “Do you have anything planned for today?”

“We were going to go to the cliffs. Do you want to come?”

I shrugged and placed my hand over the top of the decorative mug.

“I’ll bring a beach chair and watch. I wouldn’t mind getting some fresh air and vitamin D.” A smile spread across Seth’s face making me genuinely happy. He seemed happy to have me here, and that made me feel so much better. He also seemed like he wanted me to join his group of friends. That made me feel like I was less of a follower.

“I’m going to go brush my teeth and change into a suit. I’ll meet you upstairs in ten?” I said handing the almost empty mug back to Seth. He smiled and nodded and I walked to my room to get into a suit and shorts.

-x-

I jogged up the stairs about ten minutes later with my hair in a bun and a canvas bag on the crook of my elbow. It had my iPod, my book, extra sun-protectant, and my water bottle. I met Seth and his friends in the kitchen and attempted to eavesdrop as I put an orange and some watermelon in a tupperware to bring with me to the beach but I didn’t succeed. I couldn’t hear anything they were mumbling.

“I’m ready.” I said putting on my sunglasses. Seth smiled and I watched as Embry turned and looked at me as he licked his lips. I smiled back at Seth and linked arms with him as we made our way to the car.

“I’m surprised you didn’t come up in a big hat and flashy cover-up.” Seth said helping me into the car. 

I scoffed, “I’m Dawn Clearwater, not Blair Waldorf. Please, everything I own that is like a real label is either a knockoff or from an outlet.”

Seth got into the passenger side and Paul got in next to me with Jacob in the driver’s seat.

“Nice to meet you.” Paul said sticking out a hand. I smiled and shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you too. Do you go to school with Seth?”

Paul nodded, “I’m a senior. So what did you bring to read?”

I looked up at Paul who still had a small smile on his face. I had to admit I was a bit taken aback by his question. “Oh, uh, Water for Elephants. I was scheduled to read it during the summer for senior year, so I’m just going to read it. My neighbor told me it was a really good book.”

Paul nodded and took the book from my hand, reading the summary on the back, “Hm, sounds interesting.” He said handing it back to me.

I shrugged and put it back into my tote. I had brought two books with me to the West Coast, and I would need Seth to take me to the bookstore after I finished them, or show me how to get to the library. I took a sip from my water bottle and hasilty returned it to my bag as we made it to the beach.

-x-

I walked along the beach barefoot, with Seth. “So this is the beach we usually come to, and up there is the cliff, so if you want you can ‘set up camp’ here or up ontop of the cliff. But we’re all going to be both up there and down here, so you won’t ever really be alone.”

“I’ll stay down here,” I smiled and thanked Seth for carrying the beach chair for me. He was such the gentleman. I put my bag in the dry sand and removed my iPod and book. I watched as Seth ran into the forest where he said I could easily find the path to the top of the cliff. I looked at the top of the cliff and watched as someone jumped off and was gracefully engulfed by the gushing waters.

My phone beeped and I pulled it out noticing I had my first message since I got here. It was a message from my old best friend, Jennifer. It was a simple, “I miss you, whore.” and I laughed lightly at her words of affection. Remember the friend I told you about that I found pancakes were best for? Well this is her. I replied with an ‘I miss you too, slut.’ and an ‘I’m at the beach taking in some rays, I’ll call you tonight after I shower.’

I watched with a dry mouth as Jacob and Embry emerged from the water, their long hair wet and slicked back. Embry shook his head, water going everywhere, much like a dog, and then he laughed at something Jacob must’ve said.

I put a piece of water melon into my mouth and sucked the water out before chewing the fruit that I only ate during the summer. Together they walked over and sat infront of me.

“Do you want some fruit?” I asked suspiciously, holding out the clear container. If I had never lived in New York, I wouldn’t have questioned their sitting but because of my ex-residence, I immediately was suspicious.

“Thanks Dawn.” Jacob said taking an orange slice.

“Thank you,” Embry said taking a water melon slice. “So how do you like it here so far?” Embry asked biting off the red portion of the water melon and throwing the green and white part behind him into the water.

I bookmarked the spot in my book and shrugged, “I haven’t even been here for twenty four hours. I’ve seen two beaches and one of them was covered in drunken hormonal teens.”

