‹ Prequel: Masquerade

The Wolf In Me

06

It so happened that Caroline was at the Grill. Walking in I could feel the nervousness in my stomach. What if I messed this thing up? I’m sure no one would be happy if I did. Coming towards Caroline I took a deep breath before I plunged into the plan. There was no going back now.

“Caroline,” I said going up to her. “I-I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“I’m fine,” she said stiffly. Clearly she was still upset over the whole thing. Not that I blamed her.

“Listen, Caroline, I had no idea what they were doing. I had no idea that they were going to kill you.”

“Yeah, well, you didn’t do anything about it either,” she said. She was about to walk by when I grabbed her arm. Quickly she pulled out of it. “Don’t touch me,” she said nastily. Then she kept walking.

Good thing we had came up with a plan B. There always was the chance she wouldn’t talk to me either. After all I was a werewolf. She was a vampire. As she was walking towards the exit Tyler came by and knocked into her.

She dropped her purse, the contents scattering across the floor. Tyler and Caroline both began to pick up the items. Without Caroline noticing I saw Tyler slip her cell phone into his back pocket. “I said ‘just leave me alone,’” said Caroline as she then angrily walked out.

Then going to Tyler I gave a big sigh. I wasn’t too sure that I was happy that we succeeded. I realized that I was becoming just as lost as Tyler. “Well we tried to talk to her at least,” I said attempting at making it better.

“Yeah,” agreed Tyler. We walked out the door and the nice fresh air hit us with a bit of a chill. “At least we got what we came for.”

“Yeah, I don’t think she suspected anything either. Gives us some time to actually do this.” Once we got in the car I took the phone from him I sent a text out to Elena.
Need to talk. Where are you?

Headed to the lake house with Stefan. U ok?

All good, never mind. Have fun.

xoxo

“Elena is at the lake house with Stefan. I’m guessing you know what she means.” I handed him the phone back where he slipped it into his pocket. We’d slip it back to her later.

“Yeah, Elena’s have a lake house out at the lake. It isn’t too far from here but it’s pretty remote. It’s called Dunham Lake.”

“Better tell Jules. She’ll want to plan right away. Same with Brady and Stevie.” Once we had left I had asked Tyler who everyone was. Tyler pulled out the Grill and began driving back to the camper. In my stomach I still had that uneasy feeling since I found out that Jules hadn’t left.

“This is all so confusing,” I said rubbing my temples trying to calm myself. “I don’t understand any of it.”

“Me either,” admitted Tyler. “Luckily we have Jules to explain this stuff to us.”

“Yeah,” I said beginning to appreciate her a bit more. She was there for us even if she did try and kill Caroline. It was after all what she knew. Vampires were the enemies. They always had been to her. It was only natural. I was beginning to realize that us liking vampires was more unusual.

Image

“She’s going to Dunham Lake,” Tyler told everyone. We were back and everyone was crowded around the outside of the camper again. “Her family has a house up there,” he explained.

“Nice,” said Brady. “Let’s go get our doppelganger.” He immediately moved away to confer with Jules. I could tell he was the leader but she wasn’t that far behind and if she didn’t approve, then it wouldn’t happen.

I stayed outside with Tyler, not wanting to see the cage inside again. That and I really didn’t want to be any more a part of it. I didn’t want to have to kidnap Elena. I felt guilty enough as it is without adding a crime to my list.

After they conversed Jules left and she wanted us to go inside. Brady would explain it all to us, the whole plan that they came up with. The whole plan seemed dangerous and completely out of my comfort zone. I told Brady that I didn’t want to do that.

He let me be able to stay behind. According to him, it shouldn’t take more than Tyler to help him. I would be just an unnecessary asset. Like that made sense. I stayed with them until then, not wanting to leave Tyler alone. I wanted his comfort. And I’d have to get used to the other wolves somehow.

Image

“We’re good to go,” said Brady once it was later at night. I could hear the sound of crickets replacing the birds. Brady moved towards the door and I tightened my grip on Tyler. I had a bad feeling about this. A really bad feeling.

“You up for this?” questioned Brady to Tyler. He hadn’t moved with Brady. I couldn’t see his face but I saw his tense posture. Brady came back in and sat at the table across from us. Apparently there was no rush.

“These people,” started Brady, “have done nothing but lie to you.”

“Only to protect us,” I argued instantly.

“Is that what they’re calling it? A lie, is a lie.” His words were true and I couldn’t help the feeling of resentment that coursed through me towards them.

“This girl that you’ve known since birth, she’s with the vampires now,” said Brady going on with whatever speech he had. “The ones who killed Mason. They’re the enemy. And if they break that curse, all of us are as good as dead.” He let his somber words fill the camper. It was true. At this point it was either us or them.

I hadn’t ever looked at the broader picture. It was always just Mystic Falls, it’s vampires, Tyler, and I. Here I could see me being safe, Stefan didn’t want to hurt us, neither did Caroline even after what we did.

But outside this little town were more vampires, and more werewolves. Ones that didn’t want peace, that would kill me without a second thought. And they could even come into this town if they wanted. The truth of it hit me like a ton of bricks.

“Are you up for this?” asked Brady again. This time Tyler only slightly hesitated in his response.

“Yes,” he said.

“Good. Cause if you wuss out you’re going to have me to deal with, you got it?” Well if that wasn’t a threat I didn’t know what was. My dislike for him immediately flared up again. This time even a bit stronger than before. No one threatened Tyler. No one.

They then left for the lake house, leaving me to go home and hope they’re okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I have the story finished. Yup, I have actually finished writing a story, even if it is as short as this one.

But no, this is not the last chapter.