Bold Fenian Men

Chapter Nineteen

A week later and Padraig was sitting in one of the interrogation rooms, hoping that he would be let out soon. He couldn't wait to get back home and get something half-decent to eat.

The police had already searched the house, but Roisin had phoned Cillian straight after Padraig had been arrested, and by the time the police got there the guns were long gone, as well as Padraig's bloodstained clothes.

"Can I go yet?" Padraig asked. "Seriously, it gets a bit dull after a week."

"Well, you're not going to like what we're about to tell you then, are you?" Padraig's face darkened.

"What do you mean?" he asked flatly.

"You're being charged with the murder of David Gamble."

"What the fuck?" Padraig burst out. He felt his heartbeat quicken and he hoped it wasn't showing on his face. "How did you work that one out?"

"Let's just say we have our ways." There was no doubt about it – the two detectives were smirking. Here was Padraig Caraher, and they finally had him for something.

Unfortunately for them, their happiness was short-lived. There was suddenly a knock on the door. The newcomer did a double take upon seeing Padraig, and Padraig winked at him before the man composed himself.

"There's a wee lass here who says she wants to see you." he informed them.

"Really? Who is she?"

"She says her name's Roisin Quinn." Padraig looked up sharply. What was Roisin doing here?

"Well, let's see what she has to say, then."

The man went back out and returned a few minutes later with Roisin. She flashed Padraig a smile and then looked at the detectives.

"I've something you might want to know."

"Really? And what is it?" Roisin pointed to Padraig.

"This man's innocent. He wasn't even at the pub when the guy was shot."

"And how do you know this?"

"Because I was with him. We were at my flat. That's how I know." Padraig stopped himself from looking shocked just as the detectives both looked at him.

"Well, Caraher?"

"Yeah, that's right." Padraig nodded.

"So how come you haven’t mentioned this before?"

"Sure I didn’t want to get her involved in everything."

"He came up to my house at about five o'clock in the afternoon. He didn’t leave until ten o'clock when I stated my shift."

"Why there so long, Caraher?"

"Roisin was upset," Padraig said. He thought quickly and said the first thing that popped into his head. "She and her boyfriend split up and she wanted me to come over."

"Are you quite sure this is true, Miss Quinn?"

"Yes, I am."

'"And you know it is an offence to be lying at this stage?"

"I do."