Jacob’s head nodded as he sucked on the orange and pulled the peel apart from the inside. He copied Embry and threw the peel into the ocean. “We can take you to Port Angles tonght if you want. There’s a theatre and some good resturaunts and I think there’s an arcade or a club or whatever.”

I raised my sunglasses and studied Embry, “A club?”

“You should know what they are.” He laughed, “You are from New York City.”

I laughed, “I’m not dumb, I’ve been to one before, and I hated it. I was like constantly being attacked by men’s lower-half while my bestfriend was busy hooking up with a girl she found.”

“A girl she found?” Embry repeated.

“Yeah, my best friend is gay.” I said in a ‘duh’ kind of tone. “I’ll think about the offer. I‘m interested in seeing some of this beautiful state. I’ll talk to Seth when he comes down.”

They both stood up and stretched, and my mouth turned dry again at the sight of their bare, muscled chests. I take back what I said last night, or early this morning about Embry’s arms. I had to admit, they were pretty nice.

I picked up my book again and only got a page further before Seth came up from the water and over to me, “Jake and Embry mentioned their Port Angeles idea to me. I don’t care if you go, I’m just your cousin, not your protector, but I can’t go.”

I titled my head and bookmarked my spot. “What? Why?” I wanted my cousin there. He was like the bridge between his friends and me. I didn’t really want to go if he wasn’t going to be there. It would be very awkward.

“My mom’s not letting me out after I get back from here. I need to do my school summer projects.” He growled a bit and let out a huff of air. Everyone here seemed to always let out huffs and puffs of air.

“I can stay home and help you out. What books are they? I’ve probably read them.” I chuckled a bit to myself.


“No!” He said, a bit too quickly. “I think you should go. Then you’ll get to make friends better. You said so yourself, you’re going to be here for quite a while.” I sighed and shrugged.

“I don’t know Seth.”

“Please go. I want you to be as good friends with everyone as I am. It would make me feel more calm and less awkward about the situation. You said you don’t want to be put in an awkward situation.”

Why was he being so pushy about me going?

“I guess you’re right,” I sighed in defeat, “I’ll go.”

Seth smiled and pumped a fist into the air.

“Everyone is taking one last jump and then we’re all heading back. Do you want to try?”

“Oh! No! I’m content on dry land.” Seth just shrugged and ran into the forest.

I watched as one after another the boys jumped into the gorgeous water.

I folded up the chair and repacked my bag as everyone emerged from the water. I felt weird being the only girl in this group of tight-knit boys.

When I sat in the back of Jacob’scar again next to Paul I sucked on a slice of watermelon and offered the remaining fruit to the car.

Paul took an orange slice, Seth took one of each and Jacob took a watermelon slice. I chewed on the melon and leaned foward to spit the seeds out of Seth’s window while he did the same.

“I’ll swing by to get you at five,” Jacob said as Seth closed the door. “You comming Seth?”

“I can’t, I need to finish the summer assignments.”

“Oh, c’mon, Sethy. Please?” Seth just rolled his eyes and fist bumped Jacob.

We turned to the house and as soon as I entered I immediately made my way for the downstairs so I could shower.

-x-

My hair was up in a bun and I had another thirty minutes before Jacob was scheduled to show with his car, so I decided to paint my nails black and call Jennifer on the phone. She informed me how she had been talking to a girl recently who was definetly gay, and she was excited. I was excited for her too, because this meant she was getting over her ex who really hurt her. Jenn didn’t eat for a week after, and she never wanted to do anything which in turn made me extremely anxious and worried. I glanced at the clock and noticed I had five minutes. I said my goodbyes and promised a call in the near future before I headed upstairs to fill up my water bottle.

I glanced in the mirror that hung in the hall before I stepped outside to wait. I was repping New York tonight in my dark green sparkly Jet’s sweatshirt and green flip-flops. I opted for shorts and a sweatshirt to balance out the heat. I looked at my feet and wiggled my toes. I was going to miss the warmth, because I loved wearing flip flops. I checked to confirm I had my wallet and phone and stayed out on the porch.

I wasn’t waiting more than two minutes when Jacob pulled up with Embry in the passenger seat. Embry got out and moved into the back.

“You can stay in the front, its probaby more comfortable.” I said leaning into the car.

