Status: Active. Mostly often yet irregular updates.

And the world stopped spinning

Chapter Nine -Fang

I was still steaming mad at Max when I walked into the Math room, Max already at her seat and doodling on the edges of her book, which was open to a blank page. I dumped my bag down on my desk and sat down, leaning back and crossing my arms, staring down at the desk.
Did she always pry into things like that? Did she not know what privacy was? Honestly. If I didn't tell her straight up, then I don't want her to know! I thought she would have figured that out by now.
I grabbed my bag and took my book and a pen out, putting them on the desk and shoving my bag on the floor underneath it. I flipped to the back of the book, the inside of the back cover covered in stuff Max had drawn. Frowning, I turned the page, heading backwards through the book. I found a blank page and began writing song lyrics down, remembering the words from one that I'd listened to a while ago on the radio.
I had half the lyrics down by the time the time our Math teacher came in. I had them finished by the time the bell rang for first break. I'd done all the work before, so I had the equations finished quickly, and finished them then.
I picked my bag up from under the desk, placing it on my lap and opening it to put my pen away. I grabbed my book and walked out, slinging my backpack over one shoulder. I walked out into the hall, then over to my locker. I tore the lyrics out of the back, folding the paper and putting in my pocket, before putting my book away, grabbing the ones I'd need for after lunch.
Something fell out as I slid the books out, and I paused, looking down at it. Them, rather -two halves of something that looked like a photo. I bent down to pick them up, standing back up and looking at the other side.
It was the picture Max kept in her locker, of me and her at the beach. She'd said that this was one of her favourite ones of us, and that's why she stuck it up. I stared at it, holding the two halves together so they made one picture.
It hurt me, seeing this. Especially the way she tore it -right down the middle, seperating our images from each other.
Sighing, I put it back in my locker, not bothering to deal with it right now. I shut and locked the door, then stopped, thinking about what I would waste the next hour of break on. I decided to go to the band room, where I had my next class.
I opened the door a crack, to see if anybody was in here, and when I didn't see anybody I walked in, closing the door behind me. I walked over to a stool at the back of the room, putting my bag down next to it.
I sighed, looking around the room. I saw the guitar I always use during practice close by, behind a drum kit, and leaned over, picking it up. I leaned the edge of it on my knee, looking down at the glossy wood of the acoustic. I picked a set of strings, then started to play, the tune to the song lyrics I wrote down filling the silent room. I hummed the tune as I played, closing my eyes and letting my fingers pluck at the strings.
I'd been playing for nearly a minute when I heard a faint click. I stopped, my eyes snapping open. I saw Max there, her blonde-brown hair hanging loose around her face, and her hand on the door, having just pushed it shut.
"Oh." I said, my eyes narrowing. I put the guitar down, leaning it against the stool. I picked up my bag and put it back over my shoulder. Max just stared at me, her face blank but the tiniest bit surprised. "I should be going now, anyways," I mumbled, walking past her and grabbing the door knob. She moved back, out of the way, looking down.
"Fang," She said quietly, looking up at me. I turned my head to look at her, my face bored.
"What?" I asked, sounding uninterested.
"... Nevermind. Forget it." I stared at her for a bit, wondering what she was going to say, then turned and walked out, closing the door rather hard behind me. I leant my back against the closed door, looking down. I heard her slam her bag down on the ground, making a frustrated noise, and took that as my cue to leave.
I pushed myself off of the door, silently moving down the hall and outside. I checked the time on my watch -it was still pretty early into break. I decided to pop into the library, see if they had any new books.
I made my way across the courtyard to the main building, turning left and heading to the end, where the library was. I walked in, slowly strolling past the rows of books to the little stand by the counter where they put all the new books they got in. I looked over it, seeing if there were any books worth reading. One caught my eye, and I picked it up to read the blurb.
"Fang! Hey!" I jumped slightly when Gazzy hit me on the back, smiling. I turned to look at him, putting the book back.
"Hey, Gaz." I said, putting my hands in the pockets of my jumper.
"Where ya been at, huh? Sneaking off with some girls?" He winked and nudged me with his elbow. I rolled my eyes.
"Always with you and the girls..." I said, a slight smile on my face. He laughed, then led me over to where he and the others were sitting, a table at the back of the room. I sat on the table next to it, not bothering with a chair.
I spent the rest of my lunch there, just talking about whatever came up. I was glad none of them mentioned Max, but Iggy gave me a look at one point that showed me he wanted to know something. I wasn't looking forward to being alone with him in English tomorrow.
The bell went, and I picked up my stuff, walking with the others to the band room. We all had band together except for Angel and Gazzy, who said bye and left to go to their class. I normally liked band, but being stuck in a half-empty room -most of the class was on Band Camp- with Max after what happened just before would be really awkward.
I sighed when we got to the room, and I paused. Iggy turned to look at me -well, not really look, but you know what I mean.
"You okay Fang?" He asked, cocking his head slightly.
"Yeah. Sorry," I mumbled, then walked in, Iggy following me. I took a seat on the same stool up the back I was sitting on before, the guitar still leaning against it. The others were already sitting down around me, Max next to Nudge, furthest from me. I saw her glance over when I sat down, dumping my bag on the floor, but I pretended not to notice.

