Status: Active Like Life:)

I Tried

Keep A Secret

I avoided taking Chesney to the beach for about a week. After that, her insistent begging drove me to take her back. She was wishing to see the 'colorful people' again. I hoped they would stay far away. Hopefully, they had better things to do.

I sat on my towel watching Chesney play in the shallow surf, hoping to tan away the natural paleness that cursed my family. A shadow fell over me. I knew who it was from the figure on the ground with the spiked hair.

"Johnny."

"Kerri," he said in the same informal tone. "I thought you weren't coming back."

"I wasn't. But, I ran out of money and...well, I guess. This is my home."

"Jimmy is still really upset."

"He doesn't have to be." He only knew I was his twin for two years, only knew me for two before that. Our parents weren't exactly the best. Jimmy had told me on numerous occasions that I was lucky to be the one left up for adoption.

"You're his sister. He treats the day you left as if it were the day you died!" The sentence was left hanging in the air. After a moment, Johnny looked over his shoulder and I followed his gaze to see Lacey slowly approaching.

"I know you think what you did was right, and it might have been at the time, but now...they all have a right to know." He stood up swiftly and brushed the sand off his shorts. Lacey was almost to us.

"Who was that?" I heard her ask as they walked away.

"No one." It pained me to hear that. "Now, what restaurant are we meeting at?"

"Brian made a reservation at Ruby's." I barely heard her as they walked to the PCH, their voices being swallowed by the racing cars as they crossed.

I sighed and looked back over the water to where my daughter played in the surf. Maybe Johnny was right.

Lacey's POV

"Who was that at the beach?" I asked again for the fifth time, determined to find out.

"She's an old friend, okay?" He sounded exasperated. I knew of his old ways.

"Friend?" I asked scornfully.

"No-Fuck, not like that," he defended quickly, a little too quickly. My eyebrow raised as I pulled away from him. I didn't care, that was before we were together, but I wanted him to be truthful about.

"Shit, Lacey-" I cut him off.

"We'll talk later." I turned to the waiting table.

"No, we'll talk about it now."

"Johnny, they're waiting on us." I gestured to where I could see them looking over expectantly at us. Brian had an agitated expression.

"Who gives a fuck?" I rolled my eyes.

"I do," I hissed. I just wanted the truth. Not more lies. I exploded when he grabbed my arm, preventing me from walking away.

"Fuck, let me go! I want the truth is that too much to ask?" I saw the flame of anger spark to a full fire. I shrank back, never having seen him so angry.

"Do you even realize how petty you sound?" he hissed lowly.

"Petty? I just want the truth. I couldn't care two shits who you've slept with, I'd just like to know when I meet one!" He laughed. He fucking laughed. I yanked my arm free as he doubled over and I turned around.

"Shit, Lacey. Wait!" I knew we were putting on a show. I wanted it to end.

"She is just a friend," he said. Over his shoulder, I saw Zacky approaching us. "She's like my sister." I saw something in Johnny's eyes that I rarely ever saw, desperation. He was hiding something.

"Can I at least know her name?" I saw conflict in his eyes before one side finally won.

"Juli." I looked up into his open face. No.

"No." Johnny turned around quickly and we saw Zacky with wide eyes. Johnny dragged us both outside by our wrists.

"You can't say anything," he begged when we stood safely by the railing overlooking the PCH.

"How long have you known?" I asked. How could he? She was one of my best friends in high school.

"She called me the day after Prom." He looked down at the railing where his hands were clasped together. "She begged me not to tell you anything. Brian went off on her and she'd snapped. She couldn’t come back after that because of her damn pride."

"You've known the entire time?" I couldn't believe him. It was impossible. There was no way he could keep a secret that big for so many years, knowing how much we missed her.

"How could you not say something?"

"Guys, come on!" Brian yelled from the doorway.

"Please don't say anything," he begged again. I wouldn't but I could tell that Zacky couldn't lie to his friend. Hell, I probably wouldn't be able to either. We walked through the doors and to the reserved table.

"Fucking finally," Matt muttered under his breath. I shot him a glare that had his wife Val laughing. We laughed, talked, ate and drank.

I knew Zacky was going to say something as we finished our last drinks by the look on his face. He opened his mouth.

"Brian-" Brian cut him off.

"Wait a sec. I have something to say first."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Sorry it took a little bit, finals and mom were a bitch. Hopefully I can write quicker now:)

Thanks to Baby.Blue.Eyes for the comment!