Status: Slow Updates

Green Grass

Elizabeth

Walking out onto the sidewalk towards my employment building, the streets stretch out, interrupted by the towering, uniform buildings aligned in blocks. I hurry, briefcase in hand, at the same time as I always do, to start my daily travail. The plain grey concrete surrounding me offers security and surety, although a thought nags in the back of my mind. ".. dangers of their seemingly-structured lives..." I still have a hard time believing in any danger that could possibly be threatening me in between these strong cement corners and plain, empty streets.

The unbroken blankness suggests complete safety, where anything out of the ordinary could be spotted within a moment; even the people walking back and forth along the sidewalks are difficult to differentiate between. To a stranger, I could be any of them, and they could be me-- none of us pose a threat to each other in this organized and systematic city.

A blemish on the clean grey concrete catches my eye in the distance: a square of something else? Could that be? And why? The city-issued changes are all thoroughly warned in advance, with short, clear explanations as to how we would be benefitting. As I draw nearer, I recognize some kind of illustration or stamp on a plain white background. A few other citizens have begun to stop and observe this new post-up of the city. What could it mean?

Standing finally in front of the symbol, I see it is in the shape of the new currency coins in circulation, but the letter C in the middle is replaced with the image of a crown. The text, in bold letters reads as follows:

CHANGE KINGS
RADIO 7.7
PHONE CODE 005503


I don't understand the meaning, but the decimal-separated digits represent a radio dial number for a station and the 00 number is a dial code for a telephone. Perhaps a new city programming, judging by the stamped logo. Throughout the day, I continue to see identical images fixed onto the outsides of buildings around the main business sector of the city, and I note down the radio dial number. City programming is usually only modified when there is new information to be shared with the citizens.

For now, it is put out of my mind as I enter the revolving doors of the X-Track building, making my way towards the brushed silver elevator to the fifth floor, and my office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short but (hopefully) sweet, as I get the hang of this new Mibba.