Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Working on an update.

She's the Drug That I Need

Chapter 24

Taking another handful of popcorn from the bowl, Melissa frowned as she saw Brian’s car pull up into the driveway and glanced at her watch to check the time, not expecting him home for at least another hour as he usually stayed with Jenni until it was time for her to go to bed.
She paused the movie as she heard the front door open and shut, “You’re home early, is Jenni okay?”

“Yeah she’s fine.” Brian said simply as he bypassed the living room and headed straight up the stairs.

Confused, Mel pushed the duvet off her legs and stood from the sofa and followed him, finding him in their bathroom, leaning over the sink. “Babe are you okay?” she asked seeing the box of aspirin on the side

“Not really.” he replied putting two of the small white tablets into his mouth and taking a gulp of water. As he did so, she gasped as she caught sight of his reflection in the mirror, seeing the black and purple bruising around his left eye.

“What the fuck’s happened?” she asked as he turned to face her.

“Nothing, it doesn’t matter.” Brian replied.

“Nothing? How the fuck is that nothing? Who did this to you? I thought you were spending the day with Jenni?” she yelled.

“Please don’t yell, I’ve got a splitting headache.” Brian mumbled.

“Then tell me what happened, who did this to you?” Mel said lowering her voice but keeping it stern as she stepped around him and took the first aid box out of the cupboard.

“It was Seth.” Brian said quietly.

“Seth!?” she yelled in disbelief, apologising when she saw him wince at her volume. “Why on earth would he do this?”

Brian looked at the floor as Mel opened the box and took out the cotton wool and the alcohol rub. “If I tell you, you’re going to leave me, and I really don’t want that to happen.” He said quietly.

“Brian, I love you; Just tell me.” she said softly as she began to tend to his black eye.
Wincing slightly at her gentle touch, Brian watched her for a second, regretting everything he’d been doing with Sarah over the past couple of months. “I’ve been so fucking stupid.” He muttered. “I love you so much, but I’ve been so fucking stupid and I could end up loosing everything.”

“I’ve been cheating on you Mel, with Sarah, I’m sorry.” As he spoke, Mel took a step back from him. “I don’t want to loose you Mel, but I completely understand if you want to give me a matching black eye, hit me, yell at me, leave me and never speak to me again. I’ve made a huge mistake and I’m willing to live with the consequences.”

“Why?” Mel asked quietly.

“Because I thought she loved me, I thought I loved her, I thought the three of us were meant to be a happy family together. But I was wrong; it was a nice idea, but never a realistic one. She loves Seth and I love you.” he said just as quietly.

“And I’m guessing Seth found out.” she asked and Brian nodded.

“He walked in on us and rightfully hit me.” he told her.

“So it’s over now?” she asked and again he only nodded. “Then answer me this; would it have still been over now if he hadn’t have caught you? Would you be telling me all this if there wasn’t a black eye for evidence?”

Brian sighed and lowered his gaze, but before he could continue with his answer the doorbell rang from down stairs.

“Saved by the bell.” Mel said taking a step back from him.

“Ignore it, we need to talk about this.” Brian said as the doorbell rang again followed by a loud knock.

“Who ever it is, it sounds urgent, go answer the door, we’ll talk after.” She said crossing her arms over her chest.

With a resigned sigh Brian turned to make his way back down the stairs. “Okay, okay, I’m coming!” he yelled as the doorbell rang for a third time, followed by more knocking.

He unlocked the door and opened it wide, ready to yell at whoever was on the other side, but he was struck with a momentary loss of words, seeing the two people he least expected to see.

“Daddy!” Jenni yelled from her mothers arms.

“Hey baby.” He said with a forced smile. “What are you doing here?”

“He’s thrown us out, we have no where else to go.” Sarah said.

“So you show up here? Really?” Brian yelled.

“Where else were we supposed to go Brian, I thought you loved me?” Sarah replied.

“I thought I did too, but today I realised how wrong I was. I don’t love you and you don’t love me, you never have. I’ve made a huge mistake and if it wasn’t for Jenni then I wouldn’t want anything more to do with you.”

“I do love you.” Sarah argued.

Brian held his hand up to cut her off, “No, you don’t, now leave please, and ill be in touch about seeing Jenni in the week.”

“Brian please! We have no where else to go. Are you really going to see your daughter out on the streets?” Sarah pleaded.

“No he’s not.” Mel said approaching the door, “Come here babe, lets take you up to your room.”

“Oh Mel, thank you!” Sarah said with a smile, stepping over the doorstep and passing Jenni to Brian.

“Don’t worry about it, as you said, we can’t see Jenni out on the streets.” She said as Brian turned to take Jenni up the stairs.

“Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.” Sarah said her smile faltering as she saw the stern look on Mel’s.

“Like I said, we won’t see Jenni out on the street, you on the other hand I’ll quite happily see in the gutter. You had a damn nerve showing up here and act all innocent, and now I want you to leave, you’ll never be welcome here again.” Mel said.

“You can’t do that, she’s my daughter!” Sarah yelled trying to push her way past Mel.

“She’s Brian’s daughter too, and seeing as you haven’t got anywhere to stay tonight I think its best if she stays here, where she’ll be looked after and will be able to sleep in her own bed. Now please get out of our house.”

“You are a bitch!” Sarah spat as she backed back out through the front door.

“Maybe.” Mel replied stepping forward ready to close the door behind her. “Oh and one more thing before you go, Brian will be getting in touch with his lawyer first thing in the morning; he’s going to fight for full custody for Jenni.” As Sarah growled at her in anger, she slammed the door in her face and locked it, leaning up against it and taking a deep breath. She then made her way upstairs to Jenni’s room where Brian was getting her ready for bed.

“Where’s mommy?” she asked quietly seeing Mel walk into her room.

“She’s gone to stay somewhere else sweetie, you’re going to stay here with me and daddy for a while okay?” she replied with a smile.

Jenni nodded and returned the smile and continued to put her pyjamas on. “So does that mean you’re staying too?” Brian asked quietly walking over to Mel.

“I may be an idiot for deciding this, but yeah. You may have fucked up, big time, but I think you’re truly sorry for what you did…”

“I am, more than you’ll know, so sorry…”

“Brian, I know, and I’m going to give you a second chance, just don’t let me live to regret it.” Mel said, a small smile forming on her lips at the sight of happiness and relief spreading quickly over Brian’s face.

“You won’t, I can promise you. I love you.” he said, taking hold of her hands.

“I love you too.” she replied as he leaned down to peck his lips against hers.

“Did I really hear you tell Sarah I was going to fight for full custody of Jenni?” he asked quietly.

“Yeah, I think you should, and I think you’ll win.” She said with a smile. “Or should I say we’ll win, we’re going to do this together.”

Brian beamed and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close. “You, are fucking amazing and I really don’t deserve you, but I’m so glad you think I do. I love you so much and I’m a total idiot for taking so long to realise just how much.”

“Just don’t forget it Haner.” She replied smiling back at him.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there it is, the final chapter. I did mention the possibility of an epilogue but I'm not sure what direction it would go in, so if one materialises it does, if not, I'm sorry.
With this story now finished I am going to be working on "Give up Forever".
As always a huge thank you to all of you who have read, subscribed and commented at any point during this story, I hope you stay with me during my other tales.
<3