Status: Fin.

Just the Way You Are

Fourteen

Eve sat up in bed tiredly, yawning and rubbing her eyes as she reached for her cell phone that was still ringing it's morning alarm. "It's too loud..." She mumbled, taking a quick peek at the time that read 4:45 AM. "And way too early..."

After pressing "Stop", she collected herself and got out of bed at her own pace. She grabbed a hair band from her nightstand and pulled her hair back into a tight pony tail.

Eve wandered down the hallway and into the bathroom, flicking on the light and closing the door after her, making sure it was locked. The first thing she did was splash some water onto her face, waking herself up more than she already was. Eve grabbed a small hand towel and dried off her face soon after.

Eve glanced at the toilet and sauntered over to it, lifting up the lid. She grabbed her toothbrush from the drawer and took it out from it's container, kneeling down in front of the toilet.

"Eve, honey, don't you want more? You only served yourself one helping, and even that wasn't much." Darla inquired.

"No, I'm fine mom. I'm not hungry anymore." Eve replied reassuringly, though deep down she knew that she wanted another serving.

I can't take another, I have a shoot tomorrow. Eve reminded herself.

"Please, honey? It'd make me feel much better." Darla smiled at her daughter.

Dammit, Eve cursed, knowing that she'd have no choice but to oblige.

Eve was then served the last helping by Jacob and she stared at the food with reluctance. Her eyes glanced over at Dylan who was staring right back at her. Hesitantly, Eve reached for her fork and lifted it up above the plate. She was about to cut into the Lasagna, but was stopped by Dylan.

"Hey Eve, I'm still kinda hungry would you mind splitting with me because you have the last piece?"

I love you, Dylan...! Eve cried.

"Sure, Dyl," Eve then obliged immediately, putting more than half onto her plate.

Dylan was happy that she could help her sister keep it off, but now
she had the problem of eating all this fattening food. Dylan Saunders had never been one pound over weight in her life, and she planned on keeping it that way.

Eve ate what was on her plate quickly and Dylan ate most of the food before spooning it into Embry's mouth lovingly. Needless to say, Embry was quite happy to be fed by his imprint.

The rest of the night, Eve knew that Jacob and Darla stared at her funny for being so reluctant to eat. She knew that she couldn't let them find out about her not wanting to eat for weight. She knew that if she did, they'd go ballistic.

When she thought about it, she was more worried about how
Jacob would react instead of her own mother...

Eve sighed as she stared into the toilet bowl, calming her raging nerves by taking deep breaths. She opened her mouth and pushed the tip of the toothbrush towards her Uvula. Immediately she began to gag, coughing up a storm. She wasn't going to give up so easily though. She did it again and after another short coughing fit, she was throwing up into the bowl.

"Honey... honey, are you alright?"

Eve's eyes widened as she heard Darla's voice. Tears swelled up in her eyes as she began crying. She couldn't believe her mom had found her like this. When she had stopped regurgitating into the toilet, she grabbed toilet paper, wiped her mouth and threw it into the small crash can along with her toothbrush. Eve flushed the toilet while still hearing her mom ask her if she was fine.

After coughing a few more times, sickened by the stench of vomit, she answered. "Yea, I'm fine, mom. Don't worry."

After she had flushed it, she unlocked and opened the door to see Darla there with a worried expression. "You just threw up, Eve, how can you be 'fine'?"

"I am mom, don't worry. I just think that Lasagna last night didn't sit well with me, that's all."

"Eve, you've had that same lasagna since you could chew. Why would it affect you now?"

Eve shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know; or maybe it could've been the cold water yesterday when Jacob and I were at the beach."

"Well, if you're feeling sick, why don't you just cancel the photo shoot today? I'm sure that you can reschedule."

"Mom, I can't reschedule. That's very unprofessional." Eve sighed, turned towards the sink and washing her hands.

"Your health is more important than any job, Eve. Even you have to know that."

Those words struck her like a wrecking ball. Apparently not... She concluded.

"Mom, I'm sure that everything will be fine later on today." Eve reassured. "Don't worry. C'mon, let's go back to bed and get some sleep before we have to wake up again."

Darla sighed before agreeing and heading off to her own room again with Eve helping her every step of the way. Eve headed back into the bathroom and got out a new toothbrush from one of the packages below the sink and was then brushing away the stench and taste of throw up.

Eve returned to her room within minutes and relaxed on her bed. She stared at her ceiling, thoughts racing through her mind. She was still scared at how close she was to being found out. Her mom was already physically worn out, she didn't need to put the burden of Eve's secret on top of her shoulders and tire her out mentally. That was the last thing she wanted.

I gotta be more careful next time. Eve thought, getting under the covers. No one can know, only Dylan. She got as comfortable as she could in her bed, but knew that no sleep would come for her...

A few hours later at around 6:30, she rose from her bed. Doing her usual morning routine, she was soon out of the bathroom, her hair wet and stringy, deciding to let it air dry. She went into her mom's room to find her sitting up and staring out the window.

