Bold Fenian Men

Chapter Seventeen

Padraig arrived back at the pub later that evening, after he had showered and changed out of his bloodstained clothes. He had to make sure he was thorough in cleaning himself up. If any firearms residue or a single speck of blood was found on him, then he could easily be charged for the killing.

Padraig was soon glad that he had. A couple of minutes after arriving at the pub, several policemen walked in. Roisin looked up, and then groaned loudly.

"What do you want, eh, lads?" Padraig laughed. He loved a little game with the police. He was the world's most wanted IRA man, and he loved he fact that they police could never actually directly associate him with a crime. He'd been arrested many times before, but they'd never been able to press charges.

The policemen did a double take as they saw Padraig Caraher sitting at the bar, looking quite chilled out despite his situation.

"Over here." one of the peelers suddenly said. Padraig jumped up as well, to see what they were doing.

"Padraig, no messing," Roisin said softly as he went over to investigate. She knew that he loved a game with the police and she was worried that he'd drop himself in it one day. But Padraig was a lot smarter than that. He'd proved that time and time again.

There was the tiniest, most discrete speck of blood on the carpet. Padraig frowned, cursing the peeler's good sight.

"Damn it," he muttered.

"So, Caraher? Know anything about this?"

"Of course I don't." Padraig said, making himself sound affronted.

"Belfast Brigade's work and you don’t know anything about it?"

"What makes you think I'm in charge?" he peeler laughed again.

"Ah, Padraig, you still make us laugh, you know that?" he nodded at the others, and then they suddenly moved forward and handcuffed Padraig.

"Awh, come on, lads." Padraig said, sticking out his bottom lip and wobbling it. "I've not done anything."

"I'm sure you haven’t, Padraig. I'm sure you're completely innocent and nothing to do with the IRA in any way."

"Now we're on the same mind track." Padraig said, as he was shoved out of the pub, Roisin watching with her hands at her mouth in shock.

"Get in the car. And mind your head."

"You didn’t tell me that last time you arrested me. Bloody four o'clock in the morning and you whacked my head of the car for good measure."

"And I never want to listen to you going on about mistreatment and lawyers for three hours again."

"I knew it would get me somewhere." Padraig said casually, as he was pushed into the back of the car.