Status: Done :(

I've Been Waiting Such a Long Time for Someone to Come Along

XXIV

"Congratulations Millie! Oh, I'm so happy for you two." Cindy gushed as she clutched her hand to her heart.

I grinned and moved to give her a hug. Although I masked it well, I felt exceptionally guilty about lying to her and the rest of the family. She seemed so happy that John was ready to settle down and get married. Especially to me.

"Honey, you're going to be the best daughter-in-law I could ever ask for!" She smiled as she hugged me tightly.

"Let's get a picture to remember today." John's father suggested as he grabbed the digital camera from the kitchen table.

I looked to John and he nodded with a smile. I wondered if anyone could tell it was fake like I could. I shook away the thought and walked over to him to pose.

Meanwhile, Ross and Sierra were glaring at the scene with their arms crossed.

As his dad got the camera ready, I stood next to John and smiled, but he pulled me in front of him and wrapped his arms around my waist. For one of the pictures he rested his head on top of mine and then for the next he leaned down to kiss my cheek. I blushed and leaned up to give him a peck on the lips.

"Alright, don't be gross." Shane groaned.

I pulled away from John and laughed. He smiled at me, but still not a real smile. His eyes were sad, despite the happy moment. I didn't know why but he seemed like a guilty boyfriend or something. He had that look on his face like Ross (Gellar) did after he cheated on Rachel. I knew he hadn't cheated. I don't know why, but I just knew.

"Wait, can I take a picture with you, Cindy?" I asked, pulling away from her eldest son.

"Me? No, I look terrible..." She trailed off.

"Don't be silly. You look beautiful." I urged.

She smiled at me and wrapped her arms around me and smiled at the camera. I grinned as well and hugged her back, holding out my left hand in one of the photos to signify my "engagement"

"You're really something else, Millie. John, I'm so proud of you for proposing to this beautiful girl. Just remember that I'm too young for grandkids." She joked.

We both laughed but a little blush crept up on our cheeks as we glanced at each other awkwardly, that night fresh in our minds still.

"I don't think you'll have to worry about that for awhile, ma." He chuckled, shifting his eyes over to me.

"Well, from us anyway." I teased. "Shane is turning into a little heart breaker already."

I shoved the teenage boy playfully and smiled at him. He shook his head at me in return and blushed a crimson shade.

"So how are we going to celebrate?" John's dad asked cheerfully as he clapped his hands together. He passed that on to his son.

"We'll take everybody out to eat." Cindy suggested excitedly.

"Perfect." His dad exclaimed. "You two pick anywhere. It's on us."

"I could make-"

"Millie this is the night of your engagement!" Cindy said, cutting me off. "I won't allow you to work tonight."

"Alright." I laughed. "I'm fine with the Olive Garden."

"Yeah babe. Sounds great." John nodded as if he had spaced out. "I'm gonna go get ready before we leave though."

He jogged up to his room before anybody got the chance to say anything. His lanky legs were taking the stairs two at a time as if he was in a massive hurry to get away from the situation. He must have felt as guilty as I did about lying. Especially to his mother. She looked so happy that I didn't know how I would ever face her if she found out about our plan.

"I'm going to go check on him." I said as I followed him up the stairs.

"Mom, I think you should remind Millie about the open door policy." Shane teased.

I stuck my tongue out at him playfully and hurried up the staircase.

I entered the second room on the left and walked in on my fake fiancé taking off his shirt.

I closed the door behind me and took a seat on his bed while he undressed further, not caring that I was sitting in front of him, I spoke up.

"Does this feel wrong to you?" I asked as I twisted the metal band on my finger.

"Us? Or the engagement?" He asked.

The question caught me off guard. My chest started to literally ache and tears brimmed my eyes.

"You can't keep doing this to me." I whispered with my head down. I pulled at the bottom of my dress with enough strength to tear the cotton fabric.

"What?" He asked, now standing before me in just boxers.

"I said you can't keep doing this to me! Us, John? Just the other day you were begging me to forgive you and now you're acting like I've got an STD. Would you just make up your mother fucking mind!" I exclaimed angrily.

"Millie Nickelsen I meant every single god damned word I said to you downstairs." He stated in a low voice. "I love you. And when you love someone you want the best for them."

"I love you too. Let's just be happy and carefree. Please?" I begged, now standing in front of the partially clothed boy.

"I want the best for you, Mills." He repeated with a sigh.

"What does that mean?!" I cried, tugging at the roots of my hair.

"It means that I can't be with you!" He replied in the same tone. "I'm a fuck up! I've already made you cry more than anybody should, I drink, I smoke, I fucked you and then didn't tell you I loved you- I just. I can't be your real boyfriend. You deserve better than me."

I stood there with the pain my chest getting worse and the tears now flowing down my cheeks. His expression matched mine as tears brimmed in his blood shot eyes.

"But you love me." I whispered.

"I'm not what you need." He whispered back as he held my face in his hands, trying to blink away his tears.

"Yes you are." I argued quietly. "You're everything I need."

"You're better off without me, babydoll." He said as a tear finally escaped his eye.

"Please don't do this. I won't come back like the other times. This is it, John." I threatened, still crying.

"I know." He barely got out. The sound of his voice cracking made my tears fall faster, matching his. "Just know that I love you. This is what's best for you."

"I h-hope you know I can't do this anymore, then." I told him as I slipped the ring off of my left hand.

"I understand." He nodded, taking the ring. "I'll still pay you-"

"I don't want your money." I argued. "I want you."

He leaned down and gave me a long, sweet, passionate kiss. I knew it would be our last.

"I love you Millie."

"You don't understand love."
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww:/
They're sad again :(

Thanks so much for the comments!!

Check out my new story please! Money Can't Buy You

I really want to know if I should keep it because I'm really on the fence about it.

Anyway, comment and subscribe!!