"Morning mom,"

"Morning Eve, do you feel any better?"

"Much." Eve nodded enthusiastically.

"That's good."

"Mhm," Eve sauntered over to her mom's closet and picked out her clothes. "Here, I had these bought a few days ago."

"What are you my fashion coordinator?" Darla chuckled.

"In a way, yes, I am. For today at least." She replied. "Now get up and dressed, we have a big day today."

Eve left the room to give Darla her privacy, and headed into the kitchen. She got out pans, setting them atop the stove as the fire sprang up on top. She got out the ingredients needed to make pancakes, remembering that Jacob had made a special request for them before he left last night, and some eggs and bacon for her mom.

When she was finishing up with Jacob's pancakes, the large, tanned boy himself sauntered into the house like it were his home, and smiled when he saw her.

"Morning, Eve," He greeted cheerily.

Eve grinned from ear to ear before turning to face him. "Morning, Jake."

"So what's going to happen today?"

"Well, we'll drive over to Seattle, and meet up with the photographer. I'll go through my usual routine of make up and getting dressed. I'll do the shoot. And... then, we'll get something to eat, and head back home."

"Sounds good." He nodded.

Eve turned off the stove and served Jacob his food. He thanked her happily and dug into his perfectly cooked food. Darla then came inside the room and Eve served her as well. The two of them ate and Eve played around on her phone, waiting for them to finish.

"Eve, aren't you going to eat?" Jacob inquired.

"Hm...?" She looked up and noticed that her mom was also looking curious to know the answer. "No, I'll have something after the shoot."

"Eve, that's not a very smart decision. Why don't you have something to eat?" Darla urged.

Why can't they just let it be...? Eve thought in slight annoyance. "Mom, if I eat, it'll affect the way I look on camera."

"That doesn't sound very realistic, Eve." Darla retorted.

"Mom, I'm being serious. I'll eat right after we leave the shoot alright?"

"Eve..."

"Mom..."

The two stared at each other, a sort of fire in their eyes. Neither Eve nor Darla was going to let this go. Jacob stared at the two opposing females before clearing his throat.

"Eve...?"

Her head snapped towards Jacob, the fire in her honey eyes becoming extinguished and a new sort of passion swelling up inside them. "Yea?"

"Just take a few bites to hold you over for the ride."

It sounded reasonable. And Eve considered it greatly, however, she couldn't believe that she was considering it because he was the one who had suggested it.

"I guess..." She mumbled quietly.

"Jacob, you can come over whenever you'd like if you can get her to do that." Darla stated.

"Thanks, Darla."

Eve was then fed a few bites of pancake by Jacob, who had scooted closer to Eve to do so. Eve liked that he was doing it for her. It made her feel special. It made her feel like he truly cared for her. He knew that he did care for her to an extent, she just didn't know how far that extent was.

Darla watched the two teenagers with adoration. It reminded her of herself and Evan, Eve's father, and how life was for them before she was pregnant. It made her smile as she continued to eat.

I only hope that things work out for the two of them and that everything's perfect. Darla thought.

After Eve stopped letting Jacob feed her, with much reluctance, the three of them got into the car and began the three hour trip to Seattle, Washington.

The car ride to their destination was a nice and peaceful one. Darla, who sat in the backseat, had reclined her chair and took a light nap while listening to her iPod that Eve had gotten for her as a gift. That left Jacob and Eve to not worry about Darla eavesdropping on their conversations.

"So do you know what you're going to do for your photo shoot?"

"Not exactly, but most photo shoots are always the same, so I kind of have a good idea." Eve shrugged her shoulders, relaxing back into the chair. "I'll probably have a few different outfits to change into, pose differently, answer a few questions about my job, what's next for me, and my love life."

That caught Jacob's attention right away.

"What are you going to say?"

"Well, I'm going to say that my job is—"

"No... not your job..." He interrupted. "About your love life."

Eve was silent, not sure about what he wanted to hear at the moment. "Well..." She began, unsure of herself. "I'm going to say that Jesse and I are going strong. What else can I say?"

"A lot." He muttered.

"Jake... I can't do that. It's not that simple. If I say that we're going through a rough spot, they'll make a big fuss about it and send out people to snoop around and see what they can dig up on our relationship." Eve explained. "Then when they see how close they are, people will start talking about me and how I'm cheating on Jesse with you. They'll say that we're a couple and—"

"Eve, first off... you kissed me. So you did cheat on Jesse with me." Jacob argued, becoming frustrated. "Secondly, is it really that bad to think about us being together as a couple?"

"Jake, I know that I cheated on Jesse with you. And... I don't regret it one bit. Really... I don't." Eve sighed, feeling much better for getting that off her chest. "But if the media finds out about that... then my career might be over. No one wants to hire someone like that. They want people with good images and good reputations. And cheating isn't exactly smiled upon."

Jacob stayed silent as he listened to her words.

"And if that mini-rant hasn't given it away by now, the idea of being with you... is something that I would really want."

