Back To December

Home

BTD 38
LaPush,Washington. 
Three days later

"It's good to be home. " I whispered, running my fingers down the kitchen counter. Paul smiled at the from the door frame that he was leaning against. 

He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind,"It's good to have you home. Been so lonely since you left."

I leaned back against his chest,"I'm so tired, Paul. I think I'm gonna lay down for a while," I whispered, still in a daze. 

He nodded with a worried expression, releasing me. 
"'I'll wake you up in a bit, okay? The guys wanted to throw a bonfire, to celebrate your return."

I nodded, walking down the hall to our bedroom. 
Opening the door, I sighed in relief at the sight of the familiar bed. 

I was so tired of hotels. 

I slipped off my sandals, sliding under the covers and crawling underneath. 

As I lay there in the dark, staring at the ceiling, my hand moved to cover my stomach. 

Miscarriage. 

It's not a word thrown around lightly. 

I had been pregnant and not know it. 
I had been oblivious to the fact that I was carrying Paul's child, and had frequently tried to drink my life away. 

What the hell is wrong me?
I don't deserve someone like Paul. 

I moved my hand to rest at my side and closed my eyes, letting myself fall into the deep abyss it so needed. 

PAUL POV

"So how is it? Having her back?" Embry asked, sitting on the kitchen counter. 

I sighed, palming my face,"Not what I expected. I'm worried about Kara"

Embry rose an eyebrow, sliding off the counter. 
"What's wrong?"

Paul looked down at his feet,"I think this whole miscarriage thing has really gotten to her. Sometimes I see her sitting in silence with a hand over her stomach, embracing the child we could've had. I don't know what to say to make it better."

Embry nodded, processing,"This sort of thing is a big deal to chicks, man. You just gotta let it pass, and it will. Just takes time. "

"When did you get so wise?" Paul  chuckled, punching his friend in the shoulder jokingly, but with a serious expression. 

Embry shrugged it off, moving to the front door, about to leave,"Talk to her. Make sure she knows you don't blame her. "

And with that he left, leaving Paul to his thoughts.