Bold Fenian Men

Chapter One

"Ah, no, you wouldn’t," Padraig laughed as his best friend, Cillian, held his drink threateningly.

"I would too! You drink far too much." Padraig laughed again.

"Cillian, I have had one beer. That's hardly alcoholic standard, is it?"

"Well, I know you. "Just one more, Cillian", you'll go, and I'll say yes and then you'll get drunk and stand on the table and proclaim your love to Roisin again."

"Roisin doesn’t mind. She's cool with it."

"I'll tip it over, I swear to God I will."

"If you tip it over, Cillian old buddy old pal, I will have to kill you. I am sorry, but that's the way it'll have to work."

"Try to say that they're not the words of an alcoholic!" Cillian laughed.

"They're not the words of an alcoholic. They're the words of a too-be murderer if Cillian does not give Padraig his drink back."

"Are you pair fighting over drinks again?" Roisin, the young, brown-haired bargirl, came over, rolling her soft brown eyes at the bickering friends. "It's all you ever do!"

"Ah, Roisin, the love of my life," Padraig never did hold back his flirting with Roisin. "Get me another beer, and put it on Cillian's tab." Cillian hastily gave Padraig his beer back. "Still do it." Padraig said his cheeky green eyes shining with laughter at the look on his best friend's face.

"Padraig, that's the flyest thing ever." Cillian muttered. Padraig put on a high-pitched voice and mimicked Cillian's Belfast accent. Roisin laughed.

"Padraig Caraher, you are evil to your poor city-slicking friend." Cillian folded his arms triumphantly.

"See, you South Armagh muck-sprayer? She's sticking up for me, not you!" Padraig laughed.

"I do not spray muck. I drive lorries. And anyway, you've a girlfriend. I could get in with Roisin any time I want."

"I'm standing here, lad," Roisin folded her arms, pretending to be offended.

"So you are going to back me up then?" Padraig asked.

"Cillian, pour his drink away," Roisin laughed.

"NO!" Padraig yelled, diving for his drink, grabbing it and downing it. "Ha!" In his haste to taunt his friend he sprayed beer everywhere. Roisin pulled a face.

"That's why I'd never go out with you, Padraig Caraher. You are disgusting!"

"Ah, Roisin, come on!" Padraig laughed, wiping beer off his chin. Roisin rolled her eyes.

"Dream on," she said, smiling, before going to serve another customer.

"Nice to see you still have it, Padraig." Cillian muttered, trying to hold in laughter. Padraig laughed.

"You know what's sad? I've still more of a chance than you."