Status: Done :(

I've Been Waiting Such a Long Time for Someone to Come Along

VI

John

I got out of my truck and walked inside my house. Ross and Sierra were staying for at least two more weeks in addition to the one they had already stayed. I shut the door behind me and took off my shoes before walking into the living room to see my mom sitting down reading an Us Weekly.

When I walked in she looked up and smiled at me. "Hey John, where've you been?" She asked as she patted the seat next to her.

I sat down next to her and shrugged. "Millie's house." I answered.

"Millie Nickelsen?" She asked with a chuckle. "Why didn't you just say Garrett's house?"

"Well, I was there to see Millie. I invited her over for dinner tonight." I answered.

"Aw, sweetie. Just because Ross has his girlfriend over doesn't mean you need to compete with him. Everything doesn't have to be a competition with you two." She lectured.

"I really like Millie, mom. I know you will too." I stated, ignoring what she said.

"I'm sure I will. Why haven't you told me about you two before? I mean you're always at Garrett's but I just thought you were actually with him."

"Well sometimes I am, but Millie's just kind of...hard to ignore." I chose my words carefully, even though I should be really thankful that she even agreed to this plan.

"Aw. I can't wait to meet her. I already know that she'll beat Sierra by a long shot." She winked.

I laughed and nodded. "Millie's really something. Everybody will love her. She's amazing."

"I'm sure she is. You've got great taste in women, just like your dad. Ross, not so much." She chuckled.

"Yeah, you can say that again." I mumbled.

"Well, it's almost five so I should start dinner. I can't wait to meet Millie, she sounds adorable."

And with that she got up and walked into the kitchen. I turned on the tv and started watching A&E when I heard somebody walk in the door. I immediately heard Sierra's witch cackle coming closer with Ross telling some stupid joke.

"Hey bro, what up?" He asked as they walked into the living room. Of course they had to sit on the same chair because there were only two couches and two recliners.

I rolled my eyes and answered him; "Not much. How are you guys?"

"We're great." She answered. "How are you John? What do you do here all day when you're alone?"

"Well, today I woke up and helped mom clean the dishes you guys used and then I went over to my girlfriend's house." I replied.

"Girlfriend? John, you've been single for like five years." Ross laughed.

"No I've been dating someone. Millie Nickelsen. You went to high school with her, didn't you?" I asked him with a smirk. Millie was hot and he knew it.

"Millie? Seriously?"

"Who's Millie? That sounds like an old lady name." Sierra teased. I knew it was out of jealousy.

"You'll meet her tonight. She's coming over for dinner." I said.

"She's coming? Wait, you're joking dude. There's no way she's dating you." He cried.

"Well believe it or not, it's true." I shrugged.

"Damn..." He said.

Sierra looked angry and slapped his chest.

While they began bickering I decided to leave again and go get Millie early. She's always ready early.

I got back in my truck and started driving back to the Nickelsen residence.

On the way there I decided to call her. I got her ringback tone which was Katy Perry's "Ur So Gay"

"Hello?" She answered.

"Hey I'm on my way. I thought I should tell you since I'm early. I'll be there in like five minutes, I'm just passing the Casa Vista sign now." I told her.

"Mmkay. See you in a bit." She said.

"Okay, bye." I hung up and turned onto her street.

When I pulled into her driveway I saw her standing there with a dish in her hand. I leaned over and unlocked the door for her so she could open it.

She smiled and started walking over towards me. I couldn't help but notice how good she looked. She'd always been beautiful but I never really paid much attention before now.

"Hi." She said as she hopped in.

"Hey, what's that?" I asked, pointing to the dish on her lap.

"A blueberry pie. Your favorite, right?" She asked.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"You're always at my house, John. I've picked up on some things." She smirked.

I laughed and started to back out of her driveway.

"So are you ready for this?" She asked.

"Yeah, I think I am. Nobody believes that I'm really dating you though so we have to make it look real." I pleaded.

"I know, don't worry." She assured me.

The rest of the car ride was mostly silent other than some soft music on the radio. I noticed that she kept closing her eyes and leaning her head on the back of the seat. She was probably tired from being up sick all night.

By the time we got home she was almost completely asleep. I reached over and gently shook her shoulder.

"Hmm?" She murmured with her eyes still closed.

"We're here." I said softly.

Her heavy eyelids flickered open and she looked at me. "Okay."

She sluggishly got out of the car, holding the pie carefully and stumbling up the sidewalk. I held back a laugh and took the pie from her. "Let me carry that."

She was too tired to fight so she just nodded and took my hand for the second time that day. I laced our fingers and opened the door for us. She walked in, waking up a bit more and pulled me into the kitchen with her.

"Hey mom, this is Millie. She brought pie." I told my mother who was stirring the pasta that she had been boiling.

"Hi Millie! It's so nice to meet you. John spoke very highly of you." She smiled as she walked over to give her a hug.

