Status: Active - slow but still plan to update/finish

Have You Ever Really Danced On the Edge?

Ten

The next day, and Taylor announces a party. I feel as though it was in light of cheering me up, so I went along with it to make her happy.

Taylor’s even gone as far to do some baking. She said it was to ‘break in our new kitchen’. So far we’ve made chocolate chip cookies and now we’re onto cupcakes.

“So,” Taylor trails off, letting the ‘o’ stretch out. I look at her, ready for what she’ll say next. “The tension yesterday with you and Vic seemed pretty high. What’s going on?”

Ugh. “He kissed me,” I spill, knowing Taylor was the right person to tell. She was my older sister; I would take any advice she gave me to heart.

“Oh, my God! No way! That’s awesome,” Her eyes literally light up. That was not the response I wanted.

I stare at her, showing her I don’t think it’s that awesome. Her eyes widen, “Are you kidding me, Annabel? This is Vic we’re talking about! Perfect, little Victor! The boy who’s been making eyes at you since you met.”

I sigh, “Yeah. But remember that one boy I was in a relationship with for three years? Well, he broke up with me yesterday and then Vic tries to put his lips on me like nothing even happened? I mean… I like Vic, I think… but it’s way too soon. A relationship seems too daunting,” I open the oven to check the cupcakes to escape the conversation for a few seconds. When I turn back, Taylor’s right in front of me, putting her hands on my shoulders.

“Listen to me.” I stare at her, unsure. “I understand your hurt. You feel pretty lonely and rejected, right?” When I nod, she continues. “But I know for a fact that you can do so much better than Brandon. I also understand you don’t want a relationship, and Vic does, so you’re trying not to lead him on… but really. Spending time with him and just letting something happen may be fun. I’m not saying you have to talk about being a couple, label it, or make it official - whatever - but you guys have so much chemistry. I see it every time you look at each other.”

I insist, “We haven’t made eye contact for the last 24 hours.”

Taylor throws her hands up and moves away from me, “God! Stop being so… technical! You guys like… complete each other. Like Jerry Maguire complete each other. You know how Mom and Dad met, and look at Morgan and Eric! True love is out there, it may not have been with the guy you thought, but it’s out there. You’re not going to be able to experience it if you don’t put yourself out there, Anna.”

It’s true. Mom and Dad have been together since their sophomore year in high school. They met in art class, my dad sung all the words to Piano Man and my mom was super impressed. Since then, they’re been married for 25 years, together for more than 30.

With that example, I thought love was forever. The first love was your last as well. The example continues with Morgan and Eric. Morgan didn’t date in high school.

In fact, she met Eric in her sophomore year of college at UCLA. He begrudgingly became her lab partner in her biology class (Morgan was terrible at science) and they instantly hit it off. Again, the first boyfriend was her last.

Then, as you know, they wed on Morgan’s twenty-fourth birthday on June 10.

I met Brandon in my sophomore year. The year was 2008 and he knew all the words to ‘I’m Yours’ by Jason Mraz. It was in chemistry class, and we hit it off. In all honestly, I always thought he would be the boy I would marry – just like my mother, just like Morgan. Their versions of love were all I knew.

So not having that anymore was weird to me. What, I was supposed to meet someone else now? It was like a mystery to me, dating. How did it even work?

My aunt Caroline always said, “Anna, you’re going to meet your future husband on a train to Amsterdam. Somewhere weird, somewhere unexpected, but it’ll be like you just woke up.”

But I’d always brush it off, because I already had met my future boyfriend, in chemistry class. However, now I was thinking about how Vic had rescued me from Morgan’s reception. How unexpected and weird it had been, I had no idea he’d pop in my life like that.

Was it fate? God, this was so fucking deep. I shake my head to get those thoughts out of my head.

Taylor’s smiling; she knows I was contemplating her speech. “See? Annie, I’m smarter than you think.”

I scoff, “Well, what about you and Jaime?”

Taylor smiles coyly, “Jaime? Oh, we’ve just been hanging out a lot.”

“So basically you love each other and will have cute, dimpled Mexican babies?”

That gets a laugh. “Of course, darling.”

“No, but really,” I insist, curious.

This time Taylor smiles genuinely. “He asked me to be his girlfriend just the other day, actually.”

“Ah!” I shout in surprise and excitement. “Seriously! That’s awesome, Taylor! You guys totally will have cute dimpled Mexican babies and live happily ever after! Tell me every detail!”

“Well, we were on our annual Caturday picnic when he just out of the blue asked me. He asked after he asked me to pass the German potato salad,” She explains and shrugs.

“Just like that?” I ask. That’s it?

“Just like that,” Tay confirms. “Love can be casual, simple. It doesn’t have to be some grand, out of proportion thing. I think we’re on the same page when it comes to serious stuff. Jaime helps me take it in stride, you know? He’s like the anchor to keep my feet on the ground and I’m the wings to keep his heart in the sky.”

When she says it like that, I understand. I understand that she’s right. My love with Brandon was always dramatic – at least the fights. Lately, my romance (whatever it is) with Vic has been dramatic, but that’s only because Brandon was involved.

“You know Annabel,” Taylor quips, “True love comes from more than just the heart.”

===

{Taylor’s POV}

When the party nearing, I made Anna go to the store to get extra frosting. I purposely forgot so she’d leave the house. When she left, I invited Jaime over to negotiate Plan Get-Vic-And-Anna-Together.

