Sequel: Wolf's Kiss

Wolf's Heart

The truth becomes the unthought-of...

The room wasn’t all that large, just big enough to fit Ulric, Kyros, and I plus the prisoner and a guard. Just as Kyros said, there were shafts of light that formed from a few round holes in the top of the rock. In the middle of the room hung the Creature in human form, his wrists tied tightly together so that his fingers were changing color from the lack of blood circulation. His body was covered in abrasions and welts, blood leaking from his many wounds to gather on the stone ground.

His light brown hair was caked with sweat and blood while a blood stained towel hung low on his hips. Other than the dark stains the towel was otherwise white, leading me to believe they had covered him for my sake. His head was flung against his chest as his breathing became labored; his wheezing sounds making me think he had a broken rib that punctured his lung.

He didn’t move when we entered the room, either not noticing us or not caring. His body slightly swung in the air, his feet unable to touch the bottom which put more stress on his wrists and kept his momentum going. Even though he and his friend had attacked us I couldn’t help but to feel sympathetic at the very uncomfortable position he was forced to be in. I understand why he’s in the position he is, but I still feel sorry for him.

Kyros glanced at Ulric and me before he walked to the man and took a handful of his hair, using it to painfully pull his head up. Once they locked eyes Kyros slapped him, making sure to leave a red welt against the man’s face, “Ready to talk yet?”

The man spit a mouthful of blood onto the floor before glaring at Kyros, “I’ll talk to Roana.”

I was surprised with how strong his voice was. While his body was weak his voice sounded as if the torture never happened. His eyes still held spirit and strength, even amusement glittered in them.

“Well,” Kyros drawled, “I guess it’s a good thing she’s standing right here, now isn’t it?”

Kyros took another handful of hair and turned the man’s face toward me. Our gazes locked and a weird shiver of familiarity ran down my spine. The angry welt from Kyros’ slap was bright against his pale skin, but it still didn’t take away from the life glimmering in his striking blue eyes. The blue was almost white, giving the impression his eyes were more alien than human.

He studied me just as hard as I studied him, his lips curving into a smirk when he glanced at Ulric by my side, “I bet it’s too much to ask if I could talk to her privately?”

Ulric growled as Kyros backhanded him, “Don’t be stupid. You’ve got about twenty seconds to talk to her before it’s just you and me all alone.”

This time when he looked at me fondness was reflected in his gaze. I frowned at the emotion, wondering why someone who had been a part of an attack against me yesterday would look at me with fondness. When a whole minute had passed with him just staring at me Ulric growled and latched onto my arm so that he could pull me out of the cave.

“Wait!”

We all stopped at the man’s call. He looked almost desperate now, his eyes wide as he stared at me.

“Please, wait.”

I placed my hand over Ulric’s, silently telling him that I wanted to hear what this man has to say.

I took a deep breath, “I’m here, but I won’t wait for much longer. What do you want?”

He swallowed, suddenly nervous, “I… um,” he paused to gather his thoughts; “my brother and I were searching for our lost sister when we came upon you and your… friend,” he snarled that last word as if it left a bad taste in his mouth, “in the forest.”

When he fell silent I frowned, “The why did you attack us?”

He shook his head quickly, “I wasn’t attacking you, I was protecting you.”

“What? Protecting me? Why? Why didn’t you continue looking for your sister?”

“Because we found her.”

I heaved a sigh and looked at Ulric, “I suck at this interrogation stuff,” turning back to the man I glared at him, “why did you attack my friend?”

His response was so soft I barely heard him, but when his words registered I could barely breathe with my shock.

“I attacked her because I thought she was keeping my sister hostage, keeping you hostage.”

Ulric’s roar shook the mountain around us.
♠ ♠ ♠
FIVE STARS?!?!?!?

You guys are AMAZING!!!

Once again, let me know if there're any mistakes.

AAAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDD did you catch the TWO twists I have there at the end? Let me know what you think they are XD