Bold Fenian Men

Chapter Thirty-Two

Padraig was preoccupied for the rest of the day after Roisin left. Cillian watched him from the armchair, confused as to why his best friend was jumping up every five minutes and pacing across the living room, running his hand through his dark brown hair and groaning loudly at frequent intervals.

"Are you going to tell us what's up, or are you just going to moan about it?" he eventually asked. Padraig stopped pacing for a few seconds and watched Cillian, before beginning to pace again.

"I've finally said it," he eventually muttered.

"What?" Cillian was confused. This didn’t sound like a normal Padraig-problem.

"I told Roisin I was falling in love with her," Padraig muttered, running his hand through his hair again and then beginning to pace even faster.

"Well, surely that's a good thing?" Cillian asked, even more confused, if that was possible.

"No, it's not. Well, yes, I suppose it is … but now I've … how would you explain it?"

Cillian smiled, shaking his head at his best friend. On second thoughts, this was exactly like Padraig.

"You're not a weak person because you love someone, Padraig." Padraig stopped and gawped at his friend.

"How did you – what was – how –"

"Come on, Padraig. I've known you nearly my whole life. I read you like a book. You're scared that because you've admitted that you can feel love, that you're weak. Well you're not. It's normal."

"I didn't …"

"Padraig! Seriously! I know when I'm right. And I'm right now." Padraig sighed, admitting defeat.

"I don't know if I can be in a relationship, Cillian." he whispered. "I'm so scared that McAllister's lot will find out, and if he gets his hands on Roisin then I'll do anything he wants to stop him hurting her. I'd even blow my own brains out if it meant she wouldn’t be harmed. I feel bad exposing her to that."

"The girl's mad, Padraig. Like you. She'd probably pull a gun from her bra or something." Padraig smiled. He just hoped, comical as the thought was, that it never came to that.

Padraig groaned and went up to his bedroom, collapsing on the bed and staring at the ceiling, just wishing he had Roisin in his arms again.

"Are you coming?" Padraig didn’t know how long he lay there, but he was startled by Cillian poking his head round the door.

"Coming where?"

"The good old pub. You're swearing in some new IRA Volunteers today."

"Oh, God. More of them." Padraig rolled his eyes and Cillian laughed.

"More people for you to boss about, Padraig."

"Fair enough." Padraig got up and put some half-decent clothes on, and then he and Cillian slowly made their way on foot to the pub.

"Do you know another thing I love about Roisin?" Padraig was asking as they turned the corner onto the main street through the Falls district, the Falls Road.

"What?" Cillian rolled his eyes.

"They way her eyes sparkle when she laughs. I've never seen that in a wee lass before." Cillian laughed. "What?" Padraig added.

"Padraig Caraher is in luuuurve." Cillian chuckled.

"Shh! Not so loud!" Padraig glanced round as Cillian laughed again.

"You know, the wedding shall be hard to hide!"

"It shan't. I'll just murder you so you can’t tell anyone."

"I love the way you're not protesting about marriage."

Padraig did his world-famous "shocked goldfish" impression, and then went a brilliant shade of bright red.