Storm Before The Calm

six



Staal and Lidstrom walked to the ESPN reporter to see who would chose first.
“We will flip the puck to see who gets first choice.” the ESPN reporter said. “Team Lidstrom gets the choice of side. NHL logo or All-Star?”

“All-Star.” Lidstrom chose. He flipped it, catching it on his arm.

“It is NHL.” he stated. Lidstrom shrugged and the audience burst into applause, happy that our home captain got first choice.

“So Nick, you can start conferring about your second pick. Team Staal will have the first overall pick in this draft.” Staal and Lidstrom walked to their respectful stands with their alternate captains. The audience sat and we readied for Eric's decision. I wanted him to chose Skinner first, not going to lie. My eyes watched Staal's face and he chatted with Kessler a bit. Green looked a little awkward, off to the left of Eric. Ally mumbled something under her breath about how Mike doesn't deserve to get texted updates as she clacked away on her phone. Staal leaned down, resting his arms on the table.

“Um... First off, I just want to thank all the fans, obviously here, its gonna be an exciting weekend.” he said, giving a thumbs up. The audience roared with applause and everyone cheered, so excited. “Um, and all the guys, all the players, obviously the first time for everybody. This is kind of a unique thing but, it'll be fun. Ah... So with the first pick in the, uh, NHL Fantasy Draft, I'm gonna take my boy, Cam Ward.” He pointed to him and the audience cheered. Cam Ward walked from his seat to the center of the stage area where he was given a Team Staal jersey.

“Well, you had said he's you're buddy, he better pick me. So, was this the threat that came through?” the ESPN reporter asked Cam. Why do they always ask the stupidest questions?
“Yeah, I guess so. I guess I was just the best players available, I guess.” he joked. Everyone laughed and I smiled at him. I met Cam Ward once when I thirteen and he was really sweet. I used to have a huge crush on him and I still kind of do. I can't help it, he was so nice and his dimples just added to his sweetness. “I mean, I guess, uh, being a teammate of his, doesn't play a part at all, I guess.” The stupid ESPN guy spoke more and Cam went to sit down on the red half of the chosen chairs, and it was Lidstrom's choice. Kaner, Lidstrom, and St. Louis chatted until they made a decision.

“Well, our first pick in the NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft is Steven Stamkos.” Lidstrom announced. Stammer stood, walking over to Lidstrom, where he was handed his jersey. He sat in the blue half. I pulled my phone out and texted Skinner.

I hope you don't get picked last.

My phone vibrated and I checked it.

I hope I do. Free car! (: I chuckled and rolled my eyes, looking to Team Staal, whose choice it was.

“Oh my God.” Allyson said, when Mike Green walked up to the microphone. She whistled, loudly, I might add. I'm so angry at my mom for teaching her how to do that.

“Alright, we, uh, we're gonna go with, uh, Alexander Ovechkin from the Washington Capitals.” he said. I cringed and watched as he walked up. When I looked at him, his hair was chopped awfully. It looked like his epileptic niece tried to cut his hair or something. I lost my mind, laughing so hard. Allyson hit me. She was a Washington fan, actually, which is where I sometimes have issues with her. I used to downright hate the team. Like, no toleration at all. Everytime you said the words “Washington Capitals” or “Ovechkin”, I used to start arguing and get pissed off. However, recently, I've found some respect for the team. I'll never like them, but I don't hate them as much now. I can tolerate them and respect some of their players, but I don't like them, as a whole. I especially hate Steckel, for decking Crosby and leaving him out of the All-Star weekend. But then again, if Crosby and Malkin were in, then Skinner wouldn't be included for his first All-Star game. I watched as Alex walked over, got the jersey and sat down next to Ward. Patrick Kane walked up the microphone. I'm not a Blackhawks fan and I don't want to be a bandwagon rider because they won the Cup, but I do watch their game from time to time. Patrick Kane is one of my favorite players the past two seasons, mainly because of his speech at the Chicago parade after they won the Cup.
“Alright, with, uh, our next pick, I'm gonna take my boy, the Norris trophy winner, Duncan Keith.”

There was a cute argument between Eric and Marc Staal about him not being chosen first, which Eric played on, prompting it like he would chose Marc from the Rangers but then chose Lunqdvist. The next choice, though, he chose Marc. Every choice that one of the teams had, there were a couple Canes fans that would scream, “SKINNER”, wanting him to get chosen. After the 10th round, Team Staal had Cam Ward, Alex Ovechkin, Daniel Dein, Zdeno Chara, Rich Nash, Henrik Lundqvist, Marc Staal, Patrick Sharp, Dan Boyle, and Carey Price. Team Lidstrom had Steven Stamkos, Duncan Keith, Henrik Sedin, Shea Weber, Tim Thomas, Danny Briere, Dustin Byfuglien, Jonathan Toews, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Jonas Hiller. After a short interview with David Backes, it was Team Staal's choice.

“It would be weird not having him sit beside me, so we're gonna go with, from the Carolina Hurricanes, Jeff Skinner.” Eric announced. I screamed louder than half of the crowd, I think, which was saying something because the audience was loud enough to burst your ear drums. The audience roared with noises. Yelling, clapping, screaming, you name it. Skinner was grinning like his life depended on it. He got up, shaking Eric's hand. He took off his suit jacket, putting on his jersey. He looked so happy as he sat down next to Carey Price. I waved at him, trying to catch his attention. He saw me, waving back. I pointed to my jersey and flipped him off. He laughed and winked at me. Thank god Allyson was too busy staring at Mike Green to notice, otherwise, she would have flipped out. I felt my phone buzz and he looked at it.

No car for me I guess ):

I texted back.

How about you buy your own, you cheap bum.

Just for that youre not going to the afterparty

I looked up at him. He crossed his arms, putting on pouty lips. I'm not a crazy alcoholic druggie party freak, but if you know me, I can't pass up a party. Not to mention, partying with NHL players is not something you can do everyday.

What after party?

Most of the guys if not all of them are going to Solice Im gonna have to sneak in

Oooh. Living life on the edge, are we, Mr. Skinner? That means I would have to, as well.

You look old enough Ill see if Eric will take you
I looked at Eric Staal and he was laughing with Kessler. There was no way that I wanted to bother him. He would probably look at it as baby-sitting.

No! I swear, if you keep doing favors for me, I'll have to hurt you. I'm not going.

Too late I already texted him

Jeffrey Skinner, I hate your guts.

I looked up at him and he winked at me again.

After the Draft was over, Phil Kessel was chosen last. I can say that I did laugh when Ovechkin was taking a picture of him.

My phone buzzed and I smiled, expecting it to be Skinner. I looked down to see it was my dad.

how iswrk

I laughed at his inability to text properly. I took a picture of the teams, not even having to say a word.

u hve some xplanin to do :o) he mocked Ricky Ricardo. I texted him back.

I'll call you as soon as possible. I may be staying the night at Allyson's.

I hate lying to my parents, but there is no way that they would let me go to a club.

k

My phone vibrated again and I looked down at it. It was from Skinner.

When everyone leaves, tell the security guard next to you your name

Okay.

When most of the people cleared out, I explained to Allyson all the information I had. She was convinced that Skinner “totally wanted me”. I assured her that was stupid.

"Go ahead. Talk to him." she said, pointing to the security guard next to us.

“Excuse me,” I said, catching the security guard's attention. “I'm supposed to tell you that my name is Olive Dean.” The man in the red security shirt turned to me.

“Oh. Hello. Follow me.” he commanded, nodding his head in the direction of the entrance that the players exited in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments, guys. :)