"So who would like to go first?" Ms.R asked the class, looking at us expectantly. We were having a little play-off kind of thing, and whoever got the most votes at the end won twenty bucks, which Ms.R had 'no need for and wanted to give it to her lovely students'. She was weird, but a nice teacher. "Fang!" I looked up at her, the paper with the lyrics on it in my hand. "Would you do us the honors?" I nodded, not really wanting to, but I didn't want to dissapoint her.
I stood up, grabbing the guitar on my way over. I stood on the little stage made out of carpet blocks at the front of the room, putting the paper on the bookstand in front of me. I took a deep breath, glanced at Max, who was staring out the window, then started playing.

I remember what you wore on the first day,
You came into my life and I thought hey,
You know this could be something.

'Cause everything you do in words you say,
You know that it all takes my breath away,
And now I'm left with nothing.

So maybe it's true,
That I can't live without you,
And maybe two is better than one.

But there's so much time
To figure out the rest of my life,
And you've already got me coming undone,
And I'm thinking two is better than one.

I remember every look upon your face,
The way you roll your eyes, the way you taste,
You make it hard for breathing.

'Cause when I close my eyes and drift away,
I think of you and everything's okay.
I'm finally now believing.

That maybe it's true,
That I can't live without you,
Maybe two is better than one.

But there's so much time
To figre out the rest of my life,
And you've already got me coming undone,
And I'm thinking two is better than one.

I remember what you wore on the first day,
You came into my life and I thought hey,
Maybe it's true,
That I can't live without you,
And maybe two is better than one.

There's so much time
To figure out the rest of my life,
And you've already got me coming undone.

And I'm thinking ooh,
I can't live without you,
'Cause baby, two
Is better than one.

There's so much time
To figure out the rest of my life,
But I figured out with all that's said and done,
Two is better than one,
Two is better than one.


The room applauded, and I saw out of my peripherals that Max was looking down at her desk, frowning. I sighed, faked a smile at Ms.R, then walked over and took my seat.
A few others went after me -Nudge and Iggy played an instrumental version to a song I couldn't remember the name of, Ben sang 'Breaking the Habit' by Linkin Park, Angela did and Irish dance, and I stopped paying attention about there.
We voted by writing the names of who we liked on a piece of paper and putting them in a bucket, which Ms.R then proceeded to count. She got Tobias to do a drumroll, then announced that I'd one. Yay me. I told her I didn't want it, so she gave to to Nudge and Iggy, who came second. After that we all just sat and talked until it was time for our next class.
I grabbed my bag and walked out, shoving my hands in my pockets. I was talking to Nudge - rather, she was talking non-stop to me- on the way to Art, her class next door to mine. I waved her goodbye when we got there, turning to go into the class room, then somebody ran up behind me, touching my shoulder. I spun around to see who it was, and my heart skipped a beat but sank at the same time.
"What, Max?" I said, sounding bored. She tucked a stray bit of hair behind her ear, looking away, waving a little at Iggy, who was already in the room.
"I just wanted to that... you were really good. In Band." I stared at her for a few seconds, forcing my face to stay blank while I thought about it.
"...Thanks, I guess," I mumbled, before walking in and taking my seat.
I didn't pay much attention to class. My thoughts were drifting aimlessly between Max and myself. I almost didn't hear it when the bell went for second break. I walked out to my locker, changed my books, then went to find somewhere quiet that wasn't the band room. I snuck out to sit at the edge of the forest at the rear border of the school, leaning against a tree. I didn't bother with lunch.
I'd been sitting for about five minutes or so when I heard something behind me. I was instantly on my feet, spinning around to see what it was. And came face-to-face with a girl I'd never seen before.
"Oh! Did I startle you? I am sooo sorry! I'm new, and I was just seeing if there was anything out here." She smiled, her straight, pearly teeth glinting a little with the sunlight. She flipped the straight fringe of her deep red hair out of her eyes, making her shoulder-length ringlets bounce a little. She stuck out her hand, an invitation for me. "I'm Camile Sanders, by the way. You?"
I hesitated, then shook her hand, my pale skin a strong contrast to her golden tan.
"Fang. Fang Ride."
♠ ♠ ♠
*Squeal* Finally got his chapter up here! A bit longer than I anticipated, but it makes up for him not being having a decent one for a while. Cherry Mistmas. :D Hope ya'll like it!
*Oh yeah, the disclaimer thing... I don't own anybody but Camile and Ben. And Angela. And Ms.R. Yeah... The song is "Two is better than one" by Boys Like Girls. Thanks to Max, for telling me to listen to it.^^
Thanks!
~Kris