‹ Prequel: I'm No Masterpiece
Status: Another drabble

At Last

A Love of My Own

"Dammit, dammit," I growl under my breath, pacing back in forth in my small room. I run my hands through my hair, my heart pounding in my ears. I couldn't. I should. But I have to. With a glance at the clock reavealing that I'm nearly twenty minutes late, I grab my coat and head out the door.

As I walk, I finger the object in my pocket, turning it over and over in my hand. Everytime I have to stop to wait for the light to change my heartbeat quickens for the loss of time. Finally, finally, I spot her, standing there in all her silky haired beauty. I slip out of the car, creeping soundlessly across the grass. She looks anxious, but her face relaxes when she spots me.

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting," I murmur, pushing aside the silk and kissing her forehead. She smiles back at me although the greyish blue orbs portray guilt.

"Of course not," she says, the lie evedent. I give her a look to tell her I know she's lying, and sigh, "Oh come now, love, you know I know you better than that. Your lips are blue." I kiss her on the lips this time, they're numbed with cold, which tells me exactly how long she's been waiting for me. I pull away without another word and start tugging her towards the car.

I close the door behind her then walk around to my side, a smile playing on my lips.

"I've got something special planned for tonight," I say, to get her guessing about what I have in store for her. Her features light up, showing that my words have the desired effect.

"Do tell," she askes, a smile of her own forming. But I just grin, "Well then it wouldn't be a surprise, would it, love?" I press my lips gently to hers once more then start up the car, pulling away from our meeting place. As we drive, I get more and more nervous, my hands sweaty on the steering wheel. She however, seems not to notice. I pull into a small clearing of trees, a place I know very well from my childhood. I'm not sure what made me pick it, but it seems like the perfect place.

"We're here," I smile, stepping out and going back over to her side to get her door, but she looks more nervous than I feel.

Leaning, seemingly fearful against me, she whispers, "A-are you sure it's s-safe?" I put on an air of hurt, carefully taking ahold of her hand, green eyes meeting grey.

"Of course, don't you trust me?"

She smiles shakily, but nods, letting me pull her through the trees, which bend easily in our path. After what seems like hours, I'm ready to give up. Maybe I'm lost. Maybe this wasn't the place I thought it was. Maybe- a gasp of delight interupts my thoughts. I'm not lost, I know exactly where I am.

The look of amazment remains plastered onto her face as she walks into the wooden structure over looking the river. She stares at the reflection of the moon for a long moment than says, "Oh Liam! I-it's beautiful."

Slightly pleased with myself, I walk up behind her and loop my arms around her waist, pressing a gentle kiss to her neck before resting my chin on her shoulder. "Happy birthday, sweetheart."

Her head moves and her lips connect with mine in a soft kiss. "This is the best birthday ever, thank you." Lifting my head, I see my opportunity. I turn her to face me holding both her hands in mine. "I can make it better."

Another look of confusion crosses her features as she tilts her head at me. "How?"

I slide my hand into my pocket my fingers lingering. As I open my mouth, I know that it's now or never. "I've been wondering who to give this to for years, and I finally figured out, after so long, that it was meant to go to you all along." At long last, I take the velvety box out of my pocket, moving into the familar position most girls only ever dreampt about.

"Marry me, Eliza," I whisper, pressing the box into her hand. In that moment, she is just my beautiful Eliza, awkward and beautiful. Soft threads of strawberry blonde cascading down her shoulders. Her eyes meet mine and the kind of smile that can only mean something could split her lips.

"I will."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm half asleep at the moment, so I understand it's not awesome.
Get over it.