Status: Slow Updates

Green Grass

Rachelle

Antony's recounting of his experience with the CitySafe guards earlier today does a lot to explain the presence of guard officials around my residence complex this morning. By some instance of dumb luck, I walked directly past them with no trouble whatsoever but, as Antony says, we cannot go back to our homes tonight, or at any time in the near future.

So, the three of us get comfortable in the cramped space, huddled with our blankets and space heater before the evening's broadcast.

"Well, now we'll definitely be able to broadcast every evening..." Antony says with a noncommittal shrug to the both of us. Tommy lets out a hollow laugh and I roll my eyes at him. "What? Just trying to lighten the mood a little bit."

"Do you think they'll be where I work? The guards?"

"Most likely," Tommy admits reluctantly, "I don't think you'll be able to go back."

There is an elongated silence and I sigh, asking the question that hangs in the air already, "How will we live like this?" They both look uncomfortably away, so I continue, "None of us have jobs anymore, but I am certain that you each have some amount of money and tokens aside. I know I do. And I've got plenty of extra ones from the diner; they gave them to us when the city was promoting the tokens."

They both nod in silence.

"I guess we'll have to make trips back home then," Antony says, grimacing slightly at the thought, "Best get it over with. I say we go in tomorrow night or the night after." Tommy nods in agreement, however hesitantly.

We should have enough supplies that we won't need to make too-frequent trips into the city, if we ration our things properly. I ask myself the question once again: how will we live like this? To me, right now, it doesn't seem possible; our only option is to take it one day at a time, trying to break the conditioned silence that hangs over the city.