Embry shrugged, “I don’t mind.”

I sat down and buckled my seatbelt before looking at Jacob waiting for him to go. 

“Are we ready?” I asked awkwardly, I added in a smile hoping to ease my awkwardness.

“Do you have your iPod with you?” Jacob asked. I just nodded. “Here, plug it in.” He said handing me a cable that was linked to the radio

“What do you want to listen to?”

“Whatever you’re in the mood for.” Embry replied. “We have an hour or so drive so make it good.”

I settled on Red Hot Chili Peppers and sat back in the seat.

Jacob was the first to break the silence between the three of us in the car, “So tell be about your life in New York.”

“What do you want to know?”

He glanced over at me, and then back at Embry.

“What’s it like living in New York?” Embry asked.

I wasn’t too sure how to answer this question, “Fast paced. Loud. Fun. Dirty.”

“Sounds like sex.” Embry laughed.

“Like you would know.” I said sarcastically as I turned and looked to Embry.

Jacob let out a laugh and Embry gave me a flat look while I blushed. I was used to saying stuff like that to my close friends and I was embarrassed to slip up so easily. Saying stuff like that and not knowing people too well was a combonation that just added up to equal rudeness.

I giggled and shrugged, “Sorry.”

Embry copied my shrug and smiled, “As long as you’re talking. It’d be more weird if you were completely silent and like stayed attached to your phone.”

I smiled and nodded, “I’ll keep that in mind. So where are we headed?”

“Well what do you want to do?” Jacob asked.

I shrugged. I seemed to be doing that a lot since I arrived in my pink limo.

“Well we can just walk around, I’ve never seen this city. Or you said there is an arcade, we can go there. Or we can go to the movies. You know what is there, I don’t.”

Jacob shrugged, “Alright, we’ll see when we get there.”

The car fell silent again and The Zephyr Song emited from the speakers in Jacob’s car. I loved this song. I had to make a mental note to play it a little bit more often. 

When we arrived in Port Angles I hopped out of the car, let Embry out, and then stretched. I took a sip of my water and then met up with the two boys on the sidewalk.

“Which way?” I asked, turning to my left, and then to my right. It must’ve been an odd sight seeing a flat, skinny, short girl with two large muscular boys who were each atleast one and a half feet taller than her.

“Lets go this way.” Embry said waving. I turned to the right and walked inbetween the two guys.

“If you see a place you want to go into, just speak up, okay?” Embry said looking down at me. I nodded and put my water bottle back into my bag.

The first placed we happened upon was the arcade. The three of us unanimously agreed to enter into the arcade and buy twenty dollars worth of tokens.

“Should we do a game together?” Embry suggested walking in the direction of a driving game.

“If you want to get your ass kicked.” Jacob said sitting down in one. I sat down next to him and Embry was on the other side of me. We all entered the required tokens and chose the course and our car.

I frowned as I crossed the finish line in dead last.

“Told you so.” Jacob said before getting up and walking away.

“How about basketball?”

“You two can practically touch the rim, and the plastic guard is higher up than me; that is no fair.” I stood next to the basketball game to show them.

Embry laughed and Jacob walked back over.

“Well what do you want to play?”

I pointed to a shooting game that involved zombies. “Let’s do that.”

Embry crossed his arms, “Me versus you, loser passes to Jakey.”

“Deal.”

-x-

Embry dropped his gun and frowned, “Damn.”

I laughed and blew on the tip of the plastic gun.

Jacob laughed at Embry and I smiled, “Game on, wilderness boy.”

After about five minutes Jacob moodily slammed the gun into the holster and crossed his arms.

“Bullshit.”

“I won fair and square.” I said putting my gun away more civilized, a bigger smile growing on my face.

“What else is there to do in here?”

I shrugged and looked around, “Let’s go play...oh, let’s go play Air Hockey.”

We had enough tokens combined to play two games. It would be Jacob versus Embry and then the winner versus myself.

I smiled at sat back as I watched the boys viciously fight for points. They had hard, concentrated faces; their eyebrows were furrowed and their lips were smirking. Their arms were moving so quickly, shooting out to smack the puck back at each other.

Embry scored and stood up to cheer. I smiled and lightly clapped, and while he was celebrating Jacob snapped the puck straight into the goal.

