Status: finished.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades

SEVEN: Emilie

I watched Tre walk out the door, shocked. Did that just happen? Was that real? Or am I dreaming??

I shook my head, trying to come back to reality. I looked around at the empty room I had been left in. Yes, Emilie, I thought. That just happened. I sat back and stared blankly out the window, tears just starting to come to my eyes. Why did he do that? Why did Tre do that?

Was it because of me?


The door then opened. "Hello?" It was a man's voice. I hoped it wasn't Billie Joe or Mike. I didn't want to talk to them right now.

But, of course, my luck is shit, because it was Billie Joe. I looked away as soon as he came into the room. "Emilie? I just saw Tre walk out. Is everything alright?" he asked.

I didn't answer, nor did I turn my head to even look at Billie Joe. I knew that if I did, the floodgates would open, and I didn't want to pin my problems and insecurities on someone else. Especially someone who knew my now ex-boyfriend so well.

Billie Joe sat down next to me. "Emilie?" he asked quietly. He placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "Can you please look at me?"

I sighed and looked up at him, my red face and red eyes covered with wet streaks left by fresh tears. "Is this what you wanted to see?" I snapped.

Billie Joe sighed and I saw concern mask his face before he pulled me to him in a tight hug. I wrapped my arms around him in return and cried, hard. I wasn't sure how long I had been crying when I felt another person embrace me around my back, sandwiching me between them and Billie Joe. I had a feeling it was Sara. I could hear whispers between her and Billie Joe, but I couldn't make out what they were saying.

My cries subsided after what I assumed was a long time. I finally detached myself from Billie Joe and I looked up. It was Sara who had come to make the other side of the sandwich between Billie Joe and I, and Mike and Christy had also come in, but they were sitting on the other side of the room, holding hands and whispering. I suppose they had been watching Billie Joe and Sara comfort me.

I looked up at Billie Joe; he was smiling softly. I looked over at Sara; she was also smiling softly. I looked over at Mike and Christy and they smiled at me. I looked back at Billie Joe, who was still smiling. "Everything's going to be alright, Emilie," he said, looking me straight in the eye and squeezing my shoulders. "I promise."

For some strange reason, I actually believed him.