"Then why can't you just dump Jesse and we'll be together...?" Jacob asked, turning to face her with betrayed eyes. "Eve, he doesn't deserve someone like you. You're too good for him."

"Jake... like I told you yesterday, I want to talk things over with Jesse." She stated. "If something happens... you'll be first on my list."

"I don't want to be the first person on your list, Eve. I wanna be the only person on your list."

Eve swallowed and stared into his dark brown pools before looking away. "So far... you are the only one on the list." She smiled delicately.

Jacob grinned and took her hand in his, kissing the backside of it and keeping hold of it for the rest of the ride.

They drove by the building that the photo shoot would be held in and entered the parking garage, finding a spot in no time and walking inside. Eve told the receptionist in the lobby who she was and what she was there for and the three of them were told what floor to go to.

The elevator dinged as the three of them reached the floor and walked down the hallway into the room that was told to Eve by the secretary.

"Eve, mio caro!"

Eve grinned happily at the familiar voice and looked up to see Alex, the photographer that had shot her last shoot for Elle Italia. She ran up and gave him a warm hug.

"How have you been, Alex?"

"Well, Eve, very well." He smiled contently. "Yourself?"

"About the same. I didn't expect to see you again."

"Oh? I thought you knew. I'm the official photographer for most of the Elle issues."

"No, I didn't know that. Congratulations, though."

"Grazie, mio caro." He leaned in and kissed both her cheeks softly. "Now, why don't you go ahead and run along into make-up and wardrobe so we can get this show on the road, hmm?"

"Sure thing, I'll be out in a few."

Eve told Darla and Jacob, who looked like he was ready to punch someone's lights out, to sit down onto some chairs not too far from the set. They did as they were told and watched Eve go through the process.

She first went to make up where they lightly applied the basics, adding some daring eyeshadow to make her honey eyes pop. Soon after make up, she was escorted to her dressing room and began to change into her clothes for the first shots. She exited and walked over to set where everyone was ready.

"Mio caro, are you ready?"

"Yes, I am." Eve nodded.

She stood in front of a light blue background and fans began to whirl, sending her combed hair into a frenzy, the strands flying around her face perfectly.

"Ah, Eve, I've never seen someone more beautiful than you!" Alex gushed, looking through his camera, snapping shots occasionally. She smiled and laughed infectiously, making everyone around her smile.

All except Jacob.

He couldn't smile while the photographer was talking to her so sweetly. He wanted to punch him directly in the face, yell at him for talking to her in a way that only he should be. Jacob believed that this guy was trying to make a move on Eve, and he wasn't going to let that happen.

He wasn't going to let him earn a spot on her list.

"Play with your hands, mio caro! Enjoy yourself!"

Eve did as she was told with a dazzling white smile. She lifted her hands up to her face and peeked through her fingers at the camera as if she were playing hide-n-seek with a child.

"That's it...!" Alex yelled. "We've gotten our cover."

Eve was then rushed back to wardrobe where she changed into another outfit and her make-up was retouched. After five more changes in wardrobe, the shoot was finished.

"Eve, mio caro, your shots come out greater each time. You grow more beautiful by the second." Alex stated, making Eve blush lightly.

"Thank you, Alex. But a model is nothing without a brilliant photographer behind the camera."

"You are too sweet, Eve."

I can't take this anymore... Jacob groaned inwardly.

He rose from his chair, telling Darla he'd be back in a second before walking towards the two of them. "Eve, can I talk with you?"

"Sure, Jake. Excuse me for a minute, Alex?"

"Certainly, Eve. Take as long as you need."

With that, Jacob took hold of her hand and led her away from him with haste. "What's up with that guy? Does he like you or something?"

"Alex?"

"Yes, Alex."

"No..." Eve stared at him weirdly before chuckling lightly. "I helped him meet his current boyfriend, Jacob. He doesn't like girls. I'm sorry, I should've told you earlier."

"Oh..." Jacob felt both relieved and embarrassed at that moment. "Sorry, he was just telling you things so I thought he liked you or something." He mumbled under his breath.

"No, trust me." She shook her head with a small smile. "He likes guys. C'mon, let's go back there and I'll introduce you."

Jacob wrapped an arm around Eve's shoulders and they both walked back. Jacob smiled contently, now knowing that no one else was on the list...

It was only him...
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a little late, so if there are errors, please forgive me(:

And I'm sorry that this took a while, but I was working on another Jacob Black story that I've been neglecting since January. It's called "Mythical Beings & Mystical Feelings" so if you'd like, check it out!

I'd also like to thank the following people for commenting:
TRENYCE295
teenagedream91
The Ants March In
xxAngelWriterxx
x0snowandsoccer0x
bloodravyn
Lachen Immer

Wow, we got a great turn out for comments, I think! Thanks to you all who commented! Especially those who commented for the first time! Thanks for not being silent readers! (:

Click this to see the cover page for Elle Indonesia.

If you can, please comment on this one also! It'd mean a lot! Thanks!