Pitch Black Cyn

Chapter 13

Holding the cutting torch in one hand, Cyn used the other to open the door, making sure the light frightened off the nearby predators before slipping outside.

The others followed close on her heels, Jack clutching her tail like it was a lifeline, with Fry and Imam aiming the flashlights around as added security.

Eyes cat-green in the dark, she aimed them towards the main cabin, stopping at the bottom of the dune leading to the entrance.

Riddick stepped forward, pulling up his goggles and going ahead a few yards to check.

“Looks clear.”

Johns shouldered past her, marching up to the entrance first, and Cyn rolled her eyes at his bruised pride.

“MERCS…”

When a predator buzz-sawed over Johns’ head, she dropped down to all fours on instinct, tail-blades out.

There was no need for the defensive maneuver; the creature flew off into the sky, most likely not wanting to test their lights.

“F*** ME! You said it was clear!”

“Said it ‘looks clear’.”

“Well, what’s it look like now?”

Riddick gave it another once-over, unable to hold back a half-smirk.

“Looks clear.”

Even Al couldn’t hold back an amused chuckle as she climbed up towards the main cabin…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stretching out her back as she kept look-out for the sled, Cyn popped out her claws one by one.

It disturbed everyone but Al and Riddick, the pop of bones and the flash of deadly-sharp claws.

Al was used to it after two decades, it was even comforting by now.

“Keep the light going. That’s all we have to do to live through this. Just keep your light burning.” Fry reminded.

Attaching a flashlight to her waist, Cyn looked away from the light to keep her pupils from shrinking.

Riddick looped his flashlight around his neck, making it shine on his back like a beacon, before turning to the group.

“Be running about ten paces ahead. I want light on my back, but not in my eyes…And check your cuts. These things know our blood now.”

Jack tensed at that, and Cyn noticed immediately.

Sharing a look with Al, she motioned slightly towards the child in question.

Nodding, Al turned back to her own flashlight, tying it around her upper arm.

“All the kids stay close to Al.” Cyn ordered.

“I’m taking up the rear.”

No one argued, as if fearing the slightest protest would result in her teeth meeting in their throats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn’t long after that they headed out, the children in the middle with Al and the adults on all sides, guarding against attack.

Ears swiveling around at every shadow, Cyn bared her fangs at the closer monsters in order to frighten them back.

Apparently, news of her deadliness had spread.

Paris was just ahead of her, looking like a skittish mouse in a room full of hungry cats, and Cyn had to fight down the urge to jump him from behind.

He was weak and frightened, the scent exciting the predators surrounding the party into near-thoughtlessness.

‘He’s got to go.’

The man’s light was going out, and Cyn looks towards Al pleadingly, asking for the chance to eat.

Half-shined eyes narrowing, the bat-girl looked over Paris for a moment before shrugging, returning her attention to the children.

Keeping a maniacal grin from her face was harder than she expected…

The clicking from their pursuers grew louder, closer, and Paris fumbled with his alcohol bottle as it began to run low.

‘Perfect…’

Before she could even unsheathe her tail-blades, the man panicked over a shadow that came too close, scrambling in the opposite direction.

He pulled too harshly, and one of the cables caught on Ali’s legs, wrapping around them and yanking the child after Paris into the dark.

Al was always faster then Cyn when it came to reacting; she had her shiv out and flying through the air before Cyn even took a breath.

Roaring to keep the predators away from the child, Cyn grabbed Ali’s arm and pulled him from the trap.

Everyone stared at Al in surprise as she slipped into the dark, coming back with a bloody shiv.

Licking one side clean, Al nearly moaned at the taste and the fear on some of their faces.

“Go get a taste, before they do.”

Cyn grinned, handing the child over to Imam and rushing to do just that.

None of the ’civilians’ could watch, only heard the sounds of her growling and cracking bones.

When Cyn returned, she was licking the last of the blood from her claws.

“What? I thought we had somewhere to be.” She voiced, turning her light back on and urging them on.

Al rolled her eyes, slipping her blood-free shiv back between her breasts.

Now that they knew what Cyn was truly capable of, having her take up the rear spurred the party to go faster subconsciously.

Pleased with the pace, Al’s ears twitched as a massive wave of sonar washed over her.

She could ‘see’ the canyon full of predators, with the settlement beyond, and briefly wondered why Riddick was circling.

‘Because of Jack.’

Looking towards the young runaway, she gave Cyn a look.

The cat-girl took a deep breath through her nose, and then her eyes widened.

‘So she’s on her period.’

It seemed Johns had figured out they were going in circles, and held his shotgun to the back of Riddick’s neck.

A racket went up from the adults as they demanded answers, and Cyn came up to surround the younglings.

“LISTEN.”

Silence fell for a moment, but it was quickly broken by a wave of clicking, too numerous and loud to be from only one predator.

“Canyon ahead. I circled once to buy some time to think.”

“Think about what?” Fry wondered.

“About how to kill us and still get these cells to the skiff. God damn it, we’re just doin’ the heavy lifting for this prick!” Johns ranted.

Riddick ignored him, answering Fry instead.

“About the girl.”

“What about her?” Shazza wondered.

“What it’s gonna be like be like when we hit that canyon. With her bleeding.”

“What’re you jaw-jackin’ about? They’re not cut.” Johns retorted, gesturing to the four adult females.

“No, they’re not.”

Cyn saw the realization hit them all like freight trains, and wrapped an arm around Jack’s shoulders as they turned to the little runaway.

“I didn’t want you to leave me there…back at the ship…that’s why I didn’t say anything…” Jack confessed, clinging to Cyn as she tried to fight down her guilt.

“It’s alright, kid.” The cat-girl assured, giving out a comforting purr.

“We wouldn’t have left you behind, right Al?”

Quirking an eyebrow, Al let out a defeated sigh at Cyn’s Puppy-Dog Eyes…

“Yeah…”

The things Al did for her mate…

“It’s not gonna work. We gotta go back.”

Both looked up at Fry’s confession, ears tuned into the main conversation once more.

“Hey, YOU’RE the one who got me out here, turned me into a goddamn sleddog. An’ now you expect me to go back like a WHIPPED dog?” Johns shouted, turning on her.

“I was wrong. I admit it. My bad, okay? Now let’s just go back to the ship.”

“I dunno. Nice breeze, wide open spaces…You know, I’m startin’ to f***ing enjoy myself out here.”

“Are you f***ing high again? Just listen to-”

“No, no, you’re right, Fry. What’s to be afraid of? My life is a steamin’ pile of meaningless toads hit anyhow. So I say mush on!” Johns growled.

“Canyon’s couple hundred meters, after that we’re in Skiff City! So why don’t you just butch up, stuff a cork in that kid, and get-”

He choked when a hand closed over his throat, lifting the merc clear off the sand.

Cyn’s angry cat-green eyes made the rest of his rant wither away.

“Shut your f***ing mouth before I decide you’re not worth keeping alive.” She growled out, claws itching to sink into the veins pulsing against her palm.

“I am DONE listening to you two fight over what to do. I don’t give a f*** if you’re right or if she’s wrong, I just want you all to be f***ing QUIET!”

When no one spoke or moved to stop her, Cyn dropped the merc carelessly to the ground.

“Let me be REALLY clear, Johns. You so much as TWITCH in the direction of that little girl, and I’ll gut you before you can even blink.”

No one doubted she would. Turning away from the merc before he could even reply, she picked Jack up and settled the runaway onto her back.

Looking towards the others, she managed to rein in her temper and smirked.

“Coming?”

Heading towards the canyon, Cyn fought down the feeling that this wasn’t going to end well at ALL…