Status: Paused Until Further Notice :)

Little Black Dress

; the Fourth

“Larnie, please be quiet,” I whisper as we crouch at the front door.

Allana is quacking again, and squeezing Carl so that he wheezes. She's giggling to herself, which is usually what happens when she's over-tired. Not to mention being extra hard to control.

Nacho opens the door a few inches so that he can stick his head out. The night outside is hot and humid and alive with the sounds of crickets and cicadas.

“Is the coast clear?” I whisper.

Nacho nods and beckons us forwards. Once we're all outside, he latches the door again and uses the key to lock it. Then chucks it in the bushes.

“Umm . . . Shouldn't we have kept that?” I ask.

Casey chuckles as quietly as he can. “Probably.”

“I hope Mum and Dad will be okay when they get back.”

Nacho turns to us and puts a finger to his lips.

We half walk, half crawl to where Nacho haphazardly parked his car across our lawn. It just so happens to be a black Jeep Wrangler 1998. My mouth drops open. It's so small!

Nacho unlocks it by putting the key in the door, something I haven't seen done for a very long time. He climbs into the cab and reaches across to unlock my door. I flip the seat forward and Casey climbs in the back. Then I lift Larnie up and sit her down next to Casey. “Put her seatbelt on,” I tell him, before putting the seat back and getting in.

The engine roars to life, sounding like thunder. Nacho grimaces and starts driving, keeping the headlights off.

“Isn't that dangerous?” I ask.

Nacho doesn't even look at me when he says, “Everything we're doing right now is dangerous.”

I swallow and look around the cab. The floor is littered with ash and the leather seats are ripped, exposing fluffy yellow foam. The whole car smells like cigarette smoke and vodka.

“Is this your car?” I ask, my face screwed up in distaste. Nacho nods. “It's disgusting.”

“I'm a 19 year old boy, Mira. What do you expect?”

I scoff. “Some decency maybe?”

Nacho scoffs right back at me. “Do I seem like the kind of guy who has time for decency?”

“You did today at the pool.”

He looks away from the road, green eyes boring into mine. “That was different. I thought they'd forgotten about me.”

I take a deep breath. “Who are they?”

Nacho only shakes his head and drags his eyes back to the road. “I can't tell you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yessss, I know this chapter is very, very uncredibly short, but it was refreshing to write a short one after such a long one.
Who knows, maybe I'll add on a bit more later on.

Leave your thoughts. You've been awesome so far and you've no idea how much I appreciate it.