Bold Fenian Men

Chapter Twenty

"Why did you do that?" Padraig asked Roisin as they arrived back at Roisin's flat.

"Because I couldn’t have you being thrown in jail."

"You'll be the one thrown in jail if they find you out."

"Well, they won't." Roisin said firmly. "Stay with me tonight. They’re searching your house again."

"What about Cillian?"

"He's with Cearnaigh."

"That's all right." Padraig smiled. "So how have things been while I was gone?" Roisin laughed.

"You've only been gone a week, Padraig."

"Well, a week's long enough for that lot to cock up." Padraig chuckled.

"You're lucky." Roisin smiled. "They didn’t this time. Cillian took over why you were gone."

"Ah, but now I'm top of the food chain!" Padraig cackled evilly and rubbed his hands together. Roisin shook her head, giggling.

There was suddenly a knock on the door and a man's voice sounded through the small flat.

"Rois?" he called.

"I'm in here!" she replied. A man a little older than Padraig and Roisin entered.

"Oh, I see." The young man eyed Padraig and his eyes shone with laughter. "My little sister got a bit of a love affair going?" Roisin laughed.

"No, I'm afraid not. No gossip for you. Padraig's just a friend."

"Just a friend, hey? That's what they all say."

"Padraig, this is my big brother Seamus."

"Just call me Lenny." he said.

"Why?" Padraig asked curiously. Lenny frowned for a minute.

"I'm not sure. I've just been called Lenny for ages."

"Why didn’t your parents just name you Lenny?"

"Not sure. Perhaps you should ask them?" Padraig laughed and Lenny grinned.

"Lenny, this is Padraig Caraher," Roisin said. "And he is just a friend before you go around telling Ma that I've got myself a boyfriend."

"The Padraig Caraher, eh?" Lenny bowed. "I'm honoured." Padraig laughed.

"Damn straight."

"So what business do you have with my little sister, then?" Lenny asked curiously.

"She just bailed me out of jail."

"Seriously? Rois, what are you doing getting involved?"

"Lenny, I'm twenty years old now. If I want to lie about things I can."

"You'd better hope I don’t tell Ma."

"I'll get Padraig to kneecap you for touting." Lenny laughed.

"All right, we don’t want any trouble."

"So what brings you round?" Roisin asked her big brother.

"Just making sure you're all right. There's been a body found, have ye heard?"

"What?" Roisin and Padraig demanded at the same time.

"You haven’t heard? Oh, of course, you were bailing Padraig out of jail." Lenny glanced at Padraig. "Perhaps I shouldn’t say here?"

"It's not one of my guys, is it?" Padraig asked, his voice dull and flat, full of foreboding.

"I can’t be sure. All I heard was that the UVF claimed responsibility for it because of their guy last week." Padraig buried his head in his hands.

"Fuck," he muttered. "Excuse me a minute. Can I use your phone?"

"Sure," Roisin said quietly, looking worried.

Padraig went into the hall and rang Cearnaigh's number.

"Cearnaigh?" he asked as soon as the phone was picked up.

"Padraig! You all right?"

"I'm fine. What about you and Cillian?" There was a long pause. Padraig felt his heart thumping wildly.

"Isn’t Cillian with you?" came the blunt reply.

"No," Padraig whispered hoarsely. "Cearnaigh, there's been a body found. You don’t think it's …?"

"It wouldn’t be." Cearnaigh said softly.

"I'm going looking for him."

"Padraig, don’t do anything stupid." Cearnaigh warned. Padraig nodded, preoccupied, before realising Cearnaigh couldn’t see him.

"I won't." Padraig hung up, called goodbye to Roisin and Lenny, and left before they, too, could lecture him.