Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

Fearful possibilities...

The forest was dark, darker than usual, which made it hard to see where I was going. I don’t know where Ulric is, I had fallen asleep in his arms only to wake up alone and cold. I can’t take being cold now that I’ve found Ulric’s warmth. The cold scared me, monsters lived in the cold and only Ulric’s warmth could make them go away.

Stumbling through the dark I call out Ulric’s name again and again, but he never answered. His roar never sounded through the trees and his voice never whispered my name. Still I continued to call for him, fear entering my voice when shadows began to move around me. I tried to ignore them, but they kept coming closer and closer. Soon they were close enough to touch me, their unsubstantial hands gliding through my skin and leaving me ice cold.

I tried to pull away, but there were too many of them. They continued to grab at me, trying to pull me in every direction even though their hands slid right through my body. The more they touched me the colder I got until the chills became painful. I cried out as the pain spread through my body and still the shadows didn’t stop. Instead they grew frantic, swiping at me with all they had until I collapsed on the ground.

Once I was down they suddenly stopped, quickly disappearing into the dark forest as a larger shadow appeared. It towered over me, the shape similar to a Creature’s. At first relief flooded through me, then the Creature growled and it sounded nothing like Ulric. It stepped closer and suddenly light appeared around it, causing me to gasp in surprise.

Leaning over me was Terrance in his Creature form. He snarled and showed his teeth as another Creature appeared behind him. The second Creature walked forward into the light so that it was standing slightly behind Terrance. The light expanded to show the Creature’s brown fur, allowing me to realize this was the same Creature that had fought with Katima.

Both of them circled around me, growling and snarling until I was shaking on the ground. The brown Creature stopped walking and leaned over my body, his tongue landing on my neck and dragging across my face. I tried to stay as still as possible, only moving when I breathed, but when he enveloped my neck in his mouth I ceased breathing. Tears fell from my eyes as his mouth tightened. His teeth pressed against my flesh and his oddly cold breath touched my skin with every exhale. I could do nothing but pray for Ulric to come, and come quick.

My eyes locked onto Terrance as he stopped in front of me. He snapped at my face, his teeth barely missing the tip of my nose as the brown Creature’s teeth pressed further, the ends now cutting into my flesh. Fresh tears fell from my eyes as Terrence leaned back and looked at the brown Creature. Then he did something that shocked me.

In a voice raspy with growls, Terrance spoke, “Kill her.”

The brown Creature closed his mouth in one quick snap.

Screaming my hands flew to my neck as I sat up, breathing hard and feeling for any bite marks on my smooth skin. I was sitting on a blanketed cot in a hut that looked similar to the ones from the Creature colony. The room was dark, only the moonlight shining through a small opening in the wall across from me giving me sight. My breathing was stressed and my chest tight as I pulled my legs up and wiped the sweat from my face.

The dream replayed through my mind, giving me chills and adding more tears to my cheeks. In my village dreams were thought to be untold prophecies, images of what is to come and what is to be. If that’s true then my future is full of fear and death.

“Roana?”

I jumped when my voice was called, looking up to see Emera entering the room. She gave me a small smile and sat beside me on the cot, wrapping me in her arms.

“I heard you scream. It must have been a terrible dream.”

I nodded against her shoulder, “Where’s Ulric?”

“He’s questioning the man who attacked you and Katima in the forest.”

I pulled back and stared at her, “He’s still alive?”

Emera nodded, brushing the hair from my face, “Katima and Kyros brought him back. We need at least one of them to question. It would have been nice to be able to question both, but Ulric killed that one.”

“How did I get here?” The last thing I remember is falling asleep in the forest.

“Ulric carried you here while you slept. We put you in this room to rest a little bit ago while he went to deal with the traitor.”

I swallowed, “When will he be back?”

Emera frowned, “I don’t know, is your dream bothering you? You can tell me.”

I shook my head and buried my face against my knees, “I just need him.”

I heard Emera sigh and felt her stand from the cot, “I’ll have someone fetch him.”

Her presence left the room, leaving me alone to deal with the cold. I could still feel the shadows, the brown Creature’s teeth, all over my skin. Every second felt like forever as I waited for Emera to return with Ulric. As I waited, the dream came back; each feeling amplified the third time around. Whimpers were escaping my closed lips as the brown Creature’s cold breath touch my flesh once more, but instead of hearing Terrance’s voice I was pulled away from the Creature, the dream, when Ulric called my name.

“Roana?”

I looked up to see him standing in human form at the entrance, a frown on his brow. Before he could step closer I leap from the bed, covering the distance so that his arms caught me against him. His warmth was now all I felt, chasing the painful cold away until I could breathe again. I held him close as I began shaking, this time with relief. He leaned his head against mine, rubbing my back with his large hands in a soothing pattern.

“It’s okay, I’ve got you.”

His warmth was so soothing that I found it hard to keep my eyes open. I was afraid to fall asleep again, but Ulric will keep me safe.

“Don’t let go,” I whispered, sleep taking control of me.

“Never. I’ll never let go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm tired. This is what you get... you better like it!

Or I'll... I'll... I don't know, but when I do, it'll be horrible.

Horrible I tell you!

Comment please XD