Status: Active - slow but still plan to update/finish

Have You Ever Really Danced On the Edge?

Two

I couldn’t handle it any longer. Vic’s crazy driving was making me sick. Taylor didn’t seem to notice as she was laughing with Jaime and Tony. In the front seat, Vic and Mike were chatting, but I couldn’t really make out what they were saying. They both were talking in deep, low voices, seemingly serious compared to Jaime’s exciting adventures. I could just see the admiration in Taylor’s eyes, how she followed along to every word, interjecting at all the right moments. And I could also see Jaime’s appreciation for that in his eyes too, he clearly enjoyed someone loved his stories as much as he loved to tell them.

I couldn’t see how shy Taylor got along with these fellows. As much as I appreciated the escape from Morgan’s reception, I certainly couldn’t wait to get out of this van and out of the rock-band stench. I could just envision the four boys drinking a lot, saying derogatory remarks, and just being sloppy. Unprofessional. Which was definitely not my scene. As an abnormal eighteen year old, I preferred books to parties, having no real social life in high school. I don’t mean to be prejudice, but I’ve met thugs like them before.

Once Brandon introduced me to his cousin, Elliot. Elliot Wade Jr. was supposed to be going to Harvard, just like his father, Elliot Wade Sr. but instead started a garage rock-band, which did not work out, to say the least. Elliot used touring as an excuse to party, meet girls, and do drugs. He looked just like the four boys: tattoos, gauges, and long hair. It was all the same, boys like these were a dime a dozen.

I scoff to myself as I peer out the window, taking in San Diego around me. I could really use Brandon’s company; even just a text would be nice. I put my head in my hand and wait.

***

(Vic’s POV)

It was nice seeing Taylor Morrison again, she’d come out of her shell the last few times we’ve talked. This time around though, I could tell her and Jaime missed each other. Jaime had been excited once he knew Taylor was coming back to San Diego for her sister’s wedding. I could just tell they really liked each other’s company and he loved her attention.

But what I did not know was that she had a smokin’ hot sister. However, Annabel’s constant air of awkwardness and discomfort made me feel uncomfortable as well. She’d taken one look at Mike and wrinkled her nose in disgust but really, Mike’s tattoos were a representation of his interests and his artistic personality. As soon as I saw that, I wanted to show her we were nice guys, to sort of prove myself. We weren’t the boys she thought we were.

Glancing back, I notice Tony looking closely at Annabel. He probably thought the same thing – her distance from the group was quite apparent. She’s looking away from everyone, her head in her hand. I can’t help but feel attracted to her. Even with her cold shoulder, I want to move closer. I want to talk to her. I slam on the brakes and pull into the Taco Bell parking lot.

…And here’s my chance.

***
(Normal POV - Anna)

“Whoa!” I’m thrown into the seat in front of me, Mike’s. He laughs again at the sound of my body thudding against his back. He turns around to glance at me, “You okay back there?”

I wrinkle my nose, not wanting to joke. “I’m fine,” I say, leaving no room for extra conversation. Mike’s eyes widen at my snappish remark and he turns quickly away. Finally, someone gets a hint! I turn to tell Taylor how hungry I am when I see her, Tony and Jaime scramble out of the van.

Approaching the Taco Bell, I fall in step with Vic. I look down, silently wishing him away. “Sorry about my driving skills,” Vic says kindly.

I peer into his face and see his smile, inviting me in. I try not to groan in disgust. “Actually I was wondering how you didn’t fail your driver’s license test the whole way here.”

Vic laughs, patting my shoulder. My skin burns at the affection, “That’s for me to know, and for you to never find out! But anyway, have you ever been to San Diego before?”

I shake my head. He’s not getting the hint, “What about California?”

“Yeah, a couple of times. Morgan, my oldest sister, went to UCLA. Sometimes I’d come out here and visit her on days she didn’t have class,” I say. We’ve reached the door to Taco Bell, and Vic holds it open for me. “Thanks,” I mumble.

“Wow, that sounds pretty cool. So, you’re not from around here? How did Morgan end up in San Diego then?” Vic’s friendliness and curiosity is pissing me off. I look up at him and send him a dirty look. Maybe he could interpret that. He sees it, but laughs. “Am I asking too many questions for you?”

“Yes,” I say simply and approach the counter so our conversation ends.

****

The rest of the night I try to pretend to be interested in Jaime’s stories. This keeps me away from private conversation with Vic, but out of the corner of my eye, I see him glance at me from time to time. I just do not want to be here anymore. I keep checking my phone, no Brandon. Pretty soon, it is 1 in the morning. My patience has run quite thin.

Mike and the boys, like a group of teenage girls, have gone to the bathroom together leaving Taylor and I at the table. “So are you ready to go, Tay? I’m really tired, and I want to try Brandon’s cell on the hotel phone.”

“Anna, shut up. Brandon’s not going to pick up tonight, just try him again tomorrow. And aren’t you enjoying yourself? The boys are quite entertaining!” She says, laughing.

“No. I am not enjoying myself; I want my boyfriend. And no, I think these boys are a bunch of wannabe rock-star thugs!”

Taylor stares at me, “Annabel! Pierce the Veil has been nothing but nice to you all evening, even after you were a flat-out bitch to them! I understand how you can be upset with Brandon, you’ve been fighting and I know that, but that’s no reason to treat them the way you have. Plus, Pierce the Veil has made quite the progress in the last year and completely deserve all the rewards in the world.”

“Just because Jaime is your hunk of man-love does not make them creditable. They seem kind of sketchy to me. And you’re wrong; you can’t possibly understand what I’m going through with Brandon. I may or may not have a boyfriend by the end of these three summer months!” I slightly raise my voice, the whole Brandon scenario making me more upset.

“Annabel, please. You’re going to be starting at the San Diego University next year; you can meet other people there. Brandon’s not the only guy out there for you to date. He may mean a lot to you, he’s your first serious boyfriend, but there’s a whole world outside of high school waiting for you. Now, please, just calm down and we’ll go back to Fuentes’ house, it’ll be fun,” Taylor says, and the boys come out of the bathroom.

Upon his arrival at the table, Vic smiles at me. I look down. Mike says something about going back to his and Vic’s house. We all get up, Taylor and I lagging behind. Taylor puts her hand in the small of my back and whispers in my ear, “This will get your mind off of Brandon,” she says, “And who knows? Maybe you could even try flirting with Vic a little bit.”

She giggles in my ear, and I slightly smile at the sound. It was nice to be noticed, but Vic was not Brandon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2 was pretty boring. Next chapter it will pick up, promise!

I feel like a little background is necessary, a little explanation for y'all. I feel like the setting is not clear:

So, Annabel & her boyfriend, Brandon have been fighting and haven't resolved their conflicts when Morgan's wedding day arrives. The wedding is set in San Diego, California. Annabel's family is originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. However, now she is going to the University of San Diego and Taylor will live with her. The story is set in June.

Isn't Anna just a bitch? :)

Comments pour moi?