Storm Before The Calm

huit



“Hey guys! I'm going!” I yelled to my parents as I skid across the floor in my socks. I was wearing my pajamas and a sweatshirt, with my hood on. I had my Penguins gym bag full of clothes and makeup. I slung my purse over my shoulder and ran out of the door before they could ask questions. I hopped in the car and pulled out, driving down the road to my destination. I wasn't sure what to expect and my stomach growled, out of nervousness. I thought it would be best if I got something to eat, so I stopped at Cook-Out and ordered a burger, fries, and a Coke. I pulled into a parking spot and ate as fast as I could. I was starving and I ate like I had never eaten before. Once I finished, I shed my pajamas and took off my sweatshirt, taking out the curlers that my hood was covering after spraying them with hairspray. I pulled on my dress and jacket, darkening my make-up. I took off my long tube socks and replaced them with my heels. As I put on my lipstick, I had to admit that I looked at least twenty one. I glanced at Eric's directions, popped some gum in my mouth, and went on my way, blaring music as I peeled out of the lot.

“Hey Olive!” Eric said, after I rang his doorbell. He ushered me in and my eyes scanned the huge, perfectly decorated house. One day, I hope to be like Eric and Tanya Staal. They are the sweetest people and Parker is too cute for words. “Tanya! Are you almost ready?” he yelled up the stairs.

“Don't rush me, Eric!” she yelled down. He chuckled as she emerged from a room, putting earrings in. She walked downstairs and pecked him on the cheek. I saw the love in their eyes and it was something that I wanted for in my life.

“Hi, I'm Tanya. Staal's loving, caring, and patient wife.” she said, shaking my hand and making eye contact with him when she said patient. Eric and I both laughed as Tanya poked her head into another room.

“Jessica, you sure you're okay watching Parker?” she asked, I'm assuming the baby-sitter.

“Yes ma'am, Miss Staal.” she replied.

“Just call me if you need me.” Tanya said, nodding at her. “Goodbye!” Eric held Tanya's jacket out like a true gentleman and she slipped into it, grabbing her clutch. Mama Staal taught her boys well.

“This was a bad idea.” I trailed off, wringing my hands after we parked. I knew that my key was to be confident. I'm sure I was gonna have fun, but if I got caught underage drinking, I would get in serious trouble. Eric looked at me, from his spot in the driver's seat.

“Olive, you are fine. They won't know.” he promised, looking into my eyes. His honest brown eyes made me feel like everything was going to be alright. So, I believed him. “Okay?”

“Yeah.” I agreed. “Yeah, okay. Let's go.” I opened the door to his Hummer and slowly lowered myself to the ground, not wanting to break the heels I was wearing. I pulled my dress down, making sure it was still covering my butt. I linked my arm in Eric's and Tanya attached herself to his other arm. I'm sure he looked like a total pimp.

“You look killer, Olive.” she admitted, winking at me. We had really clicked in the car. She had a very likable personality. Eric really scored a winner. “I'm sure Skinner will be all over you.” My cheeks lit with a blush. What was I so embarrassed about? Skinner and I are just friends.

“I-I-” I began to speak, but I was cut off. Not only did I not know what to say, but we had made our way up to the bouncer. I had texted Ally before we left and she said that Mike gladly accepted her proposition for him to be her escort. She also promised to fill me in once we got there. The bouncer in front of me was a large, tall bald man in a black shirt. I had my license with me, but I was praying he didn't ask for it so I wouldn't have to put “x”s on my hands. Eric told him his name and I did my best to look twenty-one. The bouncer looked at Staal, then Tanya, then me. His eyes lingered on me for a while. Shit shit shit shit shi-

“Go ahead in.” he said, sticking his thumb in the direction of the club.

“Okay. I'm not your dad, so I don't mind if you drink, but I am a father, so I want to make sure you don't make a fool of yourself.” Eric said, looking down at me. His brown eyes meant that he meant business. I was going to drink, but I wasn't gonna go crazy.

