Status: Complete

Magick

Party

“That's what you're wearing? No way, change into this,” my sister pulls a brown tee shirt out of my dresser. I yank off the black one I'm wearing and put on the brown one.

“Better?” I ask.

“What's with your hair? Here, let me get it,” she plays with it until I push her away.

“It's fine Rowa,” I tell her.

“If you say so. What do you think about this top?”

“It's alright,” I reply.

“No, I have to look good for the party. We're trying to make a good impression, remember?” she picks up another one from off my bed where she set them to show me. “Is this one good?”

“Yes,” I nod.

She quickly takes off the shirt that she's wearing and I look away, blushing. “You're so immature,” she comments, pulling on the black and purple long sleeved top.

“Are you ready?”

“I think so,” she nods. Her black hair is up in a bun. We both have on jeans. She has on black boots. I have on black converse sneakers.

“Have fun at your party kids,” our mum hugs us both before we leave. “Oh, and Jayce, take this sweater in case it gets cold. Bye now!” she waves. I climb into my sister's car and we head for the field.

By the time people arrive the delicious scent of wood smoke is already coiling through the newly crisp air. We have some really good apple cider spiced with cinnamon to drink and homemade cornbread to eat.

After a while of chatting Rowa stands up and claps her hands together. I am sitting on a nearby rock. “Tonight is actually Mabon, which is a kind of holiday in our religion of Wicca. We would really like it if anyone wanted to participate in our celebration tonight.”

“Wicca? What is that? Do you worship the devil?” someone asks. I expected these reactions but Rowa stays calm. Sometimes I think she's crazy.

“Not at all,” she shakes her head.

“Isn't that witchcraft? Are you a witch?”

“Actually yes, me and my brother are both witches.”

Some people laugh, whether it's because they find it funny, ridiculous, or out of nervousness I don't know.

“You don't have to join Wicca or anything, no pressure. We just thought it might be fun to have a little celebration. It's no big deal really. If you don't feel comfortable you are welcome to leave now.”

A lot of people do leave. I survey the small crowd that remains. They all look kind of unsure about this. Rowa smiles. “Good, let's get started.”

She draws a circle on the ground with a stick she found lying on the ground. She keeps it open so everyone can come in before she closes it. She also sprinkles salt from a small container around it to purify it. As she does this she says “With this salt I purify our circle.” After she's finished she instructs everyone to grab hands. I grab Rowa's and Willow's. “First, let's just go around the circle and introduce ourselves so we can get to know each other a little. I'm Rowa.”

“Jayce,” I mumble.

“Willow,” she says.

“Saffron.”

“Skye.”

“Cloud,” we meet Skye's younger brother. He does look very much like her with the blonde hair and blue eyes.

“Brynn,” the girl beside him responds.

“Demetrius,” a boy with dark hair grins.

“Wyatt,” a boy with dark brown hair and gorgeous chocolaty brown eyes says. I feel drawn to him for one intense moment then turn my attention back to the circle.

“And I'm Oliver,” the boy from earlier finishes.

Rowa nods, takes a deep breath, then begins. “Thanks to the Goddess, thanks to the God, today is the autumn equinox. It's the time of harvest when crops are gathered. The cycle continues to nourish us. Blessed be.”

“Blessed be,” I say and everyone repeats it.

“Now we're going to do a banishing chant so we'll move widdershins, counterclockwise. Blessed be the Goddess, Blessed be the God. Thanks for all we have.”

We are moving around the circle together at a steady pace.

“I banish limitations,” Rowa says.

“I banish...fear,” I mumble.

Everyone takes turns banishing things. Some are silly like 'I banish pimples' and some are more serious like 'I banish world hunger.' Wyatt banishes hate. We turn in our circle a few more times then finally stop and unclasp our hands, throwing them to the sky to release the energy.

I don't really get much time to talk to everyone. They are all talking amongst themselves as they leave. Rowa is smiling proudly. “We did good tonight little brother.”

“I think we should wait and see how people act around us tomorrow. What if they think we're freaks or something?”

“You worry too much.”