Status: Active. Mostly often yet irregular updates.

And the world stopped spinning

Chapter Seven -Max

I jumped slightly when my phone buzzed in my pocket. I switched my books around to my other arm, and pulled out my phone. I checked the message -I had an E-mail. I didn't really care, but I decided to see who it was from anyway. I opened the message and read it.
Max Martinez,
You have one (1) unread messages in your inbox.
Subject: Re: (No subject)
From: Fang Ride

My heart skipped a beat, wondering what he'd sent. I was going to check my mail as soon as I got my hands on a computer with the internet. Which wouldn't be until I got home. Ugh.
Somebody passing me in the hallway bumped me, and I realized I'd stopped walking. I cussed, slid my phone back into my pocket, and made my way to my next class.
My head was even more crouded with thoughts than before. I felt like I'd explode. When the teacher asked me a question, I just murmered in response. He asked if I wanted to go to sick bay, but I shook my head no. I couldn't be bothered. Iggy was the only one of my friends that had this class, and he sat next to me on my left. He reached over to touch my hand under the table. I wrote "I'm okay" on his hand, and he nodded, but didn't look convinced. I'd have some explaining to do later.
The bell went for second break, and I slowly got out of my chair, picking up all my books and slinging my bag over my shoulder. I walked out of the room and to my locker, putting in my combination and opening the door. I put my books in, grabbing the one book i'd need for my last class after lunch. I moved back to close the door when I caught sight of the picture I had taped to the inside of it.
I took it off, and looked at it. The picture was of me and Fang, our arms wrapped around each other, Fang nuzzling my neck, making me laugh. Fang was wearing the typical black shirt and camo board shorts, and I was wearing a black bakini with dark red blotches all over it. I remembered when this photo was taken, just four months ago when we were at the beach. It was summer then, and we had an awesome time.
My eyes started to water at the memory, and I put a hand up to cover my mouth. That felt like so long ago, like it was just a distant past. I looked at the photo again, then tore it in half, right down the middle, and turned around. I shoved the two pieces into Fang's locker, sliding them under the door.
I turned back around to find Iggy leaning against my locker, waiting for me. For once, I was glad he was blind, and didn't see what I just did. I walked back to my locker, which was still open, and closed it. I locked it, and Iggy looked up at me -I was about five or six inches taller than him.
"You want to go someplace quiet?" He asked me, and I nodded. Though he couldn't see me, he somehow knew. He took my hand and led me through the people in the corridor, taking me outside into the main courtyard. This was the grassy area between all the buildings, which were arranged in a circle around a statue in the middle where the paths met. He took me past it and into the band room, where we went in and thankfully found nobody.
He sat me down on one of the plastic chairs at the edge of the room, then sat in one across from me. He was sitting in it backwards, leaning on the back of the chair with his arms crossed. He got out his lunch and started eating it. I wasn't that hungry still, so I just pulled out a muesli bar and nibbled on that. We sat in silence for a bit, before Iggy spoke.
"How was art?" He asked, trying to make small talk in the awkward silence. I shrugged, even though he couldn't see.
"Alright, I guess. Normal." My voice sounded bored, and I was glad I was able to make it sound like that. Iggy nodded.
"What did you do last break?" He asked me. Geez, why so many questions? He could just say something obvious, like "A new book by that guy you like came out yesterday" or something like that.
That brought back memories of the phone call with Fang.
"Nudge and I went to the library." I said simply, hoping he wouldn't go further. My hopes were in vain.
"Mm, so? What did you do there?"
"We talked."
"About?"
"Stuff."
He pretended to frown. "You're not the best at descriptions, Max." He smiled a bit after making the little joke that we had, and I couldn't help but give a little smile back. He reached one hand out play with a strand of my hair. "Tell me what's wrong. I wont judge."
God I loved Iggy. Not the same way I loved Fang, but as a best friend. He always knew how to help me, how to make me feel better, how to make me smile. He was a great friend, irreplacable.
I took a deep breath. "Nudge called Fang to see if he was okay," I said quietly, my fingers playing with the hem of my shirt. He nodded again.
"Is he?" He asked, with genuine worry. He and Fang were good friends. We all were. At least until now.
It was my turn to nod this time. "Yeah. 'Just had a bit of a cool down' I think he said." Iggy raised an eyebrow. "Nudge put him on speaker. He didn't know I was there."
"Ah." He thought for a second. "Did he say anything else?"
I thought over the conversation, and found nothing really important to point out to him. "He said he should be back tomorrow." I looked away for a bit, then at Iggy's wonderful ice blue eyes. "Nudge asked if he'd died." I said, smiling, trying to lighten the mood.
Iggy laughed. "Oh, Nudge. She's clueless sometimes... But she's a good girl to be around."
"Mm." I nodded in agreement, then we lapsed into silence. I watched his deep eyes flick around blindly, looking for something they couldn't see. I liked how his eyes were like that. They couldn't see, but they weren't blank like most others- His were full of emotion and depth, a seemingly endless swirl of blue.
We sat in silence the rest of the break, which was thankfully quite short. I nearly jumped out of my skin when the bell went, and Iggy laughed. I scowled and picked up my things, putting my satchel bag over one shoulder. Iggy grabbed his backpack and walked up behind me, following me out.
He grabbed my hand, stopping me. He looked at a point just above my eyebrows -so he wasn't perfect, but pretty good for a blind kid.
"Max, I know you'll sort this out someday. I know you will..." He trailed off, then reached up and tucked a bit of my hair behind my ear. He smiled. "Have fun in Gym. I'll drive you home, if you like?"
"I'd love that. Thank you, Iggy." I said, giving him a half-smile. He waved and turned to leave. "See ya." I called after him, then turned to head to the Gym, which was at the back of the school. It was the biggest building on campus, so it was easy to find.
What Iggy said made me think. The E-mail I sent him I just wrote out of hate, anguish, and lost love, but maybe there really was a way I could fix this. No, there couldn't possibly be anything to solve this, to patch up the hole in my chest where Fang used to be. Nothing could help that.
I was on the verge of crying again by the time I got to the Gym, and I composed myself before walking in, so nobody would see just how fragile I was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Delicious~ :3
So Fang hasn't gotten any longer chapters in a while. The next chapter will be Max, because I can't think of what to write otherwise. The next Fang chapter I promise to make as long as Max's ones. I'm sorry, Fang!
R&R? I'm open for any ideas, comments or criticism, so please let me know what you think. Thank you for reading seven chapters of my boring this-isn't-going-anywhere-like-AT-ALL story. I really appreciate it. :)
~Kris