As soon as Jaime asked me out, we ate our German potato salad and thought about Anna and Vic. We both saw it – the attraction, the chemistry, and the feelings between those two. It was undeniable, but apparently Anna was trying extra hard to deny it.

I know it sounds insensitive that I was already planning her next boyfriend now that’s she’s single, but my god. Brandon was an asshole. I never liked him. So it sucks that Anna’s been so bummed about him, when she should be jumping Vic’s scrawny little bones.

I’m doing it because I love her and I know for a fact they’d be perfect together. The age difference doesn’t really even matter to me, because I know how lovely they’d be together. Vic’s been making Anna feel things Brandon never could. And I think that counts for something.

Jaime bursts into the door, like this ray of sunshine. His dimpled cheeks always stand out, he’s so happy. And that’s why I love him so much. “Hey! Ready to get down to business?” He says and pecks my lips.

I laugh, “God. We are so cool, you know that right?”

“I was born cool,” Jaime says and rolls his eyes.

“Okay, so… the Plan. I have something in mind.”

“Wow,” Jaime says in mock adoration, “My girlfriend is so smart.”

I laugh and slap his arm, “Stop! This is serious biz, Jaime. Okay, so, I’m going to get Anna a little tipsy and you’re going to get Vic tipsy, that is key.” Jaime nods so I go on, “And then… I’m going to tell Vic I left some desert plates in the kitchen closet. But I’m going to hide them so that he won’t find them. Then, I’ll tell Anna to help him find it – BAM! We slam the door and put a chair underneath the handle, locking them inside. We won’t let them out until they’ve settled things. And maybe exchange one more kiss.”

By the end of my plan, Jaime is smiling deviously. “Best… plan… ever!”

And so it’s settled. Plan Get-Anna-And-Vic-Together is a go.

===

{Still Taylor’s POV}

The party has started and Vic and Anna have yet to look each other in the eye. It’s kind of ridiculous. Even Mike noticed, while we were in the kitchen he asked about them. I explained how they had kissed, the fight, and The Plan.

Mike agreed to help Jaime lock them inside the closet, probably because it involved his brother and Mike just loves to play pranks on Vic. And he knows they’d be like, perfect together. We all know it and yet they don’t. Well, at least Anna doesn’t.

I made Chicken Parmesan and everybody thought it was delicious. I smile knowingly to the boys after dinner and then sit up straight, “Victor, will you go get more paper plates in the kitchen? I forgot, but we need them to serve the cupcakes!”

Vic smiles at me, “Sure, just in the kitchen closet, on the right?”

“Yes, thank you!”

He’s gone a few minutes before returning to the dining room, frowning. “I honestly have no clue where they are.”

I frown too, and Jaime gets up to enter the kitchen in ready position. Mike soon after gets up as well. Tony just grins and lounges in his chair. I love that guy, lazy bastard.

“Hmm,” I sneak a glance at Anna, who’s avoiding this whole encounter. “Anna,” at her name, a blush forms on her cheeks. “Will you go help Vic find the paper plates, please?”

Anna shoots me a death glare. “I don’t know where they are,” She snaps at me.

“Anna, please. You were the one who unpacked them.”

At this, Anna flings her chair back harshly and stomps into the kitchen, Vic following behind timidly. I giggle and high-five Tony across the table.

We tiptoe into the kitchen and I hear Anna mumbling obscenities to herself. “Where the hell could they be?” She asks aloud and walks deeper into the closet. Vic is lingering in the doorway – which isn’t helping the plan.

Suddenly, Mike takes two giant steps forward and thrusts his brother into the closet. Shocked, Vic stumbles in, landing on Anna in the process. Jaime comes in from the other side, grabbing the door and slamming it.

I hear cursing as Tony comes up and puts the chair underneath the handle while Mike and Jaime hold the door shut.

As soon as it locked them in, the boys move away the door. “Good work, boys,” I congratulate them and we all high-five. I hear only Vic yelling out, but I imagine Anna’s furious inside of that closet, mumbling threats to all of us.

“Let us out!” Vic commands and Mike grins, knowing he could make the situation worse. In fact, I truly believe that Mike asks himself, ‘What can I do to make Vic’s day worse, make Vic pissed off, or what can I say to tease Vic?’ on a daily basis. Which is absolutely hilarious.

“Not until you get things figured out!” Mike calls out, and cracks up. He and Tony high-five again.

“We’ve gotten things figured out!” Anna yells, “We’re completely fine! We’ve even shook hands!” We all look at each other and silently agree that it's a lie.

“Nope!” Jaime denies, “Not until you kiss and make up!”

We all laugh at this, but I hear Anna scream in frustration. God, I really hope she doesn’t kill me after this. Finally, it’s silence. It’s been like five minutes and we decide that playing Xbox would be more fun than this. So we leave the kitchen, and decide to come back in an hour.

While we sit on the couch, Jaime puts his arm around me and hugs me close. I lean into him, pressing my head into the crook of his neck. “Don’t worry,” He whispers. “They’ll get it figured out.”

I smile at him and cross my fingers. “I hope so.”

“What’s so good about picking up the pieces? What if I don’t even want to?” He sings softly to me, and we share a meaningful glance.

Vic will surely be the fire that will catch Annabel Morrison.

It’s only a matter of time.
♠ ♠ ♠
AHH! I cannot thank you guys enough for the comments!! I was honestly blown away. You guys complete my life. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Image

Next chapter will be Vic & Anna in the closet... haha. Predictions? Maybe you want something to happen? Let me know! ;)