Sequel: Here We Go Again
Status: Completed

Change

nineteen.

Taylor and I decided mutually that we would spend the rest of the summer together. This was really for the main reason that we both knew we didn't want to spend the time that we had left apart. Even though it was bittersweet, we tried to act as if nothing was going to change, even though we knew it was.

***

I picked up a few boxes of granola bars and stood up straight, stretching to reach a shelf up high. I jumped as I felt Taylor's chest press up against my back, nearly dropping the bars. Taylor's hand shot up and he caught them easily, pressing up against me even more as he reached up to put them on the shelf. I let out a small, quiet laugh, trying to steady my breathing. His strong arms found their way around my waist and he said gently, "Your mom said to lock up."

I felt his hot breath tickle my ear and he kissed me on the neck before he turned me around gently. My breathing halted and I had to try to regain my focus and balance as Taylor backed me up against the shelves. He removed one hand from my waist, using the back of his big hand to gently brush my hair away from my forehead. He leaned forward a bit, pressing his body lightly against mine. The hand that was in my hair was now trailing up and down my arm, leaving goosebumps in it's wake. I stared up at him, my eyes wide. He gave me a crooked smile.

"You're beautiful."

I let out a shaky breath without meaning to, and I instantly regretted it as his smile turned into a smirk.

"Do I make you nervous?" he whispered as he pulled me even closer into him by the waist.

I shook my head slowly. "No."

He rested his forehead against mine, his smirk fading. He closed his eyes before saying quietly, "Well, you make me nervous."

"It doesn't show," I whispered back, gaining confidence in his moment of vulnerability.

He shook his head, gently moving it from left to right, his forehead still pressed to mine. "I've learned to put on a face in front of people."

I was surprised at his confession. I rested my hand on his neck, my thumb stroking his jaw. His eyes opened at my touch and he pulled his forehead off of mine so that he could look into my eyes. In the dim light of the store, his eyes were a dark grey. His long lashes cast small shadows across his face, making him look ten years older than he was. It suddenly occured to me how much weight this man actually had on his shoulders. Child hockey star, number one draft pick, and now expected to do extremely well. We had never talked about it, because Taylor had never brought it up. Now that I thought about it, the pressure from those around him as well as the huge amount of pressure I was sure he put on himself seemed as though it should have knocked him down by now.

"I hope you know that you don't have to pretend with me," I said gently. I searched his eyes, willing him to understand that I didn't want to be one of those people. I wasn't going to constantly apply pressure, I wasn't going to expect more out of him than he could give me; he didn't always have to say the right thing, he could say what he felt and I wouldn't judge him for it. In that moment, all I wanted was to protect him from the expectations, to help him feel weightless, even if for only a moment. Even if all we had was a few more weeks.

"I'm working on that," he said, laughing gently. I returned the smile, my hands finding their way around his neck. He pushed my back up against the shelves gently and brought his face down to mine. Our noses brushed and I held my breath as I felt his breath against my skin. Our lips connected, and my heart raced even faster than it had been before. Taylor pulled away after a second, and I played with the hair at the back of his head, leaning my head against the boxes behind me. I could tell he had something to say, and I waited patiently. He pressed a kiss to my forehead before sighing and pulling me into his chest. "I'm sorry I ever hurt you."

I pulled away from his chest, his arms still wrapped around me. I looked up at him in surprise. "I thought that was in the past?" I reminded him gently. His fingers ran gently through my hair.

"I know. But I can't believe I ever did. You'll never know how glad I am that you forgave me."

I smiled, reaching up to ruffle the hair just above his forehead. "I'm enjoying this too, you know," I said, motioning between the two of us. Taylor grinned and shook his head. He quickly had me pinned against the shelves again, and he kissed me softly. Our lips seemed to fit perfectly, and he was gentle as always. As he smiled against my lips, I put it in the back of my mind to remember how I felt when I knew he was happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
I lied - there's one more chapter.

:3