Storm Before The Calm

deux

“Size 3 and Size 12, in children!” a mom yelled, throwing money and shoes at the teenagers behind the stand. Olive handed Allyson skates, shoving the shoes in the cubbies, and she turned to see the crowd of people around the small stand. There was a pack of people and the ice was covered in skaters. It was only four o'clock. Olive sped to get to the stand right after school, as per request of their boss. They had been working our asses off since they stepped in the booth.

“Why the fuck do they still want to skate? There is literally no room on the goddamn ice.” Allyson yelled, loud enough for children to hear. Allyson tends to curse a lot when she's frustrated or annoyed. This was one of those times. Mike laughed and Olive shrugged.

“I'm sorry guys! The ice is too full! Please cruise around the NHL All-Star Wide Open or enjoy the Fan Fair. We will be prepared to accommodate you all once the ice clears out a bit.” Allyson yelled, setting our 'closed sign' on the skate stand. Mike laughed and Olive stretched, leaning against the counter. They watched as the crowd disappeared, bitching and moaning. Olive didn’tt understand why they would want to be skating. Her ass would be in the Fan Fair, meeting players, trying skills tests, and looking at memorabilia. Olive adjusted her hoodie and looked at her watch, seeing she had over six hours left of her shift.

“I'm gonna grab a coffee. You guys want one?” she asked, needing a pick-me-up.

“Yes please.” Mike said desperately, taking out his wallet and handing her a five dollar bill.

“No. I came prepared.” Allyson said, snapping open a Red Bull. Olive chuckled and exited the door of the stand. She pushed through some people to get to the lovely Starbucks that was conveniently right across the street from her place of employment.

/ / /

“Thank you.” Olive said, as the Starbucks barista handed her the two coffees she had ordered. She put the grips on the two hot cups.

“Olive. There you are.” a voice said. The blonde turned to see her boss, coming at her. She straightened her stance, running a hand through her hair, trying to make herself look more presentable. Olive’s boss, Richard, was a scruffy, outdoorsy guy who worked with the RBC Center, Downtown Raleigh, and was helping to make sure this weekend ran smoothly. He knew that she was going to go to school for sports medicine and he has been looking for internships and to help her gain more exposure to professional sports.

“Hey Richard.” she greeted.

“I need your help. The Fan Fair is getting a little out of hand. I don't know if you know, but Jeff Skinner is supposed to be signing autographs and we need someone to help move things along. I thought you would be the perfect person for the job.” Olive’s arms littered with goosebumps and her mouth went dry.

“M-me?” she trembled, shocked. Jeff Skinner, her favorite player of the season, needs her help. Well, maybe not her specifically, but she felt special nonetheless.

“Yes, you, Olivia Dean.” he explained, emphasizing her name. Her perfect white teeth showed as a smile crept on her face.

“I'd love to.” she said. “Let me just drop this coffee off with Mike and I'll meet you right back here, alright?” He nodded, taking a seat on one of the chairs in the shop.

She darted across the street, nearly tripping over her feet and pummeling into children.
“MikeAllyMikeAllyMikeAllyMikeAlly!” she repeated loudly, so they would hear. They looked at her like she was crazy. She handed Mike his coffee and caught her breath. It was a little hard to breathe, not because she had just run across a street, but because she was going to be in the same room as my favorite player. Not to mention, her job picked her out of hundreds of other workers. Allyson cocked an eyebrow and Mike took the lid off his steaming coffee.

“What in the world...?” Allyson asked.

“Okay. Richard definitely just asked me to help him with the Fan Fair.” she replied.

“Oh my God! No way.” Allyson said. Olive nodded and Mike gasped.

“You lucky bitch.” he responded. Olive giggled like a little school-girl, not believing it herself.

“What do you have to do?” Allyson asked.

“Nothing big. You know...” she trailed off for effect. “I just have to control the Jeff Skinner signing!” Allyson shrieked in excitement, grabbing her friend and jumping up and down.

“I seriously hate you right now.” Mike concluded. Olive scrunched up my nose and hit him in the arm. “I'm just kidding. But seriously. You are a lucky bitch.”

“Well, Richard is waiting for me back in Starbucks. I really hate to leave you guys with these insane people, but I really want to go to the Fan Fair.”

“Don't worry about it. We would do the same thing.” Mike promised. Allyson nodded.

“Alright. Well, Allyson, keep the cursing to a minimum when there are children around. And Mike, make sure Allyson doesn't slice anyone with a skate.” Olive warned. They nodded.

“Yes ma'am.” they both chanted. Olive made her way to the crosswalk and she heard Allyson and Mike simultaneously call her name. She turned around to see them.

“Stay gold, Ponyboy.” Mike yelled, saluting her. She waved back, laughing.

“Get me a signature, whore!” Allyson screamed. Olive heard a nearby mother gasp at her outburst and she couldn’t help but laugh.

/ / /

“Alright. Here's your pass and your walkie-talkie.” Richard said, handing his worker a pass with the All-Star logo and an official barcode on it. It had her name on the back and it was attached to a lanyard that Olive slipped over her neck. She clipped the walkie-talkie on her pants and gave him a thumbs-up. They were standing in front of the crosswalk in front of the Convention Center. “Alright. Follow all the signs when you get inside and just show them your pass. You should be able to find where Skinner's stand is when you get in there. All the teenage girls should be standing in a line. That kid's like Justin Bieber, I swear.” Olive mentally rolled my eyes, but she kept a smile on the outside. She hated when people compared him to Bieber.

“Thank you so much again, Richard.” she thanked for about the millionth time.

“Really, Olivia. I should be thanking you. You're saving my ass.” he said.

“Well, I should get going. I'm sure the crowd's going wild.” she replied. He nodded, laughed, and they shook hands. Olive turned to face the Convention Center and her heart pounded in her ears. This is probably the greatest day of my life, she thought to herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
2 / 4 / 12 - EDIT : Changing the point of view.