“You got it, Sergeant Staal.” I said, saluting him. He laughed and Tanya did too. We entered the smoky, hot, sweaty hell-hole and we made our way over to the VIP section. Eric told them our name and we squeezed in. I noticed that the always classy Ovechkin had a table secluded in the corner, where he was surrounded by cheap looking girls and Mike Green, who had Allyson sitting on his lap. She waved at me and I waved back, grinning. She clacked on her phone and I looked down when I felt my clutch vibrating. I opened it, taking out my phone.

We need to have a chat to fill each other in. We'll go in the bathroom later.

I texted back, chuckling.

You best believe it. Remember, you are 17.

Yeah, yeah. Whatever. (;

“Hey Olive.” Staal said, grinning a mischievous grin. Tanya chuckled with him.

“There's your boy.” she said, nodding over to a table in the opposite corner of Ovechkin. I saw Skinner sitting with Jamie McBain, Taylor Hall, and PK Subban. Skinner was smiling with a beer in his hand and in the dimly lit club, I have to admit, he looked good. He was wearing a dark blue dress shirt with the top two buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had on a large watch that made his developing muscles look larger than usual. I made my way over to him and I saw him notice me as I was halfway over to him. So did Subban, who uttered out a, “Daaaaaamn.” I smiled at Skinner as I stopped in front of him. He drunk in my look, but not quite as hard as everyone else seemed to be looking.

“Hey.” I greeted, eying him up and down. I couldn't help it. He just looked so handsome.

“Hey.” he replied.

“I'm PK Subban.” he greeted, shoving his hand to the middle of the circle that we were standing in. I took it, smiling and shaking it firmly, yet daintily.

“Olivia Dean. But everyone calls me Olive.” I said. He bit his lip at me and raised his eyebrows. I drew my hand back, somehow getting out of his grasp.

"I'm Taylor Hall." the blonde boy said, smiling at me.

"Jamie McBain." the Cane introduced, although I had already met him before after a game. I didn't expect him to remember though. I had met a lot of the team before, including Cam.

“I'm gonna go get a drink.” I announced. I went over to the bar, ordering a Captain and Cola. Before I could put a twenty dollar bill on the counter, Skinner slipped his credit card under the bartender's hand. I frowned at him, taking my glass, and putting my clutch under my arm.

“You're going to have to stop that. I'll fight you.” I warned. He laughed, putting his arm around me. As we walked back towards the guys, I really soaked in the group of people in the VIP area. Of course, my eyes settled on Chara first. You could see that bastard a mile away. He was chatting with Tim Thomas and their wives looked like they couldn't get wine fast enough. Close-by, Cam held a red wine in one hand and his wife's arm in the other as they talked with Eric and Tanya. Marc Staal and his wife were making their way over to them, followed by Henrik Lundqvist and a lucky lady. Dustin Byfuglien was talking with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, until a blonde walked by them that they all stared at. They did rock, paper, scissors, and Kane won, so he chased after the girl. Big Buff and Tazer continued the conversation like nothing had happened. There were other people scattered around, but we had already approached the couches before I could really appreciate everyone. We sat down on a couch with Subban, McBain, and Taylor Hall.

“So, you're Olive, right?” Taylor said. I watched his big, swollen lips speak to me.

“Yeah.” I replied, taking a sip.

“That's a cool name.” he replied. “I hate mine.”

“Why?” I laughed. I don't know why I found it so odd that he thought that. Something in me really thought that NHL players were superheros that were perfect and completely satisfied with their life or something. I've met so many over the span of two days that you would think that it wouldn't affect me anymore. I never fail to amaze myself.

