And The Water Consumed Her

The shrill of children's laughter filled the cold spring morning, sending the birds into the sky and the rough steps of a young girl consumed the air in the early light of a forest.

Rhea had just found a perfect hiding spot, just above the waters edge, even close enough to hear the light trinkling of the water, behind a large rock that hid her small figure.

"Ready or not, here I come!" Cobys voice echoed off of the valley walls, sending the birds, once again fleeing.

Rhea fell silent, steadying her breaths, careful not to move and closed her eyes, feeling the cool breeze washing through her hair and tickling her neck. She didn't dare move. She knew that if her feet merely slipped, she would fall into the rough river that would sweep her downstream.

Rhea heard a light flutter of wings above her, and then a startling tweet infront of her, automatically snapping her eyes open and her small hands covering her face in defense. As soon as that reflex kicked in, she knew her fate. Losing all of her balance, her feet slipped off of the moss covered rocks. Her arms went flying behind her, and a scream escaped her lips.

Rhea felt the freezing liquid consume her, pushing all of the breath out of her body. The strength of the river flow tossed and turned her, and she felt herself being thrown at rocks, jabbing into her numb skin. Her lungs screamed for air, and soon enough, she felt her lungs fill with water. Her body ached with pain as she coughed and heaved into the dark, ominous waters of the river. She felt her energy fade as she drifted towards the deep bottom. Her dress floated around her like a dream, she felt her eyes drift shut with one last sigh.

◘ ◘ ◘

A gasp escaped out of Cobys mouth as she sat up, feeling reality hitting her as hard as it did the day before. Hot tears ran down her face, remembering that day. She turned in her bed, and placed her feet on the warm carpet, and stood up, letting her feet sink into the fabric. Her feet shuffled out of her room and down the hallway, towards the room at the end. The door squeaked with protest as she opened the doorway to her sisters room.

When she approached the bed, she fell to her knees and wrapped her arms around the warm figure. She felt herself relax in relief. The body stirred beneath her.

"Coby?" the soft voice asked, sleep clouding her vision.

"Sorry Rhea, I just missed you" Coby said wryly, a smile tugging on her lips.