Status: It's been a while.

Nothing but Trouble

Sanctuary

I ran my finger slowly along the top of Violet's window pane, collecting a thin film of dust on my fingertip. I should be used to seeing this room change so many times after fifteen years, yet it still felt strange. All I could remember was my time here. This room had once been my everything, a sanctuary for me and Tate. God, my parents fucking hated Tate. I could still hear my mother's voice warning me how "dangerous" he was. I hated thinking about it sometimes, how she was right and I was just too stubborn and rebellious to even listen to her.

Wiping the dust onto my jeans, I made my way to Violet's bookshelf. Above she had several insects in glass cases, hanging on the wall like pictures. I smiled, eyeing the tarantula. Teagan would have shit a brick, that little twerp hated spiders. My little Teagan, he was only eight when I died. I should have been a better big sister, he looked up to me and I couldn't be there for him as he grew up. Not that I'd paid him that much attention when I was alive. To make matters worse, it had been Teagan that had found my body.

"Well, if this doesn't bring back memories." I folded my arms across my chest, wiping the stray tear from my cheek as Tate walked in. I turned away from him, too late in fighting to regain my composure. "Ri, what's wrong?" His mood changed instantly as he noticed I'd been crying. I hated him, I hated him so much I couldn't stand it and yet I let him pull me into his embrace. I let him stroke my hair as I cried into his shoulder, trying to soothe me with a gentle 'shh'.

"I hate you." I sobbed into his shoulder. I wanted him dead again, I wanted to kill him just so he could come back and I could do it again and again. And then right when I couldn't stand to kill him anymore, I wanted him to hold me just as he was now, and tell me that somehow, things would get better. Even if I knew they never would.

"I know, Ri." Tate whispered, pressing his cheek into the top of my head. "I know."

"What the fuck are you guys doing in my room?" I pulled away from Tate, wiping my face onto my arm warmers. Violet Harmon stood in the doorway eyeing Tate and I violently. I loved that about her, she was much more brave than I ever was when I was alive. "Tate?" I bit my tongue, looking up at him as Violet spoke his name. Clearly, he'd been busy.

"Hey, Violet, sorry." Violet's expression softened a bit and my heart dropped. She was falling under his spell, Tate was getting to her and she'd barely even met him. It was his way of spiting me. I wanted Violet to leave, to be safe and hopefully live a long and full life, so, in turn, Tate was going to try and keep her here.

"Who's she? Why are you guys here?" Her voice was suspicious, as though she was almost jealous that Tate was hugging me. I didn't even know what to say, I hadn't planned on Tate being here when I introduced myself.

"This is my sister, Riley." I let him lie. I had nothing better and lying for Tate was as easy as breathing. I shrugged, folding my arms across my stomach. "She came with me for a session and I wanted to introduce you, only you weren't here." He flashed her that smile and I felt sick as she smiled back, believing every word that spilled from his lips.

"Why were you crying?" Well, at least she was perceptive. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to explain Tate was a psychopath and her and her family should leave. I opened my mouth to fabric some sort of lie, when Tate interrupted.

"Boyfriend problems." Ironic, coming from the only boyfriend I'd ever had. I eyed Tate, remembering how he'd tricked me to the window before shoving a blade into my back. The last images I had from my life were of him crying pathetically as he sobbed his apologies while I died in his arms.

"Yeah," I finally spoke, "the fucker stabbed me in the back." Tate's face hardened at my words.

"Damn." Violet sighed, walking past us to toss her bag onto her bed. "Sorry." She added, standing at the foot of her bed with her arms crossed. Tate's gaze hadn't shifted since I'd spoken.

"Yeah." I acted as though I was upset at the thought, when really I was rejoicing at the fact I'd finally gotten to Tate. "It was nice to meet you Violet, sorry I'm shit right now." I shrugged, wiping at my swollen eyes.

"Yeah, you too." She replied sympathetically.

"We should go." I started for the door, stopping as I noticed Tate wasn't following me. "Tate?" His back was towards Violet so she couldn't see the devious grin he finally gave me.

"Actually, I'm gonna stay here for a bit." He was getting back at me for my comment. Tate didn't let things go so easily, but I didn't back down so easily.

"Mom wants us home to help her paint the dining room." I quickly lied, only Tate continued smiling.

"Well, tell mom to fuck off." He stated matter-of-factly through his smile. I clenched my teeth, Violet gave an awkward smile behind him. I wanted to tell him to go away, but I couldn't let Violet see him vanish. He'd won, again, but it wasn't over. Violet knew about me, and the playing field had been evened.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy shit, I updated. I just want to thank you all for everything. You guys keep me writing and well, I love you. Here's some adorable Tate,
Image