“Its so boring! Have you heard the names of the rest of the guys? Henrik Lundqvist? Anze Kopitar? And then there's just, Taylor Hall.” he replied, shrugging and sipping some beer.
“Don't forget PK Subban.” Subban said, posing at us, like he was a celebrity. Sure, he was, but he was a lot cockier than I like. I mean, there is a line where you can cross. I like confident guys. Maybe even a little cocky. But I don't like the ones that think they are the coolest thing to walk planet Earth, which Subban pretty much believed.

“Sure. Your name's cool too... I guess.” Taylor said, shrugging. Subban lightly slugged him in the arm and they laughed. I shrugged off my jacket and adjusted my dress, making sure my boobs were covered. When I looked up, I noticed all the boys at the table's eyes on my boobs. I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked an eyebrow, clearing my throat. They all looked to different directions and I took a sip of my drink.

“So, Olive. How old are you?” McBain asked. I choked on the liquid as I was swallowing. Skinner patted my back as the rum burned my throat. I took his beer in my hand and chased it down. Once I was done almost dying, I cleared my throat and fanned myself.

“She's eighteen.” Skinner answered for me, in a low voice. He pressed a finger to his lips and McBain nodded, “locking” his lips and throwing away the key.

We chatted for a bit and when there was a moment of silence, I let my eyes wander around and they rested on Letang. He was seated on a couch, completely surrounded by girls. They all pulled and pleaded at him, no doubt wanting to touch his hair. He caught my gaze and looked at me with terrified eyes.
“You want to dance?” I mouthed to him. He practically sprung off the couch and I turned to the couches of rookies around me.

“Hey. I'm gonna go dance with Letang.” I announced, standing and adjusting my dress.

“Save me a dance, girl.” Subban commanded. I winked at him, nodding. Letang approached and he gave a half-smile to the guys as he took me away to where everyone was dancing.

Letang was a good dancer. He kept the beat well and we suited each other properly. I was having fun until the girl that Patrick Kane was dancing with's ass brushed against mine. Letang and Kane noticed this “encounter” and burst out laughing. Kaner's pie-eyes focused on my face. He snapped his fingers once he recognized me. Kane is one of my favorite players in the League, so it made me feel really special for him to remember me.

“Hey! You're skate stand girl!” he screamed over the music. I nodded, smiling. I saw Letang eye up the girl that Kane was with. She was looking at him too, probably judging how much his outfit was worth. I smell a puckslut! She had bleached blonde hair and her roots were beginning to show. Her eyes were covered in an awful sparkly shadow, with eyeliner and mascara to top of the cheap look. I thought that Letang wanted her, until he took my hand and spun me around, so we didn't have to talk to them. He ushered me through the crowd, further into the sea of people. The house music was loud in our ears and I was beginning to sweat a little. The bodies all moved in time, except for the few who were too drunk to control themselves. We danced for a bit until Marc-Andre and his girlfriend walked up.

“Oh! Hello, Olive! Tanger!” he beamed, grinning. He was always happy.

“Hey Marc-Andre!” I replied as he grabbed me, wrapping his arms around me. His gilrfriend laughed, putting a hand on his shoulder. He let me go.

“I'm Veronique, Marc-Andre's girlfriend.” she introduced, smiling at me.

“I'm Olive. Skinner's friend.” I said, keeping it short and sweet. I felt a hand on my arm and I turned to see Ally, standing there. She mouthed “bathroom?” and I nodded. I got on my tiptoes and spoke in Letang's ear.

“I'm going to the bathroom. I'll try to find you later, yeah?” I said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. Just as I was about to ask myself why I did that, Ally had my hand and was snaking me through the crowd.
♠ ♠ ♠
SORRY FOR THE DELAY GUYS.

It was show week for the musical two weeks ago and I was helping out with that. And last week I was really uninspired. Luckily, my mom went clubbing at a club for her friend's fortieth birthday, so I have something to really base this off of. Which is good, because I've never been clubbing before. Haha.

Hope this wasn't too bad. Comments are amazing, by the way. And I'm always up for criticism. Don't feel like you're gonna hurt my feelings. Anything you say can only help me become a better writer.