Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

Oh, to be chased by the ones you love...

I burst through the dense forest at a run, ignoring the briars and thorns that suck to me as I fought to escape. Fabric from my peasant dress tore, leaving behind a strip of brown material to sway on a twig. Rocks and sticks stabbed into my bare feet, forcing me to trail drips of blood as I ran. My chest felt heavy, as if an unseen force was pressing against it and making it hard to breathe.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I heard their angry voices behind me. They were screaming, inciting everyone into a more frenzied riot. I could hear the shots they fired from their guns as I ran, a bullet just grazing my cheek right before it hurled into a large tree.

I cried out with the pain, the wound stinging as more tears soaked into it. Still I didn’t stop running, instead blindly heading into the dangerous forest. I’ve grown up fearing this place, the stories of monsters and man-eaters giving me nightmares when I was little. Now it’s the only place I can go, the only place I know where they won’t hunt me forever.

“No!” I cried as my foot caught in the lifted root of a tree. I fell, my hands taking the brunt of the fall as I tried to protect myself. The moss wasn’t that soft as my face slammed into it, the cushy plant not thick enough to protect me from the hard ground beneath it.

Pushing myself up I quickly jump back to my feet. Pushing back pain I continue to run as the villagers grew closer, their shouts louder and more excited. Still, I was ahead of them, faster and more athletic than the other men and woman of the village. I started to let myself hope, thinking that escape was a true possibility, when I heard the first howl.

Hope was replaced by fear as I realized I couldn’t outrun the dogs that the villagers used for hunting. I can already hear the dogs as they ran, following the smell of my blood. I pushed myself to run faster, knowing that it was foolish to even try.

Pushing my way through a thick bush I try to find a river or creek, anything with water that can wash away my scent, but instead I find a giant fallen tree, the thick trunk blocking any exit that I could see. Turning I try to backtrack, but am stopped once again as three large dogs skidded to a stop in front of me.

I screamed again as they growled, snarling as saliva dripped from their sharp teeth. I sobbed as they herded me back against the tree, my dark curly hair plastered to my face. The dogs continued to advance, surrounding me as the villagers entered behind them.

“Shoot her!” one screamed.

“I say we cut her to pieces!” another cried.

“No! Let the dogs tear her a little!” a final called, his suggestion followed by agreeing cries and hoots.

“Get her, boys!” the leader called, giving the command to release the dogs from their spots.

The animals charged, teeth snapping and their teeth gleaming as I imagined their eyes locking on my throat. Taking a running leap the dog in front of me landed on my chest, his teeth nipping at my neck. My head fell back against the tree, the bark cutting into my scalp as the dog sank his canines into my shoulder.