Status: Active Like Life:)

I Tried

Colorful People

“Chesney!” I yelled after the five-year-old girl. She laughed her cute little laugh and hid in plain sight. “Hm, where’s Chesney?” I asked out loud. She giggled cutely. “There she is!” I picked her up and spun her around. We both collapsed onto the sand after an intense round of tickling. “Baby girl, you want something to eat?” She nodded enthusiastically. I stood and placed the underweight girl on my hip. I pulled out the food I’d packed for both of us and placed it on the blanket. I looked over the water of the place I used to call my home. I was anxious to see my old family, but it should be easy to avoid them, right? I mean, they’re famous. They shouldn’t be bothered to recognize me.
 
“Mommy, we go into the water?” She looked up at me with her pleading eyes. I smiled and pulled off the silky dress that hid my two-piece. I pulled off the shirt she had over her suit. I stopped her as she ran to the water. I pulled up her longish black hair but she fussed, so I pulled it down again. Loud laughter caught my attention. I looked over and the familiar group of people made my breath hitch in my throat. Looking away quickly, I made my way out to my daughter in the surf. I let the ocean water wash over me, content for the first time in nearly six years. Yes, this is where I belong. 

Chesney and I played around in the water for a little bit until I saw part of the group making their way toward us. Swiftly, I pulled Chesney to me and we hurried to our things.
 
“But Momma, I don’t wanna leave. I wanna stay here!” She whined.
 
“We can come back tomorrow after I get off work, sweetie,” I muttered while throwing our clothes back on and the things in the bag. I folded the blanket and turned around to grab Chesney. I looked around frantically but she wasn’t anywhere in sight. I heard her loud laughter as I caught sight of her shirt and shoes. I quickly pulled off mine and ran into the water where a familiar man was swinging my daughter back and forth. I shook my wet, blond hair out of my eyes and hoped he wouldn’t recognize me. My heart stopped as I looked into those dark and familiar brown eyes.
 
“That’s my daughter,” I said forcefully to the man.
 
“Maybe you should keep better watch on her,” he said jokingly, handing her to me. I took her stiffly.
 
“I’m Brian,” he offer and held out his hand. I stared at it until it dropped.
 
“Kerri,” I said and turned around. I started walking when Chesney started whining again.
 
“Mommy, I wanna stay with the colorful people!” My cheeks heated in mortification. I knew he’d heard because he let out one of those beautiful laughs. I kept walking, refusing to meet his eyes or turn around. We were back to the beach when a hand closed around my wrist.
 
“Hey,” he said. “Don’t leave. Come hang out with us.” He pointed over to where the others were chilling out in the water and on the sand.
 
“I’d rather not,” I grated out. “I have to get to work.” Not all of us are rock stars.
 
“Oh.” I quickly started drying off. I put my towel down and saw Brian helping Chesney dry off and get into her clothes. My heart wrenched. They looked so natural.
 
“Thank you,” I said graciously to him.
 
“No problem,” He smiled at me. “Hopefully, I’ll see you around?”
 
“Maybe.” Hopefully not.
 
“Stay right here,” I told Chesney while trying to unlock the door without dropping anything. “Shit,” I muttered as the food basket headed to the ground where it would break. I waited for the crash but it never came.
 
“You need some more help?” I groaned. I turned around, even though I didn’t need to. I unlocked the door and popped the trunk, throwing the beach stuff inside. I picked Chesney up and placed her in her car seat. I turned back to Brian.
 
“Thanks,” I said curtly and took the basket from him, placing it in the seat next to my daughter. I faced Brian. Something caught my eye. A scar ran from by his left collar bone up to the connection between his right shoulder and neck and twisted around into his hair in the back. But, I knew the scar went much lower than what was visible. He noticed me staring. I wanted to reach up and trace the line with my finger. He opened his mouth to speak when Chesney started whining from inside the Honda.  
 
“I really should get going. Thanks for all your help,” I muttered just loud enough for him to hear me.
 
“No problem, really.” I slid into the driver’s seat and started the car. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him watching the car. I sighed.
 
“Momma, can we stop for a drink?” Chesney’s small voice chimed.
 
“Sure, baby girl. Where do you want to go?” I looked in the mirror at her. Her face lit up, making me smile. She was so easy to please.
 
“Sonic!”
 
I pulled into the pull-in and pressed the red button.
 
“Welcome to Sonic.” The monotone voice asked.
 
“Yes, I’d like a diet Ocean Water and a cherry cream slush.” He repeated the order and I slid my card. The order was brought out shortly and we were on our way to the daycare.  I pulled the car seat straps off and lifted the child into my arms. The walk was short and I signed Chesney in.

"You'll be good for me, right?" Her chocolatey brown eyes stared into my brilliant blue orbs. She nodded and clung to me before I gently pulled her arms from my shoulder. 

"She'll be fine," the babysitter said soothingly. I looked up at her. I wasn't worried about Chesney. She knew how to take care of herself. She'd had to where we lived. But I smiled politely.

"I'm sure she will." I dropped a kiss on my daughter's forehead before I walked out. 

I pulled up outside my new workplace. It was a hell of a lot nicer than my past jobs. I took off my shouldered vest, revealing the intricate artwork inked into my skin. 

"You must be Juliette." I winced. I hadn't heard that in years.

"Kerri," I corrected politely. We shook hands. I took a second to look around the familiar shop. I'd gotten my first tattoo, the blue heart on my hip, here.

"Wow, you look like-" I cut her off.

"I know, I get that a lot 'round here." We laughed.

"Is that a Brooklyn accent I hear?" she asked interestedly. I nodded. 

"Well, I'm Cherry. It's nice to meet ya."

The day passed slowly, not many people came in. After the day was over, I left my car at the parlor and walked the few blocks to the Pier. The parlor sat on Main St. 

I let my feet dangle over the edge, relaxing for the first time since moving. I didn't sit there for long, knowing I had to pick Chesney up. 

I hurried back to the car, and drove quickly to the daycare. 

"She was an angel," the worker told me.

"Thank you," I said, placing the young girl on my hip.

"Momma?" she asked as I placed her in the car. "May we see the colorful people again?" I sighed.

"I don't know sweetie. Maybe."
♠ ♠ ♠
1,350 words.

First chapter, hope you like it. I haven't written hetero in a while, so bear with me. Comments are much appreciated;) Ash's is up next! She may not write for a while so bear with us!!! :D