Status: In Progress

Let Go

Up All Night

“So he just what, asked you out?” Samantha asked, taking a sip of her martini.

Samantha Harrison was a successful writer who I had met in New York a few years ago at Columbia. And just like me, she moved to Pittsburgh on a whim. She and our other friends, Emma Kensley and Holly Peters, were sitting around a small table at a new restaurant on Carsons street.

I just nodded and bit off the olive on my drink while Emma ordered her third cosmo. “Why did you say no? I think it’s romantic.” She said and nodded at me in support. I was never the type of girl that easily fell for romance and I was sure my track record proved that.

“It was so long ago that—“ I paused, glancing down into my martini glass. I was a lawyer, always full of defensive arguments, but for the first time in my life I felt a loss for words. I let my finger glide across the cool glass and I smiled to myself. “I don’t know why I said no.“ I admitted, looking back up to my friends. Holly and Samantha exchanged glances and Emma just smiled back up to me.

And as I starred at my friends from across the table, a familiar sight caught my eye. There he was, at a corner table in the back, sitting with a drink in his hand and a smile on his face. I must have looked for too long because in a seconds time, his brown eyes fell on mine and I could feel myself growing tense. He smiled at me and excused himself from the table, walking up towards me.

“Oh god.” I said and tossed back my martini nervously while my friends tried their best not to look over towards him. “I’m going to the bar.” I said and got up, grabbing my silver clutch and maneuvering my way to the bar.

“Hey there, I’m Kris. Can I buy you a drink?” He asked and I turned away, shaking my head with a smile on my face.

“Are you stalking me?” I asked with a laugh and he shrugged.

“Maybe. If I said yes, would you let me buy you a drink?” he questioned with an easy grin and I found myself sinking back to exactly where I was six years ago. I shook my head and leaned against the bar, watching him for a moment.

“What are you doing, Kris?” I asked and he stared down at the table before turning his brown eyes back to me. There was something familiar there, something comforting and I found myself relaxing.

“Come on, Dahlia. I haven’t seen you for six years and you’re acting like you just forgot all about me. I know you haven’t.” he said and I found my smile fading away.

“That’s a little presumptuous, don’t you think?” I asked and I could feel myself falling into that defensive shell that kept us apart for too long in our childhood. Kris just shrugged casually, running a hand through his shaggy brown hair.

“I still think about you.” He said and I froze, finding myself suddenly unable to look at him. I looked down and traced the one of the pleats on my clutch.

“Come over.” He said and my eyes shot up to meet his.

“What?” I asked, watching him carefully.

I could see a smile forming on his face, his expression lightening. “Come over to my place tomorrow night. I don’t have a game and we can order in Chinese and watch a movie. No New Yorker would turn down Chinese takeout.” He said and I found myself laughing again. I nodded with a smile, accepting his offer with a feeling of unbelief. Was this really happening all over again?

“This isn’t high school, watching a movie isn’t code for making out.” I said playfully and Kris smiled back to me. I reached in for my wallet, taking out a business card before flipping it to the back. I wrote my number neatly and slid the card towards him.

“Of course not. I’m a classy guy now, Dahlia.” He teased before hopping off of his barstool and making his way back to the table. “I’ll call you.” He said and I just nodded before turning to the bartender.

“One martini, please. Dry.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Up All Night -- Drake