"Oh really?" Millie smirked with an arched eyebrow. "Well, you've raised a real gentleman Mrs. O'Callaghan."

I was surprised by her performance when she gave me a side hug after pulling away from my mom. I really owe her for this.

"That's sweet Millie. And thank you for the pie. Now we won't have to worry about dessert tonight."

"We're gonna go in the living room and say hi to Ross and friend." I sad before pulling Millie into the living room.

My mom was easy to impress, but the couple from hell were another story.

"Hey guys, this is Millie. Millie this is Ross and his girlfriend Sierra."

She walked over to them and stuck out her hand. Ross shook it first.

"Hey Millie, I haven't seen you since high school. What have you been doing? Besides my brother."

Tasteless

"Not much else, actually. He keeps me pretty busy if you know what I mean." She responded seriously with a wink.

He looked embarrassed and pulled his hand away from hers. Next she shook Sierra's hand. It was all I could to hold back my laughter.

"Nice to meet you. John told me that you were a total--"

"Millie!" I cried.

"Delight." She finished with a smirk.

"Well yeah." She said as she flipped her extensions over her shoulder.

"As fun as this is, maybe we should go help your mom set the table or something, cutie." She suggested before wrapping an arm around my waist and leaning into my side.

For some reason whenever we touch my mind just goes blank and I can hardly form words. She's way too good at pretending to be my girlfriend.

"Y-yeah. Let's go." I agreed before walking back to the kitchen with her. I thought that as soon as we were out of the presence of those two that she would immediately detach from me, but she didn't, so I draped my arm over her shoulder to see her reaction. She didn't look phased at all and just kept walking.

"Hi Mrs. O'Callaghan, can we set the table for you or something?" She asked sweetly.

"That'd be great, Millie. And you can call me Cindy."

I laughed to myself seeing as how she still hadn't let Sierra call her by her first name. They both gave me a strange look and I just shook my head.

"Well John knows where everything is so you guys can do it whenever you're ready." She told us before going back to the garlic bread.

I almost didn't want to pull away from Millie, but I had to to get the plates and silverware. She carried all of the utensils and I carried the plates.

"Did you really think I was going to call her a bitch?" She asked with a chuckle as she set down the forks.

"I never know with you, Millie. You're full of surprises." I replied.

"Is that a good thing?" She asked, cocking her head at me.

"I'm starting to think it is."

She smiled brightly and went back to setting the table. I grabbed the knives and started to put one at every plate when she stopped me.

"That's not how it goes." She complained as she started to fix them.

"Does it matter?" I asked.

"Yes, actually it does. This is the proper dinner arrangement. The knife goes on the same side as the spoon." She instructed.

She looked up at me and I looked down at her. I could smell her minty breath and feel it on my lips. Leaning in even slightly would have closed the gap between us.

"Dinner's ready!"

We both pulled away as if we had been doing something wrong, but we were really supposed to be a couple.

We all sat down to dinner and the interrogation started. I almost felt bad for her.

"So Millie, why didn't you go to college?" My brother asked.

"Well frats and sororities aren't for everybody." She answered.

"They probably wouldn't let you in a sorority anyway." Sierra cut in.

"Yeah you don't really fit the type." He agreed.

"Hey." My mom scolded. She gave me an annoyed look for not sticking up for my girlfriend but I honestly didn't know what to say.

"Where's your dad tonight?" Millie asked, changing the subject.

"He took my other brother out of town to go see our grandma." I told her.

"Oh." She nodded.

"Do you have implants?" Sierra asked.

I choked on the spaghetti in my mouth along with almost everyone else at the table and my mom looked livid.

"Nope." Millie answered, staying composed.

Nobody knew what to say after that. I knew my mom would have bitten her head off if Millie wasn't here.

I leaned back in my chair and draped my arm around her shoulder protectively.

"Millie's a natural beauty." I said, breaking the silence.

She sincerely smiled up at me and mouthed a thank you. I just nodded in return.

"Anyway, I hear you're planning on opening a restaurant soon." My mom said. "That's impressive."

"Oh thanks." She blushed. "I'm really excited about it, actually. I should have enough for the down payment within the next two months."

"That's really exciting. We'll be regulars there, I assure you."

"That's sweet of you to say. Thanks."

Then I remembered that I meant to her was a paycheck. Not like I care or anything.

After dinner I drove her home and before she got out she smiled. "I actually had fun tonight. I didn't think that was possible with you."

"Having fun is easy when you're not being a bitch." I spat. I don't know why I got so angry with her.

"You're welcome." She said before getting out and slamming the car door. I pulled out of the driveway before she even got inside.

What is this girl doing to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw John's got a bit of a crush.

I shoveled snow all morsing and all I can think it wtf it's March

Anyway, I'm really glad that everyone is liking this! I'm so excited to write this.

Comment and subscribe!