Storm Before The Calm

quinze



As soon as I got out of the car, the cool wind chilled my bones. Although
my family is from Pittsburgh,I have a very low tolerance to the cold. Once it goes below 60 degrees, I start shivering like it's the arctic. When I go to games, the jerseys warm me up, along with the shersey I wear underneath, and the fact that I'm hardly ever stationary. I hugged my jacket tighter to my body as Skinner climbed out of his Tahoe.
“I'm starving, so if we could do this quickly, that would be great.” he whined.

“Have faith, Daniel-san, I know what I'm doing.” I promised. We walked under the covered area and there were tables with vegetables, flowers, and fruits as far as the eye could see.

“This is overwhelming.” he stated. A mom walked by with her child on one of those child leashes. I was about to make fun of it, when Skinner wandered off to look at some tomatoes. I walked to him.

“I'm gonna get you one of those.” I half joked, pointing to the lady. I linked my arm with his, so I wouldn't lose him. He rolled his eyes at me, but I just smiled and began shopping.

In a matter of minutes, I had all the ingredients I needed in plastic bags. Skinner and I sat in the hatch of his car and we watched people as we drank soda from old-fashioned glass bottles and ate candy.
“What is that?” he asked, gesturing towards my Cheerwine.

“Cheerwine.” I replied, taking a sip. I looked back at him and he had a confused expressions. “Please, dear god, tell me you have had Cheerwine before.”

“...no...?”

“OH MY GOD!” I yelled, drawing attention, to which, Skinner ducked his head, either so he didn't get recognized or out of embarrassment. I shoved my bottle in his mouth and he took a forced sip. “You don't know what ELO is, you've never had Cheerwine... where the hell did you grow up?” He swallowed.

“Canada. I was too busy wrestling moose in maple syrup while simultaneously eating poutine and playing hockey.” he replied.

“So... survey says?” I asked, wondering what he thought of the drink.

“That was pretty much the most delicious drink I've ever had.” He reached over and stole my bottle.

“Hey!” I squealed, trying to wrestle him for it.

“Is that Jeff Skinner?” I heard a pre-teen voice shriek. We looked to see a girl, much like the one I sold skates to, standing there. She reached in her pocket, for what was assuming was a camera, so we leaped into action.

“Oop. Time to go.” I stole my drink back and ran to my car, hopping inside. Skinner quickly got in his and we drove off, tired squealing.

On our way back to my house, Skinner stopped following me, and
instead led the way. When he pulledin front of me, I immediately started laughing hysterically. He knew where he was going, but that wasn't what was funny. When he got in front of me, he turned on his left signal, to cut into my lane, even though I was on his right. He continued to use the opposite signals for a while. I called him on my phone, in tears.

“Sk-skinner! Stop! I'm about- about to pee my pants!” I threatened, in between squeals. He laughed.

“It's not even that funny!” he replied.

“Oh my god, I know! But I can't stop laughing!” I choked, through tears. “Ooooow! My abs!!”

“Olive, stop! I'm crying too, now.” he admitted, flipping me off from his rear-view mirror. I returned the favor and we continued this, all the way back to my house.

When we pulled into the driveway, we had composed ourselves, but as
soon as we got out of our cars and saw each other's faces, we started to laugh again. Skinner and I, still laughing, wiped away tears and carried the things back into my house. As soon as I stepped in the house, I started to make lunch. My dad emerged from the back porch, wearing a short sleeve shirt. My dad must have a furnace inside of him. I never could understand how he was never cold. My mom followed, in a fleece zip-up, and Ashton trailed behind her, barking at the people who just came in.
“Hello, sweetie! It's just us.” I smiled, crouching down so she could lick my face. I stood up, and got the ingredients for a marinade together.

“Need any help, Olive?” my mom asked, snagging a piece of candy from my bag.

“Nope! I think I'm good.” I promised, making a marinade for the chicken.

“Jeff, I was going to take Ashton on a walk. Care to join me?” my dad asked. I dropped the chicken in the plastic bag and looked up at them. It was a question that really only had one answer. Skinner looked at me. I looked at him, then at my dad. Then at my mom. She nodded her head. I guess she talked him out of the protective father talk. I winked at Skinner, letting him know that it was safe. Skinner agreed and in a matter of seconds, Ashton was leashed up and they were out the door. My pocked vibrated, so I pulled out my phone.

If Im unable to play in the asg because of this 'walk' Ill sue

I giggled and texted back.

You'll have no proof, Jeffrey. (;

His response was a sarcastic (hopefully) :

I hate you Olivia (;

I walked outside to the grill with the chicken, and laughed. I wonder what my dad and he were talking about.



The first couple of minutes were silent. They weren't awkward, just a
little nerve-wracking, for me. I was afraid of “the speech” that her dad would give me. Ashton stopped to pee and I adjusted my hat.
“So.... you gonna kick Team Lidstrom's ass?” he said, after some hesitation. He smiled at me.

“I hope so, sir.” I replied.

“Fleury comes out a lot. He's my guy, but sometimes he just comes out too damn far. You should be able to sink at least one against the guy.” Rick advised. I nodded.

“I'll keep that I mind. I'm just glad that I don't have to play against Cam or Eric.” I admitted, with a chuckle. He laughed as well, which was a little comforting.

“All jokes aside, you hurt my daughter, I pity you. I know people who could end your career and make it look like an accident.” he said, in a very threatening tone. I was about to laugh, but the serious look on his face tole me that he wasn't kidding. He slung an arm around my shoulder. “But don't make me do that, because you're the best Hurricane.” He pushed my hat down and chuckled, pulling away. As we continued our walk, I couldn't help but thinking of Olive. I wasn't planning on hurting her, even though she had already hurt me. I just couldn't picture living without her.



I stared blankly at the salad dressing, completely immersed in my
own thoughts. Everything was ready, I just needed to set the table. I turned around to get plates and I caught my mom hardcore staring at me. I posed like a Playmate.
“You like what you see?” I joked. She playfully slapped my arm.

“No... not that you have a bad body... so...yes... but no, that's not what I meant... I-”

“Mom, you're doing that awkward thing when you worry that I may be insecure. Which I'm not. I mean, I am a total babe.” I replied sarcastically, biting my finger seductively, which resulted in another slap from my mom. “Something's wrong.”

“I'm worried about you.”she said, moving away from the drawer so I could get silverware and plates. She grabbed from napkins and folded them as we talked.

“Why? I'm fine.” I promised. I'm just in love with someone who doesn't love me back. No big deal.

“Are you sure?” she asked. I toyed with the thought of telling her. “You seem a little different.”

“Well, I-” I began, but the garage door opened and my dad, Skinner, and Ashton entered the kitchen. “I'm perfectly fine.” I'd like to believe that if Skinner and my dad hadn't shown up and if Ashton wasn't begging for water, I might have told her what was really wrong. But then again, I don't think it would have been wise. My mom would try and make everything okay, like mom's do.

“Smells good! What do we have here?” my dad said, creeping up to the food. “Mmm. Sunshine chicken and The Amazing Salad.” He started to make a plate as my mom got everyone drinks.

“How was the walk?” I asked Skinner, who's cheeks were rosy from the chilled air.

“Not that bad.” he replied, taking off his hat. “I'm starved, but ladies first.”

“Did you hear that, Rick? 'Ladies first'!” my mom said, amazed at his manners. Skinner broke out into a blush and my dad, who's mouth was full of chicken, stretched into a smile, that he tried to hide from us. Well, I guess my parents like him. I just have to get him to like me.
♠ ♠ ♠
I can't even begin to say "I'm sorry" enough for not updating.