Status: On-hold until I finish Tainted and Skipping Heartbeats.

So Contagious

six.

I arrived exactly seventeen minutes late to our date. In my mind, I spat the word out like poison. He was sitting down at a table looking around nervously. I groaned inwardly, part of me hoped he was just messing around with me and didn’t show up.

He glanced in my direction, and smiled before he looked me up and down. When I reached the table, he spoke, “You could have dressed up a bit.”

Annoyance flared through me and I glared at him through my bangs. “Sorry, I didn’t know I was supposed to,” I snapped.

“Meh, it’s fine. You’ll do for now,” he said while glancing around the arcade.

I stood staring at him in shock. “No wonder she broke up with you.”

“What?” he seemed angered.

“You’re a complete jerk! You don’t say things like that to girls!”

“Well, then how am I supposed to talk to girls?”

He grinned at me which made my temper crawl its way out, “How 'bout you just comment on her nicely. Like ‘Hey you look beautiful today’ or even ‘looking good’.”

He stared at me, “Why would I say that when you look exactly the way you do in school?”

We stared at each other for a few seconds until I turned away. I started walking towards the front door when I saw Vanessa with a few of her friends floating towards Daniels table unknowingly.

“Daniel?” Vanessa questioned making me stop by the door and stare outside.

I couldn’t hear every word over the machines sounds that spiraled in my head. “Yeah, I’m here with Marie. We were just leaving actually.”

I could feel eyes staring at me. Turning my head to the side, I glanced at Daniel walking up to me. Daniel tugged my arm out the door and I made eye contact with Vanessa for a brief moment. What I saw in her eyes and across her face, confused me.