Status: New Story! Updates weekly

What Lies Beneath The Surface

TWO

I was tapping my pencil against my desk in class, far too distracted to attempt to pay attention to what the professor is saying.

Something about the assignment I’m assuming.

It wasn’t until I heard the door slam that I realized that class was over and that everyone else had left. That was not normal for me to daze off in class, usually I was the girl who even though never talked, would be the most alert in class.

While packing up my things I let my mind wander over to what happened earlier.

What was I supposed to do?

My gut instinct is to head over to the police station immediately and report what happened but would they really believe me?

It was worth a shot I guess.

I made my way out of the building and headed towards the bus stop. The police station was a good forty five minute walk from here so taking the bus was my best idea. Another reason is that the man murderer could still be around that area.

Possibly waiting for me.

I let out a laugh at that thought. What were the chances that he would be after me? I bet he barely even got a good look considering my fashion taste wasn’t crazy or wild, just average with a few extra band tees.

The bus arrived rather quick, I usually found myself waiting around for what felt like hours. Maybe I was catching a break.

I apologized to the man who I accidently cut off; I should start paying attention to my surroundings. I guess my nerves were getting to me.

After sitting for a few minutes I pulled out my phone and like I had thought, my mother had sent me three text messages and had called twice.

This has been happening ever since I started college. She was the type of mother who was over protective. She never approved of much of what I did even though for a teenager I was quite mellow.

I went to few parties that were hosted by close friends, I got decent grades in school and I was a pretty good daughter.

She would constantly nag on me. She believed I should have stayed home and joined the church committee. That’s what most of my friends did even though they constantly said they would not. I guess they didn’t have enough strength to leave our town which at times, often felt like being stuck in a cult.

It’s a shame really. In the past month I’ve received two wedding invitations from friends.

They were set up on dates by their mothers from boys who went to our church. I was often set up on these dates, but after the sixth deadly boring one, I realized that if I were to ever find a husband, it would not be from that town.

I deleted all messages before slamming the phone shut and practically throwing it into my bag with a huff.

A deep chuckle from across me caught my attention. I gasped at who sat in front of me.

If I didn’t know any better, I would say that it was the murderer.

Oh shit.

I quickly averted my eyes to anywhere but him yet I could still feel his eyes on me.

I was beginning to shake at the thought of being so close to a cold blooded murderer so when the next stop came, I quickly got off and rushed down the street holding my bag very closely to me.

It was getting a bit more crowded considering it was around three in the afternoon on a Friday.

“Excuse me miss!” I heard a shout from behind me. It wasn’t uncommon to hear shouts on the streets.

“Wait up!” Again that same voice shouted. I turned around wondering who the person was shouting at. Maybe I dropped something in my rush which was not uncommon for me.

The murderer stood a good three inches above everyone else on the streets, and even though it was packed his eyes were locked on me. He held something in his hand.

My scarf!

It suck’s too since that was one of my favorites. I would rather let him keep it then talk to him. EVER.

“Hey! You forgot your scarf!” He shouted, gaining on me.

I realized that I would not be able to out walk him so I quickly turned into the next store, soon finding out that it was a diner.

A waitress smiled at me and waved me over to an empty booth by the window. She handed a menu saying she would be back in a few minutes to take my order.

I picked it up not really wanting anything to eat. When I got emotional I never got close to hungry.

I glanced out the window and watched some people walk by. My eyes opened in shock as I saw the murderer walk by. I quickly pulled the menu up to cover my face yet make it look like
I was reading through it.

After a minute I pulled away the menu and let out a sigh of relief from not seeing him there anymore.

The waitress soon came by so I ordered water and small fries, considering those were the cheapest thing on the menu.

While sipping on my water I looked out the window at the people passing by. I couldn’t help but wonder if that man who was killed today had a good life, if he had a girlfriend or a family.
Maybe he was just as bad as the murderer. I would never know.

A tap on my shoulder broke my thoughts. I turned to see whoever it was and choked on my water.

The murderer stood there smiling, while holding my scarf.

“I believe you left this on the bus miss.” He grinned while holding it out for me to take.

“Oh,” I took the scarf, “Um thank you?”

I placed the scarf hesitantly into my bag before turning back to see if he was still there. I was praying that he wasn’t.

God was not on my side today.

Just then my waitress came back and placed my fries on the table.

“Oh! I didn’t know you were waiting for someone.” The waitress cheerfully said. “What would you like sir?” She asked. Why couldn’t she just leave!?

“Just a coffee please,” He said before sitting down across from me.

I guess he didn’t notice how uncomfortable I was feeling.

Could my day possibly get any worse?
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not like the lack of comments & subscribers D:
It makes me awfully sad.
So!
Please comment&subscribe&check out my other stories
Alone In This World
An Ordinary Life? I Don't Think So