A Lifetime Together

Chapter 1

We have always been together.

When I was 5 and my parents died, your family took me in. We grew up together, we went to school together, your family became mine as well. I remember when, in cold, rainy nights, I'd run to your room and cuddle next to you under your blanket, seeking warmth.

We were still kids when it happened. That night you came home late from training (I was in my favourite spot, staring at the silver full moon.) You immediately noticed all the lights were out, and not a soul was to be seen...

I only found out next morning, since I had fallen asleep by the pond with the lotus flowers in it (my secret spot). I couldn't believe it. It was Itachi-sama. Your own brother. Probably the person I respected the most, even though I knew how you felt about him. He was the one who would always pat my head and smile whenever I did something good.

I knew you were in the hospital, but I waited for you outside your house, knowing you'd come as soon as you regained consciousness. Rain started pouring down. I sat by the main door, hugging my knees, my face hidden behind my hair. I lost track of time waiting for you, whimpering quietly.

And soon enough, you found me, soaking wet. You brushed strands of hair from my face and helped me up. We held each other's hands tightly as we opened the main door and walked in. And I know we could both hear your beautiful mother greeting us, her smile as kind as ever, her voice as sweet as she is. Was.

We walked slowly, still gripping each other's hands. And then we got to that room. You pushed the door open with your free hand and pulled me in with you. I could feel you shaking, so I came closer and hugged your arm, whispering, I'm here.

A pool of blood in the center of the room, with chalk outlining the spot where your now deceased mother and father were murdered.

You fell to your knees, and my heart shattered. Tears ran down your face. I kneeled next to you and hugged you as strongly as I could, sobbing. Your family was gone, and there was nothing I could do to heal your pain. And that killed me inside. But we moved forward, always together, always taking care of the other.