Status: No longer on Hiatus!!<333

Life is Beautiful

Prologue

“Hey.”

His skin seemed paler and cooler than usual that day, as my fingers traced his defined jawbone. From his chin I began, outlining his rigid jaw, until my finger reached his right ear. Resting my scarred fingers on his cheek, he shut his eyes and the two of us stood there, unmoving. Jason watched contentedly from his spot to our right; his fingers shoved into the pockets of his dark jeans and his head cocked to the side. Layers of sweatshirts covered his mocha skin, and flowing brown hair was covered with a beanie. A frown disgraced those lips that always held a smile otherwise, and gave away his true emotion: sadness. Directly behind me, Julie’s eyes bore holes into my back, trying to see through the “I’m fine” attitude I had thrown on that morning. It was an outlook that was slowly beginning to fail as I stared at the boy’s face in front of me, held it in my hand. Out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed Monica watching our exchange, and her own jaw was clenched and hazel eyes were on fire. Her glare depicted such irritation the irises seemed to turn red under the lighting. I tried to pretend I didn’t notice or, if she could tell, that I didn’t care.

“Hi.”

The world moved on around us, despite my belief it would stop before the twelfth hour and leave us on repeat the passed year, the year I moved to Lakeview. Families and singles were bustling about, nearly crashing into our group of sixteen and seventeen year olds. Somewhere, I could hear someone sobbing, wailing, and it sent a shiver down my spine. A few tears broke my façade as I heard the noise, and they trickled down my cheek. Their trails left my cheeks feeling hot and raw, as if they were razors cutting curved patterns on my scarred body and not droplets of salty water. The space beneath my chest felt too heavy then, as if my heart was swelling and breaking all at the same time. And the sobbing continued, though it was much softer now as if it were being muffled. For this, I was thankful, until reality washed over me.

It took me awhile to realize that it was I who was crying, and the choked sobs were being muffled by his chest. His left arm was wrapped tight around my waist; his other arm slung over his ribs. My fingers flew up to my mouth as I realized what I was doing, in public nonetheless, and I almost broke free of his grasp. But something stopped me from doing so, and I found myself instead weeping into his chest and gripping his shirt. He in turn held me tighter, his face buried into my hair. The harsh reality was smashing into our faces like bricks.

“Cammy?” his voice was hoarse, in a low murmur only I could hear. Hot air blew into my ear as he spoke. “Cam, don’t do this. Please stop crying.”

But I couldn’t stop, not now and not even for days after.

Because the last thing I ever wanted to say again was goodbye.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's back and better than ever ;)

-Mikayla