Status: Join in!

Gerard Way's Birthday Mibba Collaboration 2011

Gerard, Happy Birthday.

Dear Gerard,

The first song of yours I heard was Teenagers. It was on a television channel that I was watching with my dad and brother. The main thing that stuck with me then was the gas masks the cheerleaders wore in the background. Why? My dad made a reference about my brother being associated with gas masks, and me being eleven at the time, it stuck with me.

I had heard it in the August or somewhere around that time, and come that September I had entered high school. I never knew the name of the song I had heard, but I knew the video. However, my thoughts turned around because no one I spoke to knew a video like that, and I thought it had been a dream or something.

Something happened, and I don’t know what, but I somehow managed to find Teenagers again. And I finally found out who sung it. And me being nosy, I went online and researched the name. And based on me liking that one song of yours, I brought all three albums that were out at the time. My love for you guys sprung up from a love I had over one song.

When my mum was diagnosed with cancer, I didn’t know what to do. I was young and thought that there was no way anyone survives cancer, television does to this you. And during the November in ’09, I almost committed suicide because I couldn’t handle my family life, my school life and the thought of losing my mother.

What exactly made me stop, I don’t know exactly. But when I stopped, I went downstairs and found I’m Not Okay (I Promise) on a music channel. And I fucking burst into tears, thankfully I was home alone.

No matter what you think or what you do, I’ll always be grateful that you saved my life. You, the band, and everything you work for, saved my life, a girl who you didn’t know and never will know.

Thank you Gerard, thank you so much. You gave me strength and faith that I didn’t think I had. You’re an amazing and beautiful human being. I’m a killjoy by heart, and a member of the best army by life. The MCRmy.

From,
Kayleigh Barnett.

P.S. The killjoys in North Wales would love to see you up here some time. Keep The Faith, and Keep It Ugly. <3