“That is not fair!” Embry said slamming his fist down.

“You were busy.” Jacob laughed and bent down to prep for retaliation.

Embry smirked and shot the puck at Jacob, and the game was back on.

I watched excitedly and smirked when I held out my hand to accept the air hockey paddle from Jacob. He slammed into my palm and I just snatched it away. I watched suspiciously as Jacob walked over to Embry and whispered something in his ear. Embry smirked evily and looked at me.

I kept a poker face and slowly raised one eyebrow, “Serve it, brown boy.”

Embry smacked the puck so hard a I jumped back out of pure fear and watched regretfully as the puck slid into the goal.

I served the puck towards Embry and jumped back again when a loud, plastic to plastic snap reverberated through the air hockey lounge. When I looked up at Embry is disbelief he was smirking, his arms crossed.

I glanced at Jacob from the corner of my eye but he was focused on the TV attached to the corner of the lounge. I put the puck back down on the table and smacked into Embry’s area.

Embry snapped the puck relentlessly into my goal five more times in a row.

“Zero to seven,” He laughed waving his hands in my face as the three us us exited the arcade. I stood outside the entrance with my hands in my back pocket and glanced down the streets of Port Angeles. The awkwardness began to creep back up.

“C’mon let’s keep walking.” Embry said motioning to the right, away from the car.

“Remember, if you see somewhere you want to stop, just say so.”

We walked for another few blocks and I noticed up ahead that there was a store with soft white lights bordering the window. When we walked by I noticed it was a book store and I slowed down to read what books the owner had chose to display in the window. I noticed he had on display books that I had scheduled on my reading list.

I sucked on the biter of my bottle as I stared into the little shop. I turned around to tell the guys but they were already behind me.

“You want to go in?”
“Yeah.” I walked towards the door and was motioned in by Embry who held the door open for me, I smiled as a thank you and noticed the beautifully painted door. It was a light blue with pink roses and green leaves on the roses. It was gorgeous.

I walked around for a bit and glanced at the books the store held. There were books on every topic and I felt excitement bubble in my stomach. This was the type of shop that the girl or boy always found a odd book that turned out to have magical powers. I giggled at my fantasies and pulled out a medium width, gray book to read the synopsis.

“What are you giggling about?”

I looked up to see a boy, about my age. I put away the book and picked up my bottle, purposely giving the kid a strange look. Maybe I was nervous and a bit shy around Seth’s friends, but this kid was just being annoying. “Excuse me?”

The kid flashed a smile and walked towards me.

“I heard someone giggling, and it was really cute.”

Was this kid serious?

“I was laughing at myself.” I said shaply.

I wasn’t interested in flirting or being cutesy. The boy was cute, but I wasn’t interested in any boy at this time. Relationships were most definitely not my focus. All I wanted was to get settled in La Push, and make some friends. I didn’t want to be in a relationship. It was pointless and stupid and I had better and more important things to focus on.

I looked at the kid again who was still flashing me his, ‘award winning smile.’

“I’m going to go…”

After brushing past him, I made my way to the front window to retrieve The Body by Stephen King from the stack that sat near the front window and then made my way to the front counter.

“You like Stefan King too, huh?” He leaned against the counter and smiled at me. His smile was beginning to creep me out.

I rolled my eyes and put the book down so I wouldn’t accidentally hurt him. Excuse me for the sudden change in shyness, but this kid needed to leave me alone and he needed to learn how to properly pronounce names

“Can you please leave me alone?”

“It would be rude of me to leave a pretty girl like you alone.”

Jacob walked over and put a CD down on the counter and glared down at the kid. For once, I was thankful for his abnormal height. The kid’s face dropped as he said nothing and walked behind the counter and ring up Jacob’s CD, my book, and a thick vegetarian cook book before I paid for all three; I payed for Jacob’s CD in exchange for gas money.

I gave Jacob a look that said thank you and together we joined Embry outside.
Embry gave me a questioning look, “You were being pretty bold against that kid.”

Embry’s eyes made contact with mine and I shrugged, “I guess I’m just not who you thought I was.”

♠ ♠ ♠
To the Beach!!

Port Angeles

Rate, Comment, Subscribe (: