Status: Complete!

I Am Reaper

The Deal

“You’re taking this rather…well.” The Reaper watched me closely as if waiting for me to explode at any moment.

I laughed and my voice sounded oddly empty. “How else am I supposed to take it? I’m dead. I’m seventeen, and I’m already dead. And there’s nothing I can do about it.” My voice began to shake, and I suddenly burst into tears.

The Reaper walked up and stood there awkwardly next to me. Sure, I just met the guy. And yeah, of course I didn’t think he would simply hold and soothe me…but I kind of expected a little bit more.

I began to tremble vigorously as a burgundy door materialized in front of us.

I glanced up at him. “I’m not ready.”

A real smile split his face this time. “Well, you don’t have to. You have two choices. You can go to the afterlife and face your judgment, or you can become like me.”

I stared at him. “A reaper?”

“Yeah. There are a few rules you have to follow, but other than that, it’s easy.”

I thought about it for a while and then nodded. “Okay. Yeah. I can do that. What are the rules?”

“The most important thing you need to know is that if they end up on The List, that’s it. No second chances. No deals. No exit clauses. It’s their time. You have to take them, whether you like it or not.”

“What about me? You’re letting me off the hook.”

The Reaper sighed. “It doesn’t work that way. You can’t make everyone into a reaper. Especially not when you’re such a novice yourself.”

“And if I mess up?”

“You don’t!” His eyes narrowed warningly.

“I won’t. I won’t. But, hypothetically,” I peered up under my eyelids curiously, “What happens?”

“Many more people die. People who aren’t suppose to die. So don’t you dare even hesitate.”

I cringed at the force in his voice and fear swarmed over me, “Is that it?”

“No. There’s just one more thing. Being a reaper doesn’t make you alive. You’re still dead. You need to remember that. Do we have a deal?”

I focused on his outstretched hand. Thinking back on my life, I realized that I hadn’t really done anything worthy of heaven. And I was scared that that’s not what was waiting for me on the other side of the door.

I reached out and boldly took his hand. “Deal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. I'll have the next one out as soon as I can. Comment and Subscribe.

<3-----CaSeY