Status: On-hold until I finish Tainted and Skipping Heartbeats.

So Contagious

nine.

I held the box closer to my chest as I entered the building. Yips and meows were heard around the shop making my heart drop and sadness overwhelm me. Walking up to the front desk, I set the box down on it and kept one hand on it at a time. “May I help you?” the woman was snappy and seemed very irritable.

I fidgeted with my feet, “I found a kitten yesterday.”

Slowly opening my box, I pulled the kitten out and heard the woman sigh in pleasure, “Kittens are always the cutest and easiest to sell alongside puppies,” the woman told me to follow her into the back.

Doing what the woman asked, I placed the kitten back in the box and carried it into the back room with the woman. Once we were in the back, she told me to place the cat in the empty cage where it could be checked for diseases and get a check up the next day.

“Why didn’t you just keep him?”

I stared at the woman, “My parents wouldn’t let me. He is a little cutey though,” I played with his paw through the bars of the cage.

Nodding in understanding, the woman pulled me out of the back and towards the desk where she asked me to sign some forms. After I finished, I walked towards the door and exited the small building, leaving behind all of the animals that begged to be free with me.

As I exited the building, someone blocked my path. Looking up, I sighed loudly and tried to walk away from him. “Move Daniel,” I demanded when he yet again blocked my path.

“I’m sorry,” he said quickly while shuffling his feet side to side.

I stared at him before walking around him. “I don’t care.”

Daniel sighed and turned around grabbing my arm, “Please, I really am sorry for yesterday. It was out of line.”

“So, you apologizing makes it alright?”

We stood in silence for a few moments before I ripped my arm away from Daniel’s grip. We stared at each other for a few seconds, Daniel looked at the ground, “I guess not.”

He turned around and started walking towards the sidewalk crossing. “Wait.”

Daniel stopped and turned his head towards me, “I,” I stuttered. “I don’t really want to do this, but fine. I accept your apology.”

A huge smile split across his face and made me smile softly as well. “I think you should meet my parents for the next date.”

My face turned to shock and confusion, “Why do you want to involve your parents if this is a sham?”

“Because it makes it more realistic!”