Bold Fenian Men

Chapter Twenty-Nine

'PADRAIG!'

'Huh?' Padraig had only just opened his eyes and already someone had thrown himself at him and hugged him, nearly causing him to black out again because of lack of air.

'PADRAIG! YOU'RE ALIVE!'

'Of course I'm alive, Cillian, you muppet,' Padraig muttered. 'Now fuck off and let me sleep,'

'HE'S STILL THE SAME PADRAIG!' Cillian danced around the room happily.

'Who else would I be, you gimp?' Padraig muttered, weakly pulling the covers over his head.

'You not want to have a chat, then?' Cillian laughed. Padraig heard a faint slap as someone hit him with their magazine.

'Leave him be, Cillian!' Padraig pulled the covers off at Roisin's voice.

'Rois?' he asked. Roisin smiled.

'How are you, Padraig?'

'I've been better.'

'Humph!' Cillian huffed. 'You don’t swear at her!'

'That's because she's not infuriatingly annoying like you are.' Padraig replied.

'Hey! I don’t think that's very nice.' Cillian said. 'It's mean and thoughtless and all that.'

'You know, still being the same Padraig Caraher, I really would like to throttle you right now.' Padraig said. He looked down. 'But, alas, my arm is in a sling. Well, son. You wait. You just wait!'

'I'm sure you'll have good craic chasing me.' Cillian laughed.

'Damn right I will.'

~

A few weeks later saw Padraig finally out of the hospital. It was just as well, as the livelier Padraig became, a bigger a curse he became to the nurses, who had a World War keeping Padraig in his bed.

Now, Cillian was the person in charge of this war, and he wasn't having much luck.

'Padraig, seriously!' he yelled at his friend, upon entering the kitchen to find Padraig making a cup of coffee.

'What? If you'd have got it for me I wouldn't be here!'

'You didn't ask!'

'Read my mind next time.'

'Yes, your majesty.' Cillian said sarcastically, mock bowing down.

'So, when can I get back to work, doctor?' Padraig asked, taking a sip of hot coffee and sighing happily. Cillian blinked at Padraig.

'What?'

'When can I get back to work?'

'You want to go back?'

'Of course I want to go back. You think I'm going to leave the scoreboard with them one up on me?'

'Padraig, I don't think –'

Padraig glared, and Cillian fell silent.

'I'll go back, Cillian. If everyone gave up five seconds after they got hurt once, where would we be?' he laughed. 'I'm going to have a lot of fun devising ways to get a hold of McAllister. It certainly gave me